Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 52
Default Dressing for RCCL's "My Time Dining" - Formal Nigh

UGH! Having a bit of a disagreement with my dear husband!
This will be our 12th cruise, 3rd time on Adventure of the Seas (so we are familiar with how most folks dress for dinner) and we have always dressed to the 9's on formal nights. But, this cruise, my husband wants to totally relax and he does not want to be locked into dinner times or anything else. We are planning to have breakfasts on our balcony and take advantage of the My Time Dining which, is great by me because we loved NCL's version of this. BUT, the issue of what to wear to the dining room on formal nights is where we disagree. I feel that if it is "Formal Night" then it doesn't matter when you eat or what floor of the dining room you are on - if you are in the dining room, you need to follow the dress recommendations. Now, our version of "casual" or "business casual" is still pretty dressy, and that is what we'd wear the rest of the week if we dine in the dining room. BUT, that's not formal wear either.

I'm totally OK with eating on the Lido deck, poolside, etc., if my husband just wants to chill & skip the formal nights altogether. Heck, we can eat poolside & sit in our bathing suits if that's what he wants. Fine by me. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of dressing WAY down and not going with the flow of others in the dining room on formal night anymore than I'd dress WAY down at one of his business dinners! He just doesn't seem to understand.

Can any of you tell me if you did or did not dress formally if you were dining via the My Time Dining? BTW, in case someone doesn't realize, those tables are on a particular level of the dining room.
Also, can we order dinner off of the dining room menu for room service?


Thanks for your opinions.
__________________
DonnaP
Freedom Of The Seas 8/29/10
Adventure Of The Seas 8/30/09
Adventure Of The Seas 3/11/07
Adventure Of The Seas 9/18/05
NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/6/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
thecruisequeen's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,287
Default

Even though it is Mytime dining cruisers still go formal.

However waiters are encouraging cruisers to come to the dining room formal wear or not.

If a male goes to the dining room in slacks, shirt and no jacket or tie on formal nite he will be allowed in the dining room.

Enjoy your cruise! 8)
__________________
CQ's Cruise Resume

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Central Connecticut
Posts: 489
Default

I agree with what CQ said regarding waiters encouraging people to come to the MDR on formal nights even though they may not be dressed formally.

On our AOS cruise last October, we decided not to do formal nights. So on the night before we told our tablemates and waiter that we would not be there next evening. Our waiter said, no, come anyway; no problem.

So we did.

...and felt very uncomfortable with everyone else dressed. No one said anything, and we were not the only ones in the room to have done this, but we just didn't feel right. The next formal night we dined in the Windjammer...along with quite a few others.

We have decided that formal nights, for us, are a thing of the past. However be that as it may, we will never go into the MDR on formal night, unless things change drastically.

Again, just our experience, but I thought I would share it.....
__________________
Sid1962





Read and post cruise reviews
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 24th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 52
Default

Thanks SO much to both of you! I'm going to share your replies with my husband. Maybe I should suggest that we have a nice romantic dinner in our cabin!
__________________
DonnaP
Freedom Of The Seas 8/29/10
Adventure Of The Seas 8/30/09
Adventure Of The Seas 3/11/07
Adventure Of The Seas 9/18/05
NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/6/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM
JSnow789's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 63
Send a message via AIM to JSnow789
Default

My last cruise I was alone and did MTD-and still wore my tux on formal night.

My next cruise-I'm going to wear slacks a shirt and a tie. It's only a 3 nighter and I don't feel like dragging my tux along for just 1 night. Having to have it dry cleaned after just one use isn't worth it.

I loved MTD btw... especially since I was alone. I got to meet new people every night and with one exception everyone was fantastic.
__________________
He who laughs last, didn't get it.

~~~~~~~
Norwegian Windward May, 1993 (before she became the 'Wind')
Explorer Feb, 2007
Legend Aug, 2008
Grandeur Mar, 2009
Monarch May, 2009
Monarch Sep, 2009
Enchantment Nov, 2009
Liberty Jan, 2010
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
with one exception everyone was fantastic.

J - There's got to be one in every bunch, huh?
__________________
DonnaP
Freedom Of The Seas 8/29/10
Adventure Of The Seas 8/30/09
Adventure Of The Seas 3/11/07
Adventure Of The Seas 9/18/05
NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/6/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 160
Default Re: Dressing for RCCL's "My Time Dining" - Formal

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltime
UGH! Having a bit of a disagreement with my dear husband!
This will be our 12th cruise, 3rd time on Adventure of the Seas (so we are familiar with how most folks dress for dinner) and we have always dressed to the 9's on formal nights. But, this cruise, my husband wants to totally relax and he does not want to be locked into dinner times or anything else. We are planning to have breakfasts on our balcony and take advantage of the My Time Dining which, is great by me because we loved NCL's version of this. BUT, the issue of what to wear to the dining room on formal nights is where we disagree. I feel that if it is "Formal Night" then it doesn't matter when you eat or what floor of the dining room you are on - if you are in the dining room, you need to follow the dress recommendations. Now, our version of "casual" or "business casual" is still pretty dressy, and that is what we'd wear the rest of the week if we dine in the dining room. BUT, that's not formal wear either.

I'm totally OK with eating on the Lido deck, poolside, etc., if my husband just wants to chill & skip the formal nights altogether. Heck, we can eat poolside & sit in our bathing suits if that's what he wants. Fine by me. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of dressing WAY down and not going with the flow of others in the dining room on formal night anymore than I'd dress WAY down at one of his business dinners! He just doesn't seem to understand.

Can any of you tell me if you did or did not dress formally if you were dining via the My Time Dining? BTW, in case someone doesn't realize, those tables are on a particular level of the dining room.
Also, can we order dinner off of the dining room menu for room service?


Thanks for your opinions.
Traveltime-I'm like your husband--can't stand dressing up for formal night--usually do it tho because my wife likes that crap---hate pictures even worse.

But our compromise is going only 1 night and do the other in something like Portofinos. May try the room service in our suite this time and enjoy the ocean going by.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 12
Default

We just came back from a cruise and a lot of people dressed down for formal night. We were told to dress up if we brought dress clothes with us and if not we should still go into the dining room. It's totally up to you but i would say let your husband dress however he wants. I have to dress up every day when i go to work so when i'm on vacation i don't want to be forced to dress a certain way. Enjoy your vacation
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:37 AM
JSnow789's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 63
Send a message via AIM to JSnow789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltime
Quote:
with one exception everyone was fantastic.

J - There's got to be one in every bunch, huh?
Yes, it seems there is. And this one was a real winner. I wasn't the first to get up and leave the table and after I did they asked him to leave. Although he was dressed in a tux he was extremely racist, homophobic and just plain offensive. You can put a tux on a pig-but it's still just a pig.

__________________
He who laughs last, didn't get it.

~~~~~~~
Norwegian Windward May, 1993 (before she became the 'Wind')
Explorer Feb, 2007
Legend Aug, 2008
Grandeur Mar, 2009
Monarch May, 2009
Monarch Sep, 2009
Enchantment Nov, 2009
Liberty Jan, 2010
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 52
Default

Brewtown & New 77,
Yup, I'm not big into having my picture taken - I'm just not particularly photogenic. And after the week my husband has had at work, I really, really want him to totally relax so I'm just dropping this subject with him & I'll go with whatever he wants to do.
J - Oh, I can't STAND people like that! Four of my 5 children (all young adults now) are adopted and one of them is black. I do not tolerate racist or homophobic, etc. remarks. I'm always polite, but can shut someone up quickly by telling them that one of my sons is black AND that if one (or more) of my children were gay, it wouldn't change the way I love them at all! So sad that in this day we are STILL dealing with prejudices!
__________________
DonnaP
Freedom Of The Seas 8/29/10
Adventure Of The Seas 8/30/09
Adventure Of The Seas 3/11/07
Adventure Of The Seas 9/18/05
NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/6/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:19 PM
EMG's Avatar
EMG EMG is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 303
Default

My opinon is this; what someone else is wearing doesn't really bother me; it could be because of my culture. Formal nights are funny to me because I find the humor in everything and seeing people "try" to dress up is hilarious. I'll be dressed for both formal nights of this cruise but I will be wearing sneakers. I thought about just wearing a shirt, tie, jacket and swim trunks because when I'm sitting down, how can see under the table?

My opinion is this; don't turn a hole into a ditch by continually digging at it.
__________________
CCL Valor : September 2013
CCL Breeze : April 2013
RCCL Oasis : September 2012
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old August 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 52
Default

EMG, now THAT'S a great attitude!
__________________
DonnaP
Freedom Of The Seas 8/29/10
Adventure Of The Seas 8/30/09
Adventure Of The Seas 3/11/07
Adventure Of The Seas 9/18/05
NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/6/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

EMG.... I'm old and therefore have an 8) old school perspective about this topic..I was raised that you dress to compliment your lady..if she looks good, then I must look good as a reflection of her and my mother..most females that I know who enjoy going on cruises like to dress up on formal nights and look good on non formal nights (which is why i always like the basic black dress, it's easy for a man to coordinate with her and still pack light)..therefore I will dress in the prescribed manner..and always when i am in public (training from my mother about being a reflection on her at all times)..the attention on these nights onboard should always be on the lady and in the great taste that she shows by being with a well dress man

you are of the younger generation and have a different perspective which i respect..however, where we both agree is that we enjoy watching how other people dress up( or what passes for dress up) for formal nights..my brother who is a retired nurse went on a HOGS (motorcycle fans) cruise where on formal night they dress up in their biker leather formals..he said the non biker guest were in a tithe all night which he thought was funny as heck

i'm sure your lady friend will not let you out the cabin for dinner looking like that (or if she does, she might not let you back in the cabin later)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:26 AM
EMG's Avatar
EMG EMG is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 303
Default

We've talked about the sneakers thing.. She's okay with it.

__________________
CCL Valor : September 2013
CCL Breeze : April 2013
RCCL Oasis : September 2012
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) is it safe to assume your shoe strings will match something that she is wearing 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:32 PM
EMG's Avatar
EMG EMG is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 303
Default

Everything will be all white.. Sneakers, laces, slacks, shirt, vest, and bow tie.

Second night.. black is my theme..

I'll be sure to post pics, with my sneakers and my new haircut; a mohawk! lol
__________________
CCL Valor : September 2013
CCL Breeze : April 2013
RCCL Oasis : September 2012
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
EMG's Avatar
EMG EMG is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 303
Default

Everything will be all white.. Sneakers, laces, slacks, shirt, vest, and bow tie.

Second night.. black is my theme..

I'll be sure to post pics, with my sneakers and my new haircut; a mohawk! lol
__________________
CCL Valor : September 2013
CCL Breeze : April 2013
RCCL Oasis : September 2012
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

EMG..sounds like you and your lady with those outfits could go on the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage cruise next May
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
EMG.... I'm old and therefore have an 8) old school perspective about this topic..I was raised that you dress to compliment your lady..if she looks good, then I must look good as a reflection of her and my mother..most females that I know who enjoy going on cruises like to dress up on formal nights and look good on non formal nights (which is why i always like the basic black dress, it's easy for a man to coordinate with her and still pack light)..therefore I will dress in the prescribed manner..and always when i am in public (training from my mother about being a reflection on her at all times)..the attention on these nights onboard should always be on the lady and in the great taste that she shows by being with a well dress man

you are of the younger generation and have a different perspective which i respect..however, where we both agree is that we enjoy watching how other people dress up( or what passes for dress up) for formal nights..my brother who is a retired nurse went on a HOGS (motorcycle fans) cruise where on formal night they dress up in their biker leather formals..he said the non biker guest were in a tithe all night which he thought was funny as heck

i'm sure your lady friend will not let you out the cabin for dinner looking like that (or if she does, she might not let you back in the cabin later)
my feeling exactly, just could not say it as well ! I also ride a motorcycle and have seen what you describe, very entertaining
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
america, cruise, dining, dinner, dressy, formal, holland, joyner, my, mytime, powered, rccl, rcclmytimedining, time, tom, vbulletin, wear

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On RCCL, "My Time Dining" is "THEIR TIME DINI longbeachlarry Royal Caribbean International 19 October 31st, 2009 06:48 PM
"My Time" dining on Freedom of the Seas? lysolqn Royal Caribbean International 3 February 29th, 2008 08:23 PM
HAL to add "open seaing" dining option fleetwide jleq Holland America 15 December 21st, 2007 06:13 PM
"Kiddie" pools & Formal dining fmhealth Holland America 15 March 6th, 2007 03:08 AM
"Ship" time vs "shore" time LT Shore Excursions 7 April 14th, 2004 12:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1