Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Linda A
Default Why Cruise??

I am planning a family cruise. We are the only ones who have been on cruises. When I was quoted the prices from my travel agent and put it on paper it just seems like a great deal of money. So, I was wondering if you all could help me explain why it is worth it to cruise. The only thing I can come up with is WE JUST LOVE IT!!

Thank you in advance!!

Linda
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think cruising is a great value for your vacation money...Try comparing a cruise to something else. In most cases, you'll be adding on meals and that can add up quickly...Plus, look at all the places you go.. It just makes a lot of sense and we grow to love it..

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Passenger

I cruise because my husband loves it. Don't get me wrong, I love it too, but the cruise we're going on this summer was his idea. We're celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and had a trip to Vegas planned for the celebration. We got married in Vegas (I was living there at the time.), so we figured to celebrate where it all began. Then after a couple of months of planning, he decided he would rather go on a cruise. So, now we have the Enchantment booked for June.

I probably don't get my money's worth on a cruise because I'm not into going to the shows or gambling. ( ...that sounds like Vegas, so I wonder why I wanted to go there.)

I do like the fact that I do not have to do anything except exactly what i want to do: sit on a lounge chair, reading a book. It seems like my every whim is taken care of on a cruise ship.

I think if you look at the cost per day, it doesn't seem like *that much money.
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Why Cruise??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda A
I am planning a family cruise. We are the only ones who have been on cruises. When I was quoted the prices from my travel agent and put it on paper it just seems like a great deal of money. So, I was wondering if you all could help me explain why it is worth it to cruise. The only thing I can come up with is WE JUST LOVE IT!!

Thank you in advance!!

Linda
It is a fantastic value. For the base price you get a room, breakfast, lunch and dinner and more snacks in between and after. Basically you can eat for most of the day and night.

You have a 'free' entertainment program with activities throughout the day and shows (comedy, production etc) at night. You can do it all or nothing at all - for the base price.

To top it of: you see different ports. You don't have to pack, unpack and repack. You don't need a rental car or flights. The ship drops drops you off - right there at different ports with many different sights.

What cruise are you going on?
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Captain

If you were to do the same itinerary on your own, it would cost much much more.

I love waking up and being at my next destination. Truly stress free traveling!

If the costs have got you doubting, maybe there are some ways to lower those costs. There are some great cruise deals out there right now! See what other cruise lines have to offer, maybe book a lower category cabin, can you travel off peak?

And don't forget price drops. I could barely afford my upcoming cruise when I booked in in August but prices have really come wayyyy down.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRover
If you were to do the same itinerary on your own, it would cost much much more.

I love waking up and being at my next destination. Truly stress free traveling!

If the costs have got you doubting, maybe there are some ways to lower those costs. There are some great cruise deals out there right now! See what other cruise lines have to offer, maybe book a lower category cabin, can you travel off peak?

And don't forget price drops. I could barely afford my upcoming cruise when I booked in in August but prices have really come wayyyy down.
The only move I've seen on my cruise is up and than back down to what it was when I booked it.
Oh well, I was willing to pay the price I got, so I cannot be upset with it, but I wonder why some people get price drops and others don't.
We're going June 13....think that has something to do with the fact that there hasn't been a true price drop?
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Why Cruise? The question is why not!!!!

These huge ships are engineering marvels. Anyone who boards these ships for the first time,you will be in awe! You will be served breakfast, lunch and diner as well as room service every day all included in the price(now a nominal charge for late night room service on RCI). These ships are so amazing you will lose sight that they are transportation, they are in fact a destination!

After being awe inspired by the ship itself, you will now visit several awe inspiring tropical islands where you will take part in a variety of amazing experiences. Afterwards you return to your amazing ship where there is so much to do and see. unless you get sea sick easily (like my dad who can not cruise...too bad). I just can not imagine how you will have less then an amazing time!!!!!!!!

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas April, 2009
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't be inclined to go by the amount of money but more about what you get for your money.

I'm one who believes that cruising is more pricey that an AI but I'm also talking from a different place. It appears that from Canada we can get more AI's than from the states. When you put the cost of the cruise, flying, drinks etc together AI's are cheaper. So, to combat that one has to think about what you get with a cruise.

Both give 3 squares however the cruise usual has food available for many more hours in a day. Entertainment on a ship is more plentiful and usually much better. You can do many different things or nothing at all. But the biggest one for me, when you are on a cruise, if you don't like where you are today don't worry about it - tomorrow you'll be someplace else.
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

For me the best justification is that you get so much more for your money than you expect to (if you have never cruises), you don't just get meals included, you get really good food, you don't just get maid service - you get a room steward and free room service. You get free entertainment and passge to exotic destinations.

Cruising is different things to different people - but almost everyone finds something to like about it.
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
For me the best justification is that you get so much more for your money than you expect to (if you have never cruises), you don't just get meals included, you get really good food, you don't just get maid service - you get a room steward and free room service. You get free entertainment and passge to exotic destinations.

Cruising is different things to different people - but almost everyone finds something to like about it.
Paul, offtopic:

I see you were on Ruby. I am broadening my horizon as you can see in my signature and to test the Princess product I booked a 3-Night Ruby cruise. How did you like the Ruby?
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:48 PM
First Mate

Well I could go on all day about cruising... but you mentioned the cost as being very important.
What strikes me when I take a 4 or 5 day cruise is-
Each cruise line I look at can take me down to the Caribbean (for example) cruise safely around the islands for a few days, feed me numerous times a day with delicious food, entertain me, cater to my every need - for what it costs me to fly round trip to the port.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I like the idea of wandering from port to port, and the luxury of not packing and unpacking as if I was doing several ports by car or by air..

The ability do do nothing, or everything. To eat what I want when I want.

In short..the best bang for your buck, especially in this economy.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Admiral

I also love the fact that you can be as busy as you want or lay around and do nothing all day.

Right now cruising is the best value.

Enjoy your cruise!!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default thanks

Thanks to all that helped me. It looks like we will be putting our deposits on Freedom of the Seas For Jan 2010!! This will be an Eastern cruise. Can't wait!

Thanks Tons,

Linda A.
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh Linda,
You are going to absolutely love that cruise, and a great itinary too!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I had a corner aft cabin on the Freedom, and, it was wonderful, as was the ship..enjoy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
First Mate

Oh... Freedom Of The Seas... you are going to have the time of your life.
We were on that ship in November and it was easily the best vacation we ever had.

But getting back to your question, concerning cost.
We did some calculating. we live outside of Tampa Florida...
so I calculated how much it would cost for airfare only, to the
places a typical eastern Caribbean itinerary would sail to.
Tampa - St Marteen
St Marteen - St Thomas
St Thomas - Nassau Bahamas
Nassau Bahamas - Tampa

result total is $912 JUST FOR AIRFARE.
multiplied by 2 travelers is $1824 in airfare.
Lets add 7 nights of hotel rooms at a very frugal $75 a night $525
now we're at $2349 and we haven't gotten to food yet.
Add in food @ $60 per day per person ($840) totals $3189

Our cruise on FOS in November cost us nearly half that amount.

For WAY WAY WAY less than $3189 we can sail on the Freedom Of The Seas, visit all the same ports, get all our meals and snacks included, have all sorts of great entertainment meet lovely people on board (as opposed to being crushed between people who probably didn't shower before boarding the plane).... to us it's a no brainer!

Have a wonderful cruise!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Mike-Suz,

Thanks for figuring this out!! You made some great points. I was also happy to see you have been on this ship and had a great time.

Thanks for the reply

Linda A.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
First Mate

Great time??? STUPENDOUS time ! ! ! ! ! The Freedom is simply wonderful.
The staff on board are so sweet and so friendly. You are in for a very special cruise!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian