Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Familiar Face

Default New to cruising and have questions?

Hi everyone, I have been reading for a few days and I am a want to be cruiser. My goal is to take my kids and husband on a cruise before the holidays. I have since found out that tthe last week of the year is not a great time to take a cruise.

My questions are my son is 14 my daughter is 9. I want to go somewhere warm, since we live in Michigan and its cold here in December. I think I want a 5-7 day cruise. I have no real destinatioon in mind yet. I want to spend between 1200 and 1500 for the cruise, either with or without air fair. Any help is much appreciated.
april
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Passenger

Default Re: New to cruising and have questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by april_4_us
Hi everyone, I have been reading for a few days and I am a want to be cruiser. My goal is to take my kids and husband on a cruise before the holidays. I have since found out that tthe last week of the year is not a great time to take a cruise.

My questions are my son is 14 my daughter is 9. I want to go somewhere warm, since we live in Michigan and its cold here in December. I think I want a 5-7 day cruise. I have no real destinatioon in mind yet. I want to spend between 1200 and 1500 for the cruise, either with or without air fair. Any help is much appreciated.
april
I like the Caribbean in December. The prices are better in early December but that may be a problem with your kids' school schedule. I'm not sure about the pricing for 5-7 nights but I've heard Carnival tends to have more kids and better deals for families.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
First Mate

The Caribbean or a Carribean/Bahamas cruise is great that time of year and the humidity is lower than to. If time missed from school is a problem the shorter cruises to Nassau and Cococay are great ones also. It is great to be on a beach soaking up the sun when you know it is snowing back home, makes the cruising experience that much better. A cruise makes a great gift for the Holidays too. Good luck with your search.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the advice thus far, I too was thinking of the Bahamas for the beach aspect. Should I go with a ta to book this and well I dont have one where to look? AAA? I dont even know where to start!
april
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi April,
There is a good t/a that does a lot of the Cruisemates group cruises, if you go into that section, you can get her contact info. It really does help to have someone looking out for you and helping you pick the right ship for you and your family.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by april_4_us
Thanks for the advice thus far, I too was thinking of the Bahamas for the beach aspect. Should I go with a ta to book this and well I dont have one where to look? AAA? I dont even know where to start!
april

Most cruiselines have page on their site , where you can locate travel agents (or known as TA's).
AAA has some TA's that deal with cruises.

The TA should always ask you some question

1 Budget ($)

2 number of people (adults + kids) and ages

3 Activity level

etc . If they just recommend a cruise without asking some questions,
I would quickly look for another TA .
A coworker's parents went on a cruise and came back unhappy.
Asked him (he was with them at the TA) , did the TA ask any questions ? The questions
1 How much do you want to spend ?
2 Where and when do you want to go?

Basically the TA sold them the cruise that had the best commision
for the agency.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
First Mate

We have booked on our own through RCL and with a travel agent. Since this is your first cruise I would recommend a travel agent. Once you get a few cruises under your belt you can book directly through the cruise lines website either way good luck and cruise on.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Beginner

Default Time on Cruise

Hi, We have been on over 20 cruises and find that a five day cruise after flying is just not long enough. By the time you get there, get settled, you have lost a full day. Then, before you can blink your eyes it's all over and you didn't really understand everything or find everything until the last day.

I would go for at least a 7 day. We love the 10-11 day cruises. They are just perfect because you know what's going on, have explored the ship, and can just enjoy your favorite activities.

Hope this helps.
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Admiral

8) 8)

I found that the cost of airfare is equivalent to a 5 or 7 day cruise .
We live in western canada , it takes us about 12 hrs to fly to Florida.
Once on the cruise it takes about 2 days to relax and then it is time
to get ready to disembark.

5 day cruises are good if you live within a couple of hours drive
from the port where you are leaving from.

For that is only Vancouver or Seattle (both still requires an overnight )
but that is better than flying for 8 hrs.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess