Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Default Teenage boy dinner dress code

What do they need to wear at dinner? Am I fooling myself that I will even see him at dinner??
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Admiral

the dress code knows no age, its the same for everyone.
Casual nights - a nice pair of cargo or dockers type pants with a polo or jersey top
Smart Casual - same pants as casual nights just add a button-down shirt, sports jacket and tie aren't required, no sneakers
Formal - suit, or dress pants with a blazer, shirt/tie dress shoes.
As for eating together- we traveld in a group and we insisted that the kids eat with us, we had early dinner so that they could eat and then go do some of the scheduled kid/teen events for the evening.
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

My 13yrs old son wore a Tuxedo on the Formal nights.

Strange..... he kicked up a fuss about having to wear one but when he heard the ladies complimenting him, he couldn't wait for the second night!

Mark

Liberty of the Seas
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
First Mate

See the thread on the Teen board her titled "Guys, what do you rock each night?"

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Teenage boy dinner dress code

jad321,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What do they need to wear at dinner? Am I fooling myself that I will even see him at dinner??
Unless the cruise line specifies something different for certain age groups (and I'm not aware of any that do), children of all ages should follow the same dress code as adults.

Norm.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The Rev is correct, but that being said if your teen hates dressing up he can eat in the room or the buffet area on formal night.

Also - as long as he is in nice clothes he won't be ostracized. Just please don't let him wear jeans, sneakers or a t-shirt. I can personally live with clean slacks and a poloshirt, and if he has a jacket that is a real bonus.

Kids can get away with not wearing ties, but they look really good when they do wear them.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Mark,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My 13yrs old son wore a Tuxedo on the Formal nights.

Strange..... he kicked up a fuss about having to wear one but when he heard the ladies complimenting him, he couldn't wait for the second night!
And I hope that you tipped the ladies appropriately... ;-)

No, seriously, we should thank other adults who give teens reinforcement for doing the right thing, like wearing proper attire on the "formal" evenings. A couple Sundays ago, I commended a lady at my church on the job that she has done raising her adopted daughter, remarking how the daughter dresses and conducts herself as quite a young lady, while the daughter was standing there. She immediately turned to the daughter and said, "See, did you hear that?" as the daughter half grinned and half bent her head down in embarrassment at the attention. Nonetheless, teens really do respond positively to such obvious acceptance from strangers!

Norm.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/vie...ight=guys+rock

Somebody mentioned the teen thread "Guys, what do you rock each night?" so I had to look it up. The link is up above. It looks like suits definitely win with the laaaydieeeeesss.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM
First Mate

jad,

As a 17 year old senior in high school, I can relate directly to your situation. Our parents have two major rules when we cruise:

a) meet with the family to go to dinner
b) be in by their set curfew

On the cruise everybody in my family enjoys doing their own thing, and often times we end up participating in the same activities and seeing each other everywhere... but each night, dinner is a big deal. My parents expect my brother and I to be ready for dinner about 15 minutes before the doors open so we can mingle in the promenade and take pictures. On formal nights we get ready an hour early to mingle and to dance and enjoy meeting the captain. It is not unreasonable to ask your son(s) to join you at dinner because 95% of the teens go to dinner with their families so most of their newly acquainted friends and ladies 8) will be at their dinner, so no free time is lost! Dinner really is a special part of the cruise as it is really a bonding time and the food is absolutely scrumptious!

As far as our dress:

Casual Night - Khaki's with a tucked in collared shirt
Formal Night - Suit and tie
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Passenger

Its funny in that its all what you are accustomed to. As a woman, I would not want to wear a tie as it looks SO uncomfortable to me. However, my seven-year old has to wear a tie to school every day in the winter, and he really never gives it a second thought. I've seen him playing football and baseball after school with the tie still half on when he can't be bothered to change into play clothes. He goes thru a lot of ties! So, I'm figuring for formal nights can just bring along one or two of his school ties.