Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Beginner

Default new to royal caribbean

I've posted this on other forums, so sorry if you've read this elsewhere:

Hello, my family is booked on a Royal Caribbean cruise for next month. We have only done one other cruise and it was a Disney cruise. We will be on the Enchantment of the Seas.
I have TONS of questions. Of course the basics, what is the boat like? I will have 2 kids with me, aged 2 & 6. It will be mostly just me and them as my hubby will be doing business conferences on the ship.
I am not a huge fan of being on the ship, I more enjoy being out at the ports. The biggest thing I am dreading is supper. Is it really just a huge dining room where everyone eats together? At disney we were rotated through restaurants. What is the dining experience with this ship?

We will leave Ft. Lauderdale with stops in Key West, Cozumel and Belize plus one day at sea. I am very familiar with Key West, but have not been to either one of the other ports. What is there to do their that is kid friendly? I am excited at the prospect of visiting Mayan ruins. We all enjoy sight seeing off the beaten path. We are not interested in the typical touristy stuff that seems to be at the ports. We enjoy seeing historical places and animal watching. Animal watching is a very big deal to both my older daughter and me. We are beyond excited about the fact there are toucans and such in Belize. We are comfortable going off the beaten path. We prefer walking (up to 3-4 miles), but are not totally opposed to transportation (taxi, bus, ferry, etc.). One of our favorite past excursions was walking through Nassau to the Queen's Staircase.

As I said, we have one day at sea. I am pretty anxious about this as I do have the kids, one who is too young for the kids clubs onboard. What is there to do on the ship with the kids? Mind you, the youngest isn't allowed in the pools.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Admiral

You will have plenty to do onboard the Enchantment OTS. First, while onboard always refer to her as a "ship", never a "boat".

In Cozumel, a great trip is to the Mayan ruins in Tulum. Take the ships tour, since the tour includes a ferry trip from Cozumel over to Playa del Carmen and a bus trip, trying to do this on your own would be extremely difficult. The ship's tour will come with an english speaking guide and include the entrance fee to the ruins. In Belize, visit the zoo or one of the bird sanctuaries there. Be very careful with wondering around Belize City, many neighborhoods are NOT safe for tourist. There is a tourist zone at the dock where your tender will bring you into, if leaving the tourist zone, use one of the tourist taxis rather than try to walk. You are perfectly safe in the tourist zone which includes activities, restaurants and shops. When I was in Belize, we did the cave tubing in the jungle and had a great time.

As for the ship, the Enchantment OTS is a Vision Class ship and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Voyager or Freedom class ships. It has very nice public areas, including a shopping area, a library, internet cafe, pool deck, many fabulous lounges, a rock climbing wall and so on. She doesn't have the Royal Promenade, the ice rink, or flow riders, but she still has great public areas, spacious rooms and great activities. Read the Cruise Compass every day to get a good idea of the daily activities. A few years ago, they did add a new section to the middle of the ship and lengthen her adding new cabins and more public areas.

The dining room is a multi-level dining room and you will have the same table every evening. The dining room has different sections and each level is a different dining room. You'll have the same wait staff every evening, and the table sizes range from 2 - 12 per table. Nothing to dread, just show up and enjoy the food. You also have the option of the Windjammer cafe which is the buffet onboard.

Enjoy and have a great cruise!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13