Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Passenger

Default small vs. large

I know many people have been on the smaller ships and have questioned whether or not they would enjoy the bigger ships. Mine is the opposite. I have been on the voyager twice and the mariner once. We thoroughly enjoyed these ships. The only thing is that I feel like the big ships offer the same itineraries and that the smaller ones have a little more variety. Do you think I would be disappointed on a smaller ship?
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
First Mate

For me, they can't make them too big. Won't go back to smaller.
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
First Mate

The only RCI ship we have sailed is the Rhapsody which is one of their smallest ships. We loved her and had a wonderful time. We also have sailed HAL whose ships are mostly smaller and really enjoyed it. I think it depends on what it takes to make you happy.

If there are amenities you must have that are only available on the larger ships, stick with that. We find that the smaller ships offer all we need and we prefer fewer people.
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Looks like you really enjoy the Voyager class ships. You did not mention which smaller ship you were considering. Hmmm...should you cruise with a larger ship (which you seem to like) or smaller ship with better ports? How important are the ports to you? Do you take advantage of all the extras on the mega ships? Ice skating, rock climbing, golf, promenade, ice show?

One Port I have not been to is Aruba I know the AOS goes there however AOS now is too small of a ship for me. I'll be cruising on the Liberty with not my favorite ports (other then Labadee) but the ship is great.
All the islands look the same to me at this point. I'm cruising for the ship.

Enjoy your cruise whichever you may decide to pick!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas x2
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:40 AM
Admiral

I thoroughly agree with CQ. It's the ship that is the destination for us, and we seldom leave the ship in any Caribbean port. We LOVE the smaller ships, and don't like the crowds aboard the large ones. Yep, the large ships are beautiful, and offer a lot of stuff, ie: ice rink, flow rider, etc, but that's all stuff that we never use. Give me the smaller ships any day.

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:32 PM
Passenger

Well, since my favorite days on the cruise are the days at sea, I think I should stick with the larger ships. I just wish there was a little more variety in the ports for the big ships.
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Passenger

I noticed none of the responders mentioned the "RADIANCE CLASS" ships. I think these are the PERFECT size/passenger ratio for cruising.

We really LOVE the Radiance ships. I wish RCI had more of them.

When we were on the Mariner after being on 5 cruises on Radiance, Jewel, and the Serenade, we thought the extra 1000 people on board was waaaaaay too many. Even though we liked the Mariner and had a great cruise, the Windjammer and the Dining Room seemed overcrowded compared to the Radiance Class.

I would Highly recommend trying one of these smaller ships.

Hope This Helps.