Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Familiar Face

Default Formal Night: RCCL compared to Princess

We're sailing for the first time on the Serenade of the Seas in March. We've sailed Princess before and for formal nights my husband rented a tux (and shoes) I had a long black silk gown, my teenage daughter had a cocktail length homecoming dress and teenage son had a black suit -- pretty formal! Everyone looked so wonderful!

As I read through info on RCCL website, formal night doesn't seem as formal as Princess. What are your thoughts for those of you that have sailed Princess and RCCL? So far DD and I are thinking of a black cocktail dresses, husband gray suit and teenage son TBD - maybe a suit from ebay or a second hand store. Will we be dressed ok or underdressed?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I actually think, both Royal Caribbean and Princess formal's evenings are pretty close. I'd wear the same kind of formalware on Royal Caribbean that you wore on Princess. You'll see a lot of everything, but almost everyone dresses to the nines.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
I'd wear the same kind of formalware on Royal Caribbean that you wore on Princess. You'll see a lot of everything, but almost everyone dresses to the nines.
Thanks, Donna for responding so fast. It sounds like I need to give my hubby a makeover again and air out my gown. I love dressing to the nines -- but it's not my hubby's choice, but he'll do it for me.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Admiral

i totally agree with Donna
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Familiar Face

my husband and I actually like getting dressed up for the formal nights. the informal nights are nice too. WE were on another cruise line the last two years and we missed the formal nights here on rccl. they had formal night but you couldn't find a tux anywhere. Suits were far and inbetween also. we are cruising in april on the mariner and can't wait. quincy
rccl explorer 2007
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Passenger

Our last cruise on RC, my Dh rented a tux/shoes on board. We always go all out on any cruise Some may not dress up, but you get that on any ship.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for everyone's input on formal nights on RC. We have decided to dress to the 'nines' again. Instead of my husband renting a tux on board we bought him an used tux and shoes from a formalware rental store this afternoon. The cost being just slightly over what it would have cost us to rent a tux on-board. As long as we like cruising, we thought it was a good investment. I bought a slightly used black pinstripe suit for my son on ebay and also bought him 'tux' shoes at the formalware store. So my guys are set now!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I think your original comment about RCL being not quite as 'dressy' as Princess is correct. Just from a guys perspective, I think a suit is fine on RCL. However if your thinking about formal pictures then a tux would be nice.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

IMO no need for formal attire on earthier line as long as you dress neatly. RCI waiters have been telling diners "no need to dress up for formal night" and princess states something like no shorts or short sleeve shirts on formal night. I have cruised quite a few times on both lines this year and the passinger mix has more to do with the dress then the line.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
First Mate

I thought people on Princess were dressed more formal than on RC. I think the age group - mostly 50+ may have had something to do with it. The younger crowd I saw on RC didn't dress up as much. But it sounds like you all looked great!!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old February 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

We enjoy dressing up! So if you enjoy it Do It! We did tux/gown on Serenade ourselves.

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006