Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Passenger

Default Review of Enchantment

Just got back from a 5 nite. The ship was very nice, the Adventure Ocean instructors were competent and engaging. Our oceanview room was kept very tidy, as well as the rest of the ship. I feel like RC employees work very hard and put genuine effort in to giving people a great vacation. The food was good (we strictly ate at the Windjammer), the entertainment was good. We gave all our tips to the room steward and the windjammer staff. We tipped 2 of the windjammer dinner servers directly and they seemed so pleased. Maybe they do not see the tips as often. We packed way too much stuff; could have done with half of it! We took our DD-214 form for check in since we got a military discount and the check in agent did not ever look at it.

The main pool areas got VERY crowded around 11am-all the chairs would be taken. We learned to get there after breakfast w/ our 5 yr old daughter so she could have the pool to herself and we could sit next to the pool. We would clear out when the crowd was there, and then we would return around 4:30 or 5pm when people were dressing for dinner. The solarium area seemed very nice-quieter, cooler, more spacious and nicer deck chairs.

The gym is puny and crowded....didn't have the patience to wait for equipment. We loved to sit in deck chairs on deck 5 and listen to the ocean and have peace.

If anyone has questions about Enchantment or the Adventure Ocean please ask!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the review. I have never been on the enchantment. We always tip directly on RCCL. I would not know how to tip in the Windjammer since it is different servers every meal.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Passenger

We just took one of the tip envelops they provide and wrote windjammer on top. We gave it to the Windjammer Manager and he said he would split it up. If others tip windjammer maybe it will have an impact, I guess if not, well, we tried. It was a really nice ship, and just the right size for us.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
We gave it to the Windjammer Manager and he said he would split it up.
Well, you can hope he would At best I'd expect he might turn the money into the regular tip pool, of which those working in Windjammer get a percentage.

I am surprised to read that you didn't try the dining room for dinner at all during your cruise.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Your daughter must have enjoyed herself too with the pools and Advenure Ocean.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoper
We just took one of the tip envelops they provide and wrote windjammer on top. We gave it to the Windjammer Manager and he said he would split it up. If others tip windjammer maybe it will have an impact, I guess if not, well, we tried. It was a really nice ship, and just the right size for us.
Sounds like a workable idea and fair to all ( tipping in the Windjammer).
Someday I would like to go on this ship, it does have a trampoline.
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

One of my favorites 8) Glad you enjoyed it.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Passenger

We never tried the main dining room as we have a 5 yr old. She is well behaved, but a little restless. We fell in love with getting a table right next to a window each night, as well as the variety of choices. I think our next cruise will be sans daughter. I am glad she got to experience the cruise, and maybe when she is much older we will do this again. We have our sights set on a Medditeranean (sp?) cruise for our 10th anniversary (in 3 years). I really like RC and will cruise with them again.
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Captain

glad to see you enjoyed it, we're booked in Sept. Any pros or cons. Anything to look for, or ask for that we might not think of?

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Hi Jackieb,

To be honest, it's hard to think of cons. I guess that is good. Um, if I was planning to eat in the main dining room I would check out your table assignment when you get on to make sure it's okay and talk to the maitre d if it doesn't suit your needs. Had we eaten there, our assigned table was in the middle of the first floor, and it was a large table. If you are traveling with a child who will sleep on a bunk, I would request a rail ahead of time. You can also ask if there will be any big groups on the ship so that you know ahead of time (if that matters to you). I liked the size of the ship...not too big, and lines were fine (except to get off at a port in early a.m. by tender). You probably have chosen your stateroom. We were in 2584 (midship) and it was fine, and very quiet. I chose a room that was not next to a room that adjoined to a room on its other side to avoid family with kids who might stay up way late or potentially get rowdy. That is probably neurotic, but nevertheless, it made me feel better. I was very happy with Enchantment.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Captain

Thanks for the review. I am hoping to do a Med next, too. Let us know when/if you make your choice.

Gym question: Was there any times that it wasn't crowded? What times did you go and found it was too crowded?

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Captain

Thanks for the info, I can't wait to go, and now that they've resumed there Mexico stops were good to go!!! All we have to do is wait

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Passenger

The first time I went was a "sea" day and it was around 8:30am. It was packed. I would say it's probably emptyish from around 5pm on into the evening when everyone is getting ready for dinner. It is probably also more quiet early in the day on port days. It was just small and light on equip. Maybe 8 treadmills (3 were broken when I went), 4 or 5 elipticals, 7 weight machines, and like 4 sit down cyclers. There were quite a number of workout enthusiasts on or cruise.
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the review. glad you enjoy it
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Default disappointed with enchantment

