Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Default Jewelry on board?

I have heard from several of my co-workers that have been on RCI cruises in the past that the jewelry stores on the cruise ship have good deals. Can anyone confirm that? Is it safer and better (less expensive or better quality) to buy jewelry from the cruise ship rather than on the island, or should i just save my money and go to the regular jewelry store while at home? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
First Mate

On one of our cruises a couple years ago my husband bought me a beautiful ruby and diamond ring at the jewelry store onboard. When we got home I took it to a local jewelry store to have it sized. He paid $400 onboard and a similar ring at the home store was $1400. As long as you know what is available and roughly what the price is in your area you will know if it is a good deal onboard.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

My gut answer is to buy locally, and then you have a place to deal with any issues..that being said, if you love something, and are comfortable with the price..go for it....

Look in the ship store, then look in port, see what you like, and see if any stores in port have similar items and how they are priced..the, "should I but it now, or, should I wait issue, is a tough one for us shoppers"

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Passenger

Default Jewelery

I have to say I did pretty well when we shopped in the Cayman Islands. I got a pretty big blue topaz ring for 100 and a tanzanite ring at a great price. I think the prices on board are pretty good too. I agree to do some comparison shopping before you go, then you will have a better idea.
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:39 AM
First Mate

As others have said, do your homework beforehand and you will be in a pretty good place to know if a deal is a deal.

This sort of implies that you are looking for a particular item. Spur of the minute buys are chancy.

As Kuki has said many times on these boards, with the advent of the internet, deals in the Caribbean are not as good as on line at times. Still, as a reminder of the cruise a nice piece of jewelry, or the like, is good to have even if you didn't "steal" it.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Passenger

Thanks a lot for all the responses!
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have bought a few pieces of tanzanite on the ship after comparing prices in the port simply because they were cheaper on the ship. That was my process, find something I like on the ship compare with other things I saw in port and go for the best deal. Many of the prices and items are same island to island, not all though so be careful but more then likely cheaper then anything you could get stateside. If you are worried about it breaking or other issues, all pieces bought on the ship should be guaranteed and come with a warranty. Last year I bought a bracelet on the Mariner and was able to get it fixed. Happy shopping!
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Passenger

Yup, jewelry makes a lovely souvenir! In fact, I'm wearing a gold bracelet right now that I purchased many years ago in St. Thomas. Great advice from others - know your prices before you sail. I buy & sell jewelry as part of my business and know that the prices can vary a HUGE amount between retailers for the exact same piece of jewelry. Two years ago, a dear friend of mine was SO proud of her onboard purchase of some beautiful earrings that I didn't have the heart to tell her I had seen the same pair in an onshore jewelry store or almost $300 less. That same year, my husband bought me a beautiful diamond-station bracelet from a jeweler onshore. (This was before I was buying / selling jewelry.) My husband negotiates purchases for a large corporation, so he is a master at negotiations & got my bracelet at a great price. Back in the states, that was confirmed. So, my advice - know your prices - at least a ballpark, and then be ready to (politely) negotiate price with the store manager. (Not talking about haggling like at an Bahamian straw market. ) As my husband says, "Everything is negotiable." and "The worst they can say is No."
Adventure Of The Seas 3/11/07
Adventure Of The Seas 9/18/05
NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/6/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Another tactic..once you negotiate your best price, ask, If I pay cash, can you do better. Since the merchants have to pay a % to the cc companies, they often will go a bit lower...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 17th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Beginner

A Beautiful Bracelet which always draws great comments from friends and colleagues. These are the Most Beautifully Designed Bracelet suitable for Daily, Party as well as for Simple Dressing. This Bracelet has a high quality 24K Gold Plating. Share your heart and time with your loved one.