Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default For Everyone Renting a Car - READ

Folks its starting to come to light about the uglies of car rental agencies & franchise rental agencies (there's a difference between Corporate & franchise). Corporate rental agenicies and franchise's can differ in the case of a dispute.
Here's some tips to follow when you return one, whether its at the same location or another location.

ALWAYS have an employee go over the car to inspect for any damage and have them sign off that the car was returned with no damage. THIS IS YOUR ONLY PROOF that they received the vehicle back with no damage.

A man was billed $800+ 6 months later after returning a rental car for damages he didn't do.

If nobody is there, take pictures of the car whether on your personal camera or cell phone. Video tape it if need be.

Always keep the receipt the rental agencies give you. It may vary with the charge that appears on your credit card statement. Most people don't bother viewing either one.

Just a heads up. I'm sure there at least one person on here who may have had a bad experience with a rental agency.

Surprisingly, you don't hear these stories in the media.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I had a simular expierence when renting a car while mine was in for repair. We did the normal walk around the car looking for obvious dents/scratches, but never the windows. When I returned it a week later, they were claiming a chip in the windshield of the passenger side. I had never seen it while driving or noticed if it was there prior to me driving out of the lot, it was never noted that ANY glass was checked and to my error, I didn't either.

I ended up having to pay 180 for a new windshield that I most likely did not do, but didn't check prior to taking car.

So, YES, beware, I will not use Enterprise again, I felt I had been had...and there was nothing I could do, other than pay for it and be done with it, wasn't worth a lot of hassle. I did have them check back on the previous renters, but of course nothing was noted....

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Captain

Also, they love to sell you their overpriced insurance. But if you have full coverage insurance for your own cars, you are generally covered fine for the rental cars...Check with your insurance company before renting to make sure. Also, remember to carry a copy of your personal, car insurance with you in the rental car.

I hadn't heard that they are starting to scam people regarding damage to the vehicle so that is good to know. Whenever I've taken a car back, they are usually in such a hurry to grab the keys and get it ready for the next renter, I don't think they paid much attention...Maybe that's starting to change though. I know they can be really tight about it coming back with a full tank of gas and it is usually much cheaper to just agree to bring it back full instead of using their "bring it back almost empty" program.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
First Mate

I wonder if you typed up a statement that said " I have inspected the vehicle returned by XXX on XXXX date and found no damage of any sort" if you could get anyone at the rental office to sign it?

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas