Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default OK... so are passports enough ID?

After reading Hipshot's post about being denied boarding because he didn't have the right ID, I"m now wondering if having our passports is enough. I'm taking my 2 nieces (18 & 14) . I have their notarized signed letters from their parents (my sister) and their passports. Maybe I should bring their BC's too? (with the raised seal )

I think I'll send this question to Royal Caribbean too... Just to be safe!

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:28 AM
First Mate

Default Re: OK... so are passports enough ID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveVegas
After reading Hipshot's post about being denied boarding because he didn't have the right ID, I"m now wondering if having our passports is enough. I'm taking my 2 nieces (18 & 14) . I have their notarized signed letters from their parents (my sister) and their passports. Maybe I should bring their BC's too? (with the raised seal )

I think I'll send this question to Royal Caribbean too... Just to be safe!
Passports is the preferred ID method and the only one you need. No need for a BC (remember your BC was verified through the initial passport application).
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM
First Mate

Do you still need a notarized letter if the person is 18 and not your child? I thought it was only for someone under 18?
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

I asked that question to Royal Caribbean and the answer was NO. An 18 year old does not need a notarized letter... But I had already gotten one since it took a while for them to respond. So I'll just carry it with me anyhow...

True... you needed the BC to get the passports, so I guess you don't need to bring those also.

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:29 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal
Do you still need a notarized letter if the person is 18 and not your child? I thought it was only for someone under 18?
No. We took friends of my son who were 18 and older (under 21) and no letters were required.
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: OK... so are passports enough ID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveVegas
Maybe I should bring their BC's too? (with the raised seal )
A raised seal on a BC is not necessary. I thought that we put this urban myth to bed a year ago.

Passport is all that one needs. It is a universal ID accepted by any airline, cruise line, Government Agency, and any foreign country.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

If it was me traveling I would carry my passport and driver liscense. I travel weekly and most places require two forms of gov't id's. As for minors, can get them a passport and it will be good for ten years. If they are under 18 they should have a drivers liscense. If they don't drive you can go to your local dmv and get them a gov't id.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerwin
If it was me traveling I would carry my passport and driver liscense. I travel weekly and most places require two forms of gov't id's. As for minors, can get them a passport and it will be good for ten years. If they are under 18 they should have a drivers liscense. If they don't drive you can go to your local dmv and get them a gov't id.
DL is OK, but just a Passport is all that you need for air and cruise.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everyone.

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you need to fly back into the country for any reason while your on a cruise, you will need a passport. BC won't do.
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Admiral

FYI:
A Minor's passport is valid for 5 years and must be renewed with the parent or applicant appearing in person. An Adult's passport (issued from age 16 and older) is valid for 10 years and may be renewed by mail.

http://www.passportinfo.com/childpp.htm

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Admiral

A friend of ours is taking our son with them on a cruise. Their son and ours are good friends and both are 15. I read that you need a notarized letter to accompany his passport. Is this letter just an ordinary typed letter signed by both my wife and I or some sort of official letter then notarized. Thanks in advance.
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Take a look here at Ferns post ....

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595795

Old June 4th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Admiral

rescuedad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
A friend of ours is taking our son with them on a cruise. Their son and ours are good friends and both are 15. I read that you need a notarized letter to accompany his passport. Is this letter just an ordinary typed letter signed by both my wife and I or some sort of official letter then notarized. Thanks in advance.
I believe it's just a simple letter granting you permission to take the children on the trip in question, to authorize any medical care that they might need, and to act as their legal representative during the trip. To be safe, ask the cruise line for a sample letter that you can copy.

I recommend bringing a few photocopies with the original so you can give a photocopy to the ship's staff, to the airline's check-in clerk, and to anybody else who might need one.

Norm.
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Admiral

That letter is great. Thanks for finding it.
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM
First Mate

But, if you take a NON FAMILY member along with you....who is 18 at time of cruise do you still need that notarized letter? Also, if you book the non family member when they are still 17 but will be 18 at time of cruise...Do you still need the notarized letter?
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Passenger

Default Passport are great, alway carry a copy too

Passports are great, but before you go, bring a copy with you. Just a photo copy is fine. This is sometimes used a picture ID for reboarding so that you don't have to bring the passport with you into each port and worry about loosing it.

And for bringing our passports along with you , when you get into the car to leave for the airport put all the passports in a passport carrier that goes under your clothes. This way you keep it on your person until you arrive and it cannot be easily lifted by a pickpocket. If for so reason to loose it, then you can utilize the information in your photo copy to obtain a new one. It may not be in timer to board your cruise, but if you are stuck somewhere it will get you home sooner.
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Royal - that is a really good question, i would err on the side of caution and have the notarized letter just in case
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

This is what Royal Caribbean responded to me in their e-mail about the notarized letter...

Dear Ms. XXXX:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

A notarized letter of consent is not required for guests age 18 or older traveling with you.

Ms. XXXX, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Regards,

Ana Customer Service Representative

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
But, if you take a NON FAMILY member along with you....who is 18 at time of cruise do you still need that notarized letter? Also, if you book the non family member when they are still 17 but will be 18 at time of cruise...Do you still need the notarized letter?
18 and over? No letter required. You just have to be the responsible adult for their reservation. You'd do that with the SetSail Pass.
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Admiral

rescuedad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
That letter is great. Thanks for finding it.
Argh! That letter has serious deficiencies, discussed in my reply in the other thread. In particular, it does not allow for deviations due to broken airline connections or other problems that may arise.

Norm.
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Beginner

If they are under 16, a passport is only good for 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Captain

I would bring a drivers license also for the adults. some ports
require your cruise passcard and another form of photo ID. We
leave our passports in our safe and take the drivers license with
us in ports.
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Quote:
18 and older are considered adults by Royal. family or nonfamily. when i took my sister and her best friend to Europe on Brilliance it wasn't an issue, and they are both 18.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05