Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Imposing Fuel Surcharges

Please excuse me. I would not bother anyone, but a friend of mine who will be cruising in March on the Valor has been told by Carnival that there will be an increase to everyone in the cabin of $50.00. They already paid for their cruise.

Is this just a condition of the times?

Also, she is lucky enough to have her cruise dream, thanks to Brewtown, mine is forever lost..up in a a nasty puff of smoke for no good reason.

Diane J. White

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sign of the times

Just as the price of gasoline is going up, the price of fuel for the ship is going up as well. Cruise lines will either be implementing fuel surcharges or adding the extra cost to the fare (under non-commissionalble charges). Not sure which way RCI will go, but you can bet that they'll recoup the higher fuel costs somehow.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Admiral

This is a condition of the times for sure, as the price of fuel goes up we will pay more for just about everything we use. All companies that we do business with will raise their prices to recoup the cost of fuel. Of course consumers have no way of passing the cost on to someone else.

Manuel
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

RCCL customer service stated that it had no intention of adding a fuel surcharge at this time.

They are aware that Carnival has done this.

If Brewtown wants to make certain that I called, I spoke to Audrey at approximately 4:15 this afternoon at 1-866-562-7625.

That is just to make certain that I cannot be called a liar. Everyone knows that Brewtown thinks that people who smoke are the scum of the earth and harrassed me on this site until I gave up my dream of cruising.

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Everyone knows that Brewtown thinks that people who smoke are the scum of the earth and harrassed me on this site until I gave up my dream of cruising
Diane,

For anyone to give up a cruise because of what somewhat said on an internet message board is a huge mistake! You find all kinds of people on cruise ship, and the vast majority are there to meet people, and enjoy.

You have to just ignore the nonsense that occurred and "get back on the horse".
Old November 12th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Yep, Carnival is charging $5 per passenger, per day. It's not a big deal to me & I just got my notice today from the TA that this was being added.

Compared to filling up my car? $35 is nothing!

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Admiral

Carnival Corp. said that six of its brands would institute a fuel surcharge of $5 per person, per day, starting with sailings that depart Feb. 1. The surcharge will not exceed $70 per passenger, per sailing, and will be applied to the first and second passengers in a cabin on Carnival Corp.'s six North America brands: Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn Cruises. A letter sent to travel agents said that agents would receive $10 per booking for notifying already-booked clients of the charge and for collecting the fee.

Oceania Cruises added a fuel surcharge of $7 per passenger, per day, effective Dec. 1 for new reservations and existing bookings that have not reached final payment. The charge applies to published sailings through April 2009. Regent Seven Seas Cruises instituted a fuel surcharge of $7.50 per person, per day for all 2008 bookings not paid in full by Dec. 1.
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Admiral

Default No retroactive hike for fuel fees

In addition to above:

"Travel Insured International said it will not retroactively add premium for Travel Protection plans previously purchased for cruises to which lines attach fuel surcharges.
The non-increase of premium applies to any Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector comprehensive or Post-Departure policy bought and fully paid before fuel surcharges were announced for the cruise being protected. However, Travel Insured will charge premium to reflect any fuel surcharges applied to future departures for Protection Plans purchased on or after the date a line announces a fuel surcharge policy.

For example, Carnival Corp. on Nov. 7 announced surcharges for six brands for all departures on Feb. 1 or after. The Travel Insured pricing response means no additional premium for policies purchased before Nov. 7, for cruises on the six Carnival brands departing on or after Feb. 1.

The premium will reflect the fuel surcharge for cruises booked on or after Nov. 7 for departures on or after Feb. 1."
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeteach68
Everyone knows that Brewtown thinks that people who smoke are the scum of the earth and harrassed me on this site until I gave up my dream of cruising.
Who the heck cares what someone on the internet said about smoking.

If you want to go on a cruise go on a cruise. If your a smoker, you can smoke in the designated smoking areas.
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Default Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Announces Fuel Supplement

