CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Excursion Soldout??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/366660-excursion-soldout.html)

thecruisequeen August 1st, 2009 09:32 AM

Excursion Soldout???

Hello fellow cruisers! :D

Has anyone experienced this....

I waited to long to book an excursion :roll: :roll: and now it is showing on the Royal site to Inquire Onboard instead of Reserve Now.

I called the 800 # and the gal told me to inquire once onboard there still is a chance I can get into this tour.

To me sounds like it is soldout and if someone should cancel then there will be room for me. :-? :-? :-?

Has anyone gotten into a tour after it was listed as Inquire Onboard :?: :?: :?:

I guess I now have to hope someone does cancel! :(

yellosno August 1st, 2009 12:23 PM

I have had this happen and no, was not able to book once onboard, however all is not lost. Most of these excursions can be booked at the pier when you get off unless it is something very unusual. Once in Hawaii, we wanted to do the Atlantis submarine , but waited too long to book onboard. We went to the Atlantis dock and two people did not show up so we were able to go. What was it you were looking at?

yellosno August 1st, 2009 12:36 PM

I would like to add a P.S.

I have also found the same tour companies online and booked that way. They set aside certain times for cruise passengers, but not all they have available. I have booked garden tours, helicopters and Atlantis subs all online, so you might try that.

shahram72 August 1st, 2009 12:49 PM

There are always hounds of vendors at the pier in every port selling every excursion imaginable, and usually at lower prices, so I wouldn't worry.

blueliner August 1st, 2009 01:03 PM

I did run into this situation once, and when I got onboard the excursion was available for sale at the excursion desk on the first day. I was told they hold back some excursion spots from online sales. They cap the online sales at a certain percentage so everyone has the possibility to book an excursion. That is what the excursion desk manager told me about 2 years ago on the Vision OTS in Alaska.

Surfguyxxx1 August 1st, 2009 02:15 PM

On my first cruise that I ever took, there were 14 of us. Since we all had different tastes, we decided to book one excursion together on our 10 day cruise. We booked online prior to departure weeks in advance.
That day we were told that 2 of our party had to stay behind because they didn't have enough to fill a jeep. Apparently, you needed 4 per jeep and the way it worked out, not enough joined up. A couple stayed behind but the damage had been done.
Celebrity, being very appologetic to our needs, bought each couple a bottle of champagne and had it delivered to our staterooms with letters of apology for the inconvenience that had been caused.

thecruisequeen August 1st, 2009 08:31 PM

You are right Blue! I called the 800 # again spoke to a different gal (the first gal was not too helpful). She told me exactly what you posted. They sell a certain amount of tickets for each tour online then when those tickets are soldout it goes from Reserve Now to Inquire Onboard.
She also said to go right to the excursions desk when the ship sets sail because it can sell out at that point.
They do keep tickets available onboard for those cruisers that don't book online or have access to a computer.

I feel better now! :D I'll just run over there at 5pm and buy the ticket.

The excursion is the Zipline Canopy Tour in San Juan. Being I thought it was soldout with Royal I contacted the tour and they quoted me a price of $125. Royal sells it for $127. The ship is in San Juan only from 8 to 2 so I would not venture on this tour on my own just in case something happened and I did not get back to the ship on time. At least doing this tour thru Royal the ship will wait if there are any delays. 8)

Donna August 2nd, 2009 10:15 AM

I agree, for the $2.00 difference sure worth booking through the cruiseline with that time in San Juan. Best of luck, hope you get to book it once onboard.

EMG August 8th, 2009 12:17 AM

I've booked many excursions off the ship and saved way more than $2. On average I have saved upwards of 30% and sometimes you're with a group from the ship.. lol..

AF1 August 10th, 2009 09:21 AM

Here are two choices. When we sailed in May we changed one of our shore excusion when we got onboard. Someone from your ship also could do this, thus freeing up more tickets. People who don't have internet access at home have to wait to book their tours; so the cruiseline keeps some tickets for that group.

addicted2 August 10th, 2009 04:45 PM

Now that CQ's cruise is under way, I wonder if she was able to book the excursion onboard the ship. CQ If you read this before your cruise is over let us know what happened and enjoy your cruise.

gx94111 August 15th, 2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
The excursion is the Zipline Canopy Tour in San Juan. Being I thought it was soldout with Royal I contacted the tour and they quoted me a price of $125. Royal sells it for $127. The ship is in San Juan only from 8 to 2 so I would not venture on this tour on my own just in case something happened and I did not get back to the ship on time. At least doing this tour thru Royal the ship will wait if there are any delays. 8)

A bit off topic but I wanted to mention if you are going to be in Antigua their zipline tour is significantly better and cheaper around $100. I've done zips in Canada, Alaska and in Antigua, St. Maarten and San Jose, Antigua's are the best ones so far. :D

Enjoy your cruise.

thecruisequeen August 16th, 2009 09:23 AM

Ok kids here is the scoop!!!

I went to the Excursions desk when I got onboard and the the zipline was indeed soldout. The few tickets they had left were sold. :evil:

The zipline in St. Maarten were also soldout.

She put me on a waiting list. Now the only chance I had was to wait and see if anyone cancelled this excursion.

On the day of the excursion I got a call in my cabin at 7:30am to tell me someone had cancelled and there is room for me. However the tour meets at 8am. :shock: It was too late at that point so I told the lady on the phone I would not go.

Lesson that I have learned here is to book excursions asap and don't wait until the last minute.

I guess I now have an excuse to go back to San Juan becuase I really want to do that zipline. :-P :D :twisted: :wink:

:D