Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Familiar Face

Default The Boatyard in Barbados, BEWARE

The Boatyard is a "must" go to for a great day of beach activity with soft sand bottom, sandy beach, good waves, lounge chairs and umbrellas to rent at very reasonable prices. Also, a place to buy food and drinks as well. This place was brought to my attention about a month ago from past cruisers. I would still recommend cruisers to go there B-U-T
when you pay your admission D-O N-O-T use your credit card. Case in point, the will take Visa or MC. Not being told, there is a "foreign currency charge" that they don't tell you about that's slapped onto your credit card 2-3 days after the transaction takes place. Also, there is a fee that's put on the individual admission purchase when using your credit card. AFTER signing the charge receipt we inquired about the fee for the individual admission purchase, the reply was vague and the reason was not viable so we opted to get a credit on the charges we made and pay cash instead. Well, instead of the Boatyard issuing us a credit we were actually charged TWICE for the admission, two days after it showed on our statement that a foreign currency fee was charged TWICE. This proceedure didn't seem out of the ordinary when we thought we were being issued a credit the Boatyard but what happened we were actually being charged twice ! After four phone calls to the Boatyard, 4 emails, two calls to our credit card Company we were issued our refund in full.
Case in point, if you use your credit card in a foreign country be ready to pay the foreign currency fee as well as an extra charge on the item or admission. (You wont be told about any of this at the time of purchase, especially at the Boatyard. And, be certain that the person who you're dealing with knows exactly what they're doing and they can and will answer your questions completely. Better yet... It's better to just pay cash in U.S. dollars. Alot safer, less hastle.
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Passenger

You will encounter this in a lot of forign ports. There will almost allways be an exchange fee applied as well as a bank service charge. Banks usually charge up to 3% of the purchase price. There are banks that do not. Capitol One does not charge that 3% fee to for international purchases but you will have to pay the current rate of exchange.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Admiral

I recently noticed the transaction fee when we were in Canada earlier this year. It was the first time I saw it.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh my, I never heard of this fee, thanks for letting us know.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Admiral

What's in your wallet?? This is why I got a Capitol One card. They do not charge an exchange fee on any purchase in a foreign country. Every other card I've seen does this.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Captain

Ok. how much is the transaction fee on say admission to
the Boatyard?