In an effort to deal with the sharp increase in fuel prices, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today announced the implementation of a fuel supplement of $5 per guest per day for sailings that depart on or after February 1, 2008.
"I thank our guests for understanding our need to implement this fuel supplement," said Brian Rice, executive vice president and chief financial officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "We have gone to great lengths to minimize the impact of rising fuel costs, for example, designing and building more fuel-efficient ships, installing energy-saving lighting, and using air conditioning more efficiently. Unfortunately, as fuel prices have reached record highs, we are forced to take this extraordinary step to offset those costs."
The company has taken measures to soften the impact of this decision. For example, the company will not apply the supplement on any bookings where the guest has already paid the full cost of the cruise. In addition, guests who were booked before November 16, and who do not agree to pay the supplement, may cancel their reservation prior to December 7, 2007, for a full refund of all monies they have paid to the company, and they will not be subject to any cancellation charges that would normally apply. Those guests who do not cancel their reservation and pay in full will receive one logo item per stateroom, onboard their cruise. Finally, the supplement will apply only to the first and second guests in each stateroom and will not exceed $70 per person, per sailing.
The supplement will assist the company in offsetting the widespread increases in fuel prices, which have more than doubled in recent years. The supplement will be periodically reviewed, with the intent of being temporary, and may be adjusted as fuel prices fluctuate.
The company will provide travel agents with an administrative fee of $12 per existing booking to help offset the costs associated with contacting guests with existing reservations and collecting payment of the supplement for each booking that sails on or after February 1, 2008.
The charge will involve three Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. brands: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises. Pullmantur Cruises, the Madrid-based, wholly-owned subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd, has also implemented a fuel supplement of (euro) 50 for its tours and cruises that depart on or after January 1, 2008.
"We know the rising cost of fuel has affected everyone, and, unfortunately, our company is no different," Rice said. "We hope the options we are providing, including additional time for guests to finalize vacation plans, will underscore our commitment to our guests."
The supplement is effective for new and existing North American bookings. The company cannot predict the impact of the fuel supplement on its earnings, as it does not know the number of new or existing bookings that will accept the proposed supplement.
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Passenger

Of all the cruise lines, RCCL and Celebrity have been the most fair. Cruises after 2/1/08 that were paid in full are exempt. The charge is 5.00 per person, first and second passengers and there is a cap of 70.00 per voyage.
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Passenger

Lucky! Just settled the final payment yesterday! Save USD60

Past Cruises:
Super Star Leo 08/04/00;Star Pisces 08/12/01;
Omar II 2002; Star Pisces 06/08/04; Omar III 09/17/05;
Golden Princess 01/15/06; Star Pisces 07/09/06; SuperStar Aquarius 3D2N 07/06/07;
SuperStar Libra 3D2N 01/16/08; Rhapsody OTS 6D5N 02/08/08;
SuperStar Virgo 4D3N 05/18/08
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Imposing Fuel Charges

Hello Fellowcruisers,

I was hoping that RCCL would not impose this fuel surcharge. With this surcharge, we basically will not be taking a cruise to Alaska. It's very unfortunate, but cannot afford the tax Alaska has recently imposed and now the additional fuel surcharge.

It will be interesting to see what impacts, if any, this fuel surcharge will have on all future cruises.

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Jubilee 2004
Carnival Valour 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brillance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Imposing Fuel Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Hello Fellowcruisers,

I was hoping that RCCL would not impose this fuel surcharge. With this surcharge, we basically will not be taking a cruise to Alaska. It's very unfortunate, but cannot afford the tax Alaska has recently imposed and now the additional fuel surcharge.

It will be interesting to see what impacts, if any, this fuel surcharge will have on all future cruises.

elf
Sorry elf if USD 70.- (2 tanks of gas in your car!?) will destroy your Alaska cruise. But I doubt fuel supplement is going to be the make or break for most people, providing it doesn’t go too high
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Diane - since when do you let a total stranger dominate your life? That's like not flying on a airplane from 9/11 days. You let the other person win, therefore has control over your life.

You aren't going on a cruise because some stranger on the internet is smoke-thumping to the world? Tell him to go smoke-thump on the tobacco's company property.

Go on a cruise, ignore said internet smoke-thumper & have fun!

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Diane - since when do you let a total stranger dominate your life? That's like not flying on a airplane from 9/11 days. You let the other person win, therefore has control over your life.
You aren't going on a cruise because some stranger on the internet is smoke-thumping to the world? Tell him to go smoke-thump on the tobacco's company property.
Go on a cruise, ignore said internet smoke-thumper & have fun!
Hasn´t this thread derailed if smoking or no smoking is what you write about The topic is "Imposing fuel charges"
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Passenger

My head's spinning, I too thought this was about fuel. Where did the smoking issue come from? If I couldn't afford the Alaska tax and fuel charge that I would have to pay then I shouldn't be going on a cruise at all. I still feel cruising gets the most bang for your vacation buck, but to see people canceling because of it, just seems dumb to me. It would be like me saying I don't like paying 3.50 for a gallon of milk, so I am going to stop giving it to my children, that's nonsense. I have weighed the costs between cruise and other vacations and cruise wins everytime. Of course if we don't take any vacations at all then we have nothing to complain about.
Old November 17th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Imposing Fuel Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Hello Fellowcruisers,

elf
Sorry elf if USD 70.- (2 tanks of gas in your car!?) will destroy your Alaska cruise. But I doubt fuel supplement is going to be the make or break for most people, providing it doesn’t go too high
Or one tank of gas in my car.
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Admiral

My opinion doesn't mean a thing to anyone but me but I had rather the cruise lines be up front , as they have , and say they are adding a fuel surcharge because of the high costs of the fuel rather than just silently increase the rates a few dollars a person.
Those ships don't get miles per gallon--they get gallons per mile and I am really surprised they waited as long as they did before imposing the surcharge.
I don't want to pay more either but if the fuel surcharge is going to make or break my cruise, I honestly don't need to be cruising to begin with.
Counter the surcharge by just buying less. Do you really need all those photos-- do you really, really need that pedicure-- do you really need that extra borttle of wine-- just cut back a little and the surcharge will be balanced out--or spend like crazy and don't worry--be happy !
Old November 17th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I accept it as a reasonable cost of doing business. I don't get pedicures or manicures anyway but could probably cut out one beer a day and won't notice. I should still get a good buzz on 19 beers a day.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old November 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM
First Mate

Although we all might understand the need for a fuel surcharge, the fact of the matter is if you have a deposited booking, you have a contract that disallows such charges. The only charge which can be increased according to RCCL's own rules, is taxes and government fees. This is about breach of contract and consumer fraud. Further, there was an agreement in the late 1990's in settlement of various cruise lines overcharging for port fees and pocketing the extra money, which reiterates this.
http://myfloridalegal.com/__85256222...=0,norris,1997

You can use that site to file a complaint with the Fl AG if you have a current booking on deposit. (click contact us on the header). I also advise you to contact your state's AG to file a complaint as the contract is enforceable in your state as well, as state's have varying consumer fraud laws. Info has been changed in the last day on RCI's website, but cannot be retroactive to your date of booking.

RCI had a 15% increase in revenue in the 3rd quarter, and while they may very well need a surcharge going forward, they need to honor their contract with those who have already deposited. Note that they are not charging the surcharge for new bookings for their Dec and Jan cruises, so I doubt they are in dire straights enough to have to renege on their contracts with those already under deposit.
Old November 17th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quite interesting as I have two cruises booked myself for the Spring. I also read that they are giving the TA's money in order to collect the surcharge from the guest. I do believe the surcharge may be needed to offest the increase in fuel costs but also agree that if you are already booked, they should leave it alone and only charge it for new bookings. I will be interested to see how it plays out. They did give you an out by letting you cancel with full refund if you don't want to pay it.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old November 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Folks,
Once we pay the surcharge it will never go away.
Just like we will never again see gas at the pump under 2.80.
Old November 17th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Familiar Face

When we booked back in September for a 4/12/08 cruise on the Liberty. We could of paid the whole thing but were told to wait. Why not collect the intrest on our money instead of letting them. Which I agree with. Now it looks like it may cost me money. I thought that once I signed the contract they couldn't raise my rate. As for thier generous offer to allow us to cancel the booking, what am I going to do with the $1000 worth of non refundalbe air fare I have purchased. Don't get me wrong, its not that it will keep me from going, but I think it's wrong to add to the cost once booked.

Carnival Dream 1/2012

Oasis April 10
Liberty of the Seas 08
Carnival Triumph 05
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Admiral

bipram,
You make a very good point.
Too bad we are powerless.
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I accept it as a reasonable cost of doing business. I don't get pedicures or manicures anyway but could probably cut out one beer a day and won't notice. I should still get a good buzz on 19 beers a day.
Well I'll have to either cut out the daily Peppermint Mocha or cut out the daily Mojito! This is a tough decision!

I don't do any spa treatments on ship they are much cheaper back home.

But on second thought I think I'll cut $5. per day on the kids arcade credit and keep my daily Peppermint Mocha and Mojito!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
bipram,
You make a very good point.
Too bad we are powerless.
You are never powerless unless you choose to be. Take action -- see my post above with a link to the Fl AG, and contact your own state's AG. There is a reason that sqeaky wheels get the grease. Bookings under deposit have a contract under which they were booked, and that should not be allowed to be abrogated.
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Admiral

I meant that we are powerless from this point on for sailings after Feb. We will know of the surcharge before choosing to cruise.
Fortunately, our cruise is in December and we paid in full when we booked.
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Fuel Surcharge

Hi Roland,

I just wish 2 tanks of gas would cost me $70.00. I do not know what the price of gasoline is in Sweden, but in Bermuda it costs at least $45.00 (depending how low I let the gas indicator go down to) to fill up a 2-cylinder car per week.

I am still trying to get confirmation with my t.a. on whether we have to pay the additional fuel surcharge, since we have booked and paid for our 2008 cruises.

Big Red Boat
Carnival Valour 2004
Carnival Jubilee 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brillance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Fuel Surcharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Hi Roland,
I just wish 2 tanks of gas would cost me $70.00. I do not know what the price of gasoline is in Sweden, but in Bermuda it costs at least $45.00 (depending how low I let the gas indicator go down to) to fill up a 2-cylinder car per week.
Price for gasoline over here is more than USD 7.-/gallon.