we were on the enchantment 5/16-21 - (our second cruise with the first being a 7 night on princess in october). to be honest we were generally disappointed with the cruise. There was an awful smell in just about the entire hallway on the 2nd deck of our side of the ship. our stateroom had a decent layout but the blankets and sheets had obvious stains and had an odd odor to them. We must have been leftovers when they were matching people for dinner because my husband and i were at a table with people who had children older than us. We went to the dining room the first night and it took forever to eat and the food wasnt even earm. We went to the buffet for the rest of the meals and were unimpressed by the food. They pretty much offered the same food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday with a few varieties, and none of it was exceptionally good. I expected more seafood or anything. We wanted to eat at 5:30 one day and nothing was open except the pizza stand - and the pizza did not appear (or taste) very fresh. I am not a picky eater but still was done with the food by the 3rd day. Otherwise, The entertainment was okay but there were not enough activities scheduled -- we were sitting arouund a lot waiting. I am glad that this wasnt our first cruise because we probably wouldnt do another, but mmaybe we'll just stick with princess in the future or try the newer ships. not sure if royal caribbean is channelling their efforrts to make those better and forgetting the other classes.
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Beginner

I am booked on enchantment for my first ever cruise (I'll be almost 62 when we leave in Nov). It is interesting to see a really good review and one not so good. I am a little apprehensive about the small room, etc but am traveling with 3 good friends, and my roomie and I are very compatable. Any tips for a first-timer? I have read the tips and info by Kuki? can't remember the name for sure. thanks!
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Passenger

You will have a great time. Nothing is perfect so I imagine there might be something here and there that is not quite what you would prefer, but with an open mind you can't help but to enjoy. The room is small indeed, but you probably won't spend a whole lot of time in there.

I just made sure to check things in the room, like water pressure, toilet flushes and availability of hot water. You can walk by the main dining room (My Fair Lady) to take a look at your table so that if you want to change anything you can take care of it sooner rather than later. The Daily Compass that you will receive each day will tell you the hours that places are open (I believe we had until 3pm the first day to speak to the maitre d (spelling??) about any changes we were interested in).

If you are a morning person the pool deck (deck 9) is practically empty til around maybe 9:30 am so you can grab a plate of breakfast in the Windjammer Cafe and bring it to one of the outdoor tables. If you go to the shows in the main theater, people begin to grab seats kind of early (we were surprised to see some people seated about 45 minutes before the show). We showed up about 20 minutes prior and still managed good seats. For an outdoor nap the deck chairs on the promenad (deck 5) are great.

I would try not to overpack, and would bring extra hangers if possible. A few clothespins come in handy too. Ziplocs for wet bathing suits and towels are handy, especially for going to the beach at port. I would bring at least 2 bathing suits because things are slow to dry in your stateroom. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner because all they supply is a multi-purpose body wash and it will strip your hair. If you wear a hat on deck, you may want one with an adjustable chin strap to hold it on. We were also able to board around 11:30am, so we were sure to show up early-ish to make the most of the first day.

I will add stuff as I think of it. You will have a wonderful time.
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Beginner

Thanks so much for your input :-) Sound like good tips. Diane
Old June 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Beginner

Hi bsoper!!!

We have a trip on the Enchantment coming up on June 27th. What ports did you visit and did you do any excursions? We are hitting Grand Cayman and Cozumel and doing the jeep and dune buggy excursions. My main worry is the lunch buffet they offer and what to eat and not eat. Also, it looks like you were on deck 2. We also will be in an oceanview cabin on deck 2. Being that low concerns me. I read it was quiet for you. I also read that because deck 1 has the exit for the tenders that it can be noisy. What shape were the cabins in? I am on a wait list for a guarantee for a balcony but have no clue if it will happen or not. Anyways, I do appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Passenger

Hello Brassie92,

We were on a budget, so we did not do any shore excursions. We stopped at Grand Cayman and Montego Bay. At grand Cayman we went to the Public Beach at Seven Mile Beach. I found it to be a little puny, and a little too much activity going on in the water around us (boats in and out, jetskiis whirring around). The tender from ship to shore was quick (5 min) and we had waited til about 9:30 to get on the tender (there was no line then). At the pier there were many locals with signs asking if you need a taxi. If we had more of a budget I would suggest a better part of the beach than the public beach. The water is gorgeous and warm. Food at the restaurant at the public beach was rediculously expensive ($5 for fries). We were with a 5 yr old so the beach waqs all we did and she was thrilled. We did not go ashore for Montego Bay. It just did not interest me, I did not want to be surrounded with people trying to sell me stuff, but then again maybe that is not everyone's experience. We were supposed to go to Cozumel but w/ fline swu it was dropped. I had wanted to go to the Chankanaab Park.

Being on deck two in 2584 was fine, even on port days. No noise, but perhaps that was because we were a little bit away from the door. Our cabin was very nice. The carpet definitely looked tired, but the bathroom was clean, the linens were clean (we took off the green pillow shams and liner for the duration), the a/c worked well, plenty of hot water, a fair amount of storage, and only one day with a not-so-fresh odor. Would bring extra hangers.

Hope you get your balcony. Let me know how your trip goes. You will enjoy. Let me know if you have other q's.

bsoper
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Beginner

Thanks bsoper, appreciate the information!!!