CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Any reviews of the Independence? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/357329-any-reviews-independence.html)

paul1815 October 14th, 2008 11:48 PM

Any reviews of the Independence?

I am considering booking cabins on the Independence for their 8 day cruise! However, I don't see any reviews or comments about this ship. Does anyone have any news...good or bad? I kind of like the itinerary and certainly love the Freedom class ship. We were on the Liberty last year and loved it.

thecruisequeen October 15th, 2008 06:47 AM

Paul I have heard good things about Indy!! There was a review on CM a while back and it was good news! :D

I too like the 8 day itinerary on Indy.

If you love Liberty you can't go wrong with Indy. :D :D

ragtiki2005 October 15th, 2008 06:56 PM

CQ, where does the ship stop at? What islands? How are the prices right now? Bob

thecruisequeen October 16th, 2008 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
CQ, where does the ship stop at? What islands? How are the prices right now? Bob

Bob here is the itinerary The rates are very high! :x $1,219. 1st and 2nd plus taxes.
A cabin for two total price is $2,786. :evil:

However many cabins available so this rate should drop if bookings don't pick up. :D :D :-P

Saturday, April 4, 2009 Fort Lauderdale Florida -- 05:00 PM
Sunday, April 5, 2009 Cruising -- --
Monday, April 6, 2009 San Juan Puerto Rico 02:30 PM 10:00 PM
Tuesday, April 7, 2009 Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas 08:00 AM 06:00 PM Wednesday, April 8, 2009 Philipsburg St. Maarten 07:00 AM 06:00 PM Thursday, April 9, 2009 Cruising -- --
Friday, April 10, 2009 Labadee Haiti 08:00 AM 05:00 PM
Saturday, April 11, 2009 Cruising -- --
Sunday, April 12, 2009 Fort Lauderdale Florida 06:30 AM --

dlm2005 October 16th, 2008 09:09 AM

It’s the return of Paul the poet! Welcome back wordsmith.

We are booked for that itinerary on Independence leaving March 21st 2009. We have had a balcony cabin booked for over a year and can’t wait. The big difference with Independence is that they have in room tea pots (being based in Great Brittan) and freshwater pools.

paul1815 October 16th, 2008 10:00 AM

Me....a poet??

I just don't know
But if you say so
My words can glow
But I'm no Poe

We want to sail
On sea and rail
My face turns pale
The price they hail!

Yet it is fun
The beach and sun
On deck we run
And laugh a ton

So...will we buy
this cruise so high?
'probably wills
to heck with bills!

LOL LOL ..... :o

Robbie H October 16th, 2008 11:51 AM

Am booked on the 8 day starting 12-13-08 and rates are down for that sailing. We actually get to "fly free" ($10 p.p. tax) from LAX using air miles so feeling very fortunate ;>)

paul1815 October 16th, 2008 11:57 AM

GRRRRRRrrrr

RCL is being a total tard!!!

Our agent had held a couple of cabins yesterday, but now they won't honor the "sales" price that is on today. I even asked if we could drop the held cabins and take our luck with what is then open...and NOPE, they will NOT give us the sale price for today!

Screw them....! : :x :x :x

Robbie H October 16th, 2008 02:34 PM

Hate to bad rap people in the industry BUT we were told the sale would not be honored for cabins held prior. We were also told the client could not cancel and rebook their cruise. Sorry this happened to you but the anger is misdirected IMHO, Robbie

paul1815 October 16th, 2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie H
Hate to bad rap people in the industry BUT we were told the sale would not be honored for cabins held prior. We were also told the client could not cancel and rebook their cruise. Sorry this happened to you but the anger is misdirected IMHO, Robbie

I utterly understand not honoring my pre-booking with sales that started today. However, we wanted to cancel the reservation completely and then start from scratch and get the best cabin available...just like anyone else trying to book today...and we were told they would not give me the sale price on ANY cabin on that cruise because I had pre-booked! That is the part that seems unreasonable to me. :-?

Robbie H October 16th, 2008 03:09 PM

I understand Paul but the T/A really should have explained the ramifications. We have known about the sale for quite awhile and your agent should NOT have let you hold an option on any cabin. I will admit that another line did give one of our customers the sale price afterwards but it wasn't an pre-announced sale such as the huge one going on with "RCI/Celebrity" right now.

paul1815 October 16th, 2008 03:14 PM

Really?

So are you suggesting it is reasonable for RCL to block me from the sale today, even if I "get in line" again with everyone else? If that is the case, I'd rather not do business with RCL in the future. It seems pretty harsh policy considering they will likely face some tough economic times. :x

I wonder what hotels look like down at Disney in March.... LOL

Robbie H October 16th, 2008 03:28 PM

Any existing booking that is cancelled between October 3 - October 17, 2008 and is rebooked for the same sailing on
October 16 or 17, 2008 will not be eligible to receive the Offer.

I just copied that right off the current sale info so are you still blaming "RCI" when your T/A ignored the admonition?

paul1815 October 16th, 2008 03:52 PM

Sigh...

....I am blaming RCI because they are the ones that set this policy and are interpretting "booking" to mean ANY attempt at getting a cabin on the ship...even if it is a totally new booking, or for that matter an entirley new cabin! And yeah, I certainly blame the TA...never going to do busines with them.

Merg55 October 17th, 2008 07:07 AM

Don't know who your TA is but a few weeks ago when the prices dropped my TA got me a refund of about $300 that was credited back to my master card. I used it to upgrade. I'm sailing on IOS on Dec. 13th.

Merg55 October 17th, 2008 07:08 AM

Don't know who your TA is but a few weeks ago when the prices dropped my TA got me a refund of about $300 that was credited back to my master card. I used it to upgrade. I'm sailing on IOS on Dec. 13th.

Merg55 October 17th, 2008 07:08 AM

honeywell November 3rd, 2008 09:52 AM

[color=#444444]I am booked for the 8 night sailing on 4/4/09 and the price has gone UP since I booked. No specials for seniors or resident rates yet. Ahh...the fun of cruising at Spring Break! I would also like to see any reviews of Independence - I've found them elsewhere but there isn't even a CM review listed among the RCL ships.

paul1815 December 5th, 2008 12:15 PM

Well...i might take the plunge on this cruise

We've put a hold on two rooms and have until tonight to purchase them. The price HAS gone down since we originally looked several weeks ago...so that is good.

I am still looking for more detailed review of the ship, but if it is comparable to the Liberty...it is going to be just FINE!

:wink:

Merg55 December 5th, 2008 10:44 PM

We leave in just a few days for Indy. Reviews have been good. Several posts on another cruise board (CC) they say it's really just like the others Freedom ships but longer and the pool is heated. They also said that they had changed the menu some for the cruise sailing from the states. The really only negative I've read about it concerning the desbarkation process. I guess that the Fort Lauderdale port has more than it can handle and the Indy was the last to port and therefore the last to be cleared by customs. That really moved back the time passagers could leave the ship. Plus one of the gangways is extremely steep and they were have to help people down it and the crew had to take the luggage down for folks.