Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Passenger

Default Lots of questions about 1st Cruise

Our oldest daughter is 17 and for her Senior Trip/Spring Break Trip we are leaning towards a cruise on RCI. Our other daughter is 11.
We have so many questions and I've done some research but my brain is spinning with all the info out there.
We live in Colorado so obviously we want to go someplace warm and were thinking about the Caribbean or Bahamas, hopefully a 7 day cruise maybe more.
I do know we want to pet the dolphins and go horseback riding(we are not experienced however)but those experiences are ones that are really important to the girls.
Would you please help?
Edited to add: our travel will take place in March 2009.
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Lots of questions about 1st Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedOkies
Our oldest daughter is 17 and for her Senior Trip we are leaning towards a cruise on RCI. Our other daughter is 11.
We have so many questions and I've done some research but my brain is spinning with all the info out there.
We live in Colorado so obviously we want to go someplace warm and were thinking about the Caribbean or Bahamas, hopefully a 7 day cruise maybe more.
I do know we want to pet the dolphins and go horseback riding(we are not experienced however)but those experiences are ones that are really important to the girls.
Would you please help?
You might consider the Mexican Riviera for a cruise. The Mariner of the Seas is moving out to the west coast in January, she is a Voyager class ship with lots of great activities and a big ship. She sails out of LA, which would be closer for you and thus less travel. Not only would this be a great ship for you, but the 2 shore excursions you mentioned can be found in Cabo! The Mariner to the Mexican Riviera might be the perfect cruise for your senior class trip. Give it a look.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Passenger

I did take a look at the Mexican Riviera cruise. Sounds like one we will definitely consider.
Another question: Are the 2 excursions I mentioned worth the price?
Old November 9th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I did take a look at the Mexican Riviera cruise. Sounds like one we will definitely consider.
Another question: Are the 2 excursions I mentioned worth the price?
Also how much time do they have off. If you cruise out of LA then they wouldn't have to miss as much school.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Passenger

Officially they have one week off for spring break. We had been planning a family trip to Florida for 2 weeks-that trip is being replaced by the cruise due to unforseen drama and I won't go into details, thus it will be a two week vacation. The girls will either miss the week before spring break or the week after.
Another question I have. Due to the economic downturn we have to wait to get our income tax return before we can book the cruise. Will this really hurt us or will it work to our benefit since we will be booking last minute?
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Admiral

There are a lot of "ifs" to determine when to book a cruise. The general rule is that the more popular the cruise, the earlier it should be booked as there will be less likelihood of last minute deals. The less popular the cruise, the more likelihood of better deals as the sail date gets closer. The cruiseline will adjust prices to maximize revenue. If a cruise isn't selling well, prices go down, if the cruise is popular and is selling well, prices will go up. That is good old "supply and demand".

Cruises during spring break are always very popular, but the cruises the weeks before and right after spring break are less popular and will have lower prices. Ofcourse with the current economy, that adds a whole new bunch of "ifs" into the equation.

As for the shore excursions, I did the swim with the dolphins in Cabo and it was well worth the money! I haven't done any horse back riding on any shore excursions.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Passenger

I forgot my manners. How rude of me not to introduce myself.
I'm Tracie, mom of 2 girls, married 19 years and counting. Uprooted from Oklahoma City, OK five years ago to Northern Colorado because of DH's job.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Has anyone ever used cruiserewards.com?
If so were you satisfied if not why?
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

There are a few different dolphin adventures. One is where you just go in and basically pet the dolphins, the other is where you actually ger to swim with the dolphins and a third is where you spend all day with a trainer and do everything.

All of these can be done also at Sea World in San diego or Sea World in Florida.

As far as horse back riding, if you are in L.A., they have a horse back riding adventure in Griffith park and then at the end of the ride, they have a dinner. It's pretty fun.

The girls would probably like jet skiing or parasailing.

For the 11 year old, enroll her in the kids program and your teenager would probably hang in the teen club.

Royal Caribbean is nice but I would also recommend Carnival since they are very kid friendly also. In addition, I would recommend two cabins, 4 in a room especially with 3 women sharing one bathroom is pretty rough!

Don't get "adjoinming" rooms but get rooms next to each other. If you get adjoining rooms, usually instead of a couch, all you get is a chair or love seat since they need to make room for the door to open inside.
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Officially they have one week off for spring break. We had been planning a family trip to Florida for 2 weeks-that trip is being replaced by the cruise due to unforseen drama and I won't go into details, thus it will be a two week vacation. The girls will either miss the week before spring break or the week after.
Another question I have. Due to the economic downturn we have to wait to get our income tax return before we can book the cruise. Will this really hurt us or will it work to our benefit since we will be booking last minute?
It really doesn't matter becuase once you book your cruise you pay a deposit, then you must pay in full within 3-4 months of your cruise. If the price goes down before you have made your final payment the price of you cruise will go down. But after you make your final payment if the price goes down you will get on board credit. At least thats what Carnival does. But I have heard some things that Royal is getting rid of OBC. So it might work to your advantage.

Past Cruises:
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Like someone else said I would look at Carnival becuase they have 7 day cruises out of LA and 8 day Cruises out of San Diego. Carnival has some really nice ships and they have a new and big ship going to LA in Mar so that might work out for you. I love cruising Carnival so I would recommend that to you.

Past Cruises:
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Mariner would be an excellent choice for your girls ages. They will enjoy the ship very much.

Once you book and the rate goes down even after final payment Royal does credit your credit card. Carnival I believe gives you the onboard credit. I prefer to have it on my credit card not an onboard credit.

Let us know what you book.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Admiral

CQ, how was your cruise? Any pics to share? Boy, that was a quick week. Bob
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
CQ, how was your cruise? Any pics to share? Boy, that was a quick week. Bob
Bob cruise starts on Saturday I leave on Friday. Will have pics to share upon my return. it's only a 5niter

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Okay I'm throwing in my 2 cents. You have secure the cruise with a deposit and pay off the rest after you get the refund;. Just be certain to know the date you need to pay off by. I think if you change your mind you can get your deposit back.

I would recommend the Mexican Riveria Cruise. The Mariner of the Seas is a big ship, it has the royal promande (sp?), the ice rink, and the wall climbing wall.

You can swim with the Dolphins in Puerto Vallata. You can book that trip directly or through the cruise line. http://www.swimwithdolphinsvallarta.com/default.asp

You can do the horseback ride on the beach in Cabo San Lucas. RCCL has a horseback riding excursion. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreE...tivityTypeId=2 I hope this helps you.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Admiral

If you have cruising out of LA, please understand that San Diego is about 2 hours away. So it may not be worth it to go to sea world. However, you have Disneyland and Unversial Stuidos. If you want to see a real movie studio (no rides) take the Warner Brothers VIP tour http://www2.warnerbros.com/vipstudiotour/or the Paramount Studio tour http://www.paramountstudios.com/. Also, you may be able to see a free taping of a TV show, if it's a show like 2 1/2 men get there a least an hour before the time the tickets tell you. The tickets are free and they don't guarntee entry. I'm not sure if they are filming in March, but here is the site to order tickets. http://www.audiencesunlimited.com/

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Admiral

CQ, I thought you had left because your cruise clock says 11/8. Have a great time and take lots of speedo pics! Bob