Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What ID to take when stopping at Ports

Our first cruise is coming up in August and my brain is beginning to go in overdrive. This is where I start thinking of all the little things.

First little thing....what ID should my family and I take with us as we visit each port? Do we need to bring our passports, or drivers licenses or only ship ID? I'm always afraid what if something got lost. We have a dolphin swim scheduled in Cozumel for which I understand there are lockers but are these lockers safe enough to leave our ID and other valuables?

Thanks so much for you help with this!
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Admiral

I take our ship's passes, my drivers license and some credit cards.

Do NOT take your passport.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You can buy a little plastic waterproof safe, that hangs around your neck. You can put all your cards in there, and know its safe. Most importantly your sail and sign card.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

I take my ship card and leave the passport on the ship. (I usually have a copy of my passport in the bag I carry off the ship though). I also take my DL and a credit card with me off the ship too. I leave one credit card with my passport. I never keep all my credit cards together.

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
First Mate

When we were docked to get off on the islands, they had speaker saying to take your passports with you. They said you would need them when getting back on the ship. I didn't like the fact that I had to always open the safe and carry passports with me while going to the island. I think I remember having to show the passport when getting back on the ship along with your sea pass. I must say this was a real pain...I would think that the sea pass would have been enough. Who wants to carry the passport along with them while on the beach...
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have never had to use a passport to get on, or off a ship, in all my cruises...that's very surprising to hear...what ship?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Admiral

On every cruise I take my Sign and Sail card, my DL, a photo copy of my passport and one credit card. Never ever had any problems on land or getting back on the ship.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal
When we were docked to get off on the islands, they had speaker saying to take your passports with you. They said you would need them when getting back on the ship.
- What "Islands"?

- What if I don't have a Passport?

- If a Passport is required for any portion of your trip, the ship holds your Passport at check-in. You get it back on the last (or the night before) night of the cruise.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal
When we were docked to get off on the islands, they had speaker saying to take your passports with you. They said you would need them when getting back on the ship.
- What "Islands"?

- What if I don't have a Passport?

- If a Passport is required for any portion of your trip, the ship holds your Passport at check-in. You get it back on the last (or the night before) night of the cruise.
Irish Shark,

In Europe we never needed our passports (we are UK citizens). The RCCL cards were adequate for getting on and off ship.
Are you saying that we need to handover our passports when we get on board for a Caribbean cruise?

Any advice welcome

Liberty of the Seas
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Since we are US Citizens, on our two European cruises and one South American cruise, yes, our Passports were taken at check-in.

If your Caribbean cruise requires you (as a UK citizen) to have a Passport for your cruise, I would say that (IMO) there is a good chance that they will be taken at check-in.

If a port (country) required us to have a Passport while on-shore, the ship gave us a card that essentially said that the ship has our Passport and this card is valid in lieu of a Passport.

Also, check to see if any VISAs are required. The cruise ship will not allow you to board the ship if you do not have all the required documentation. Even if you do not plan to disembark at a foreign port, you will need a VISA (if the country requires it) for each country where the ship docks.

Old June 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What ID to take when stopping at Ports

luv2vacation63,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Our first cruise is coming up in August and my brain is beginning to go in overdrive. This is where I start thinking of all the little things.

First little thing....what ID should my family and I take with us as we visit each port? Do we need to bring our passports, or drivers licenses or only ship ID? I'm always afraid what if something got lost. We have a dolphin swim scheduled in Cozumel for which I understand there are lockers but are these lockers safe enough to leave our ID and other valuables?

Thanks so much for you help with this!
You now need (1) your cruise card, (2) a photo identification issued by a governement authority, such as a driver's license, a voter registration card, or a military ID card, AND, if the name on your photo identification does not match the name on your cruise booking, (3) official documentation of the change of name (marriage or divorce certificate, court order, etc.) when going ashore in most ports of call. The ship usually requires only the cruise card for returning passengers since the A-Pass system has a photo of each passenger (taken on first boarding at embarkation), but many countries now restrict access to their cruise terminals due to the threat of terrorism. Where the government restricts access to the cruise terminal, the sentries at the entrance to the cruise terminals don't have access to the photos in the ship's A-Pass system and thus normally require all of the above documentation. I'm sure that they have some procedure in place to deal with missing documentation, but it's a lot easier to have the right documentation in hand.

On several of my European cruises, the ship collected our passports at embarkation so we did not have to appear in person when immigration authorities cleared the ship in each European country. On my last cruise, the ship returned our passports to us before our arrival in Yalta with instructions to bring them when going ashore in both Yalta and Odessa. Ukranian officials inspected and stamped our passports when we went ashore in both of these ports. IIRC, the ship collected our passports again when we left Odessa.

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As I recall, St Thomas is strict about requiring you to have identification (drivers license at least) to gat back into the dock area.

The dolphin swim in Cozumel - if it is at Chakanaab then yes, the lockers are very safe for you to put your valuables in.

Most of time in the Caribbean I just carry my Drivers license and a credit card on shore. And some cash. I leave my passport onboard.

There are few islands that do require a passport to enter. Aruba is one of them.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

As I recall, St Thomas is strict about requiring you to have identification (drivers license at least) to gat back into the dock area.

The dolphin swim in Cozumel - if it is at Chakanaab then yes, the lockers are very safe for you to put your valuables in.

Most of time in the Caribbean I just carry my Drivers license and a credit card on shore. And some cash. I leave my passport onboard.

There are few islands that do require a passport to enter. Aruba is one of them.
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral