Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Beginner

Default Help First Transatlantic

I have just booked our first Transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona. April 16th. on Navigator of the Seas. Can anyone help me with the type of daytime clothing we will need as I am not quite sure what type of weather to expect & we won't have much of a weight allowance flying back. Do we need more shorts for daytime or pants? Any information would be greatly appreciated in regards to weather, clothing or the ship itself. We have never travelled RCCL before. Have been on Princess & Carnival. Have a great day.
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Admiral

highfield,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have just booked our first Transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona. April 16th. on Navigator of the Seas. Can anyone help me with the type of daytime clothing we will need as I am not quite sure what type of weather to expect & we won't have much of a weight allowance flying back. Do we need more shorts for daytime or pants? Any information would be greatly appreciated in regards to weather, clothing or the ship itself. We have never travelled RCCL before. Have been on Princess & Carnival. Have a great day.
Transatlantic cruises are wonderful, primarily because they give you a lot of time in the best destination of all -- "At Sea!"

I don't know your specific itinerary, but daytime dress aboard ship is generally casual.

>> Shorts and summer tops (ladies) or polo shirts (gents) and swimsuits for the three or four days in any case. If the ship takes a southerly route (indicated by ports of call in Funchal, on the island of Mediera, or in the Canary Islands), you probably will want shorts for most of the transit segment. If the ship crosses further northward (indicated by ports of call in Bermuda or at Ponta del Gada in the Azores), you might prefer something warmer, such as skirts or slacks and a sweater or a sweatshirt or a windbreaker, when you go out on deck.

>> Be sure to bring slacks or skirts that extend below the knee and, for ladies, tops that completely cover the shoulders and that have a fairly high neckline and sufficient length to tuck into the skirt or shorts for wear in your European ports of call. Many of the shore excursions there will visit houses of worship that have very strict dress codes which basically require clothing to cover the shoulders, the knees, and everything between.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I was in Barcelona in June and it was a tidge cold. Have no idea what the weather is doing there now but here is a website I found tremendously helpful http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...sic-facts.html

Have a great time!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Hi Highfield what are you ports? We did a TA this year April 26-May 10 14 days, 5 days at sea to cross the ocean. It was wonderful. The weather was in the 70s most of the time. We had one port before the crossing, St. Marteen that was much hotter in the 90s. Great beaches. 8) Our ports were St. Marteen, Funchal Madeira Island, Malaga Spain, Livirno Italy, and ending in Rome. Oh wait a second your cruise on Navigator of the Seas here are your ports:

Departs From Ft. Lauderdale, Florida visiting Santa Cruz De La Palma, Canary Islands; Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands; Lisbon, Portugal; Cadiz (Seville), Spain; Malaga, Spain; Barcelona, Spain.
I have put in bold the cities I have been to. Lisbon has a lot of hills, bring very good walking shoes. Malaga Spain is very flat, easier to walk it the birth place of Picasso and there is a museum with Picasso's orignal work on display. It's an easy walk to get there. www.museopicassomalaga.org Since you don't have a Carribean Island on your list of Ports I would dress for weather in the 70s and remember that church dress code: knees and shoulders should be covered. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Passenger

The night air on the open Atlantic is colder than you think. Be prepared for high wind and a variety of temps.

Since you will be far from land for days, take every imaginable medication with you...don't count on infirmary for overpriced care.

Also, the Atlantic can be VIOLENTLY ROUGH...not necessarily, but happened to me, and for THREE DAYS, INCESSANTLY! Even if you have never been seasick before, be prepared.

You will have a wonderful time, and it will be something you will remember forever... Have fun!
Transatlantic / Pacific Princess Final Voyage, Oct. '01
Caribbean / RCL Adventure of the Seas, July '03
Caribbean / NCL Sky, June '04
Caribbean / Celebrity Horizon, Dec. '04
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruccio
The night air on the open Atlantic is colder than you think. Be prepared for high wind and a variety of temps.

Since you will be far from land for days, take every imaginable medication with you...don't count on infirmary for overpriced care.

Also, the Atlantic can be VIOLENTLY ROUGH...not necessarily, but happened to me, and for THREE DAYS, INCESSANTLY! Even if you have never been seasick before, be prepared.

You will have a wonderful time, and it will be something you will remember forever... Have fun!
What time of year did you go? I have only been on a TA once. This year at the end of April the ocean was very smooth. I may have gotten lucky. I found my cruise to Alaska to have rougher waters.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did a transatlantic in 2005 and they did the southern route. It was calm seas and warm weather until we left Maderia and then it was cooler but still nice weather. We are going again this April (our third transatlantic)and hope it's the same. Have a great cruise !!!
Bob
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Passenger

I agree with the route situation; my trip was admittedly in October, however, I can't imagine that it wouldn't be cool in April. (I'm talking NIGHT air here).

Sure, route makes a difference, too. I still say that "be prepared" is a great motto for cruising, since, unlike a land vacation, you can't just buy whatever you need.
Transatlantic / Pacific Princess Final Voyage, Oct. '01
Caribbean / RCL Adventure of the Seas, July '03
Caribbean / NCL Sky, June '04
Caribbean / Celebrity Horizon, Dec. '04