Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Admiral

I loved all my inside cabins in the past and will continue to love my inside cabins in the future.

Hey TM I got Oasis fever too!! Can you tell??

Have an awesome weekend everyone! 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Yes CQ, I can tell you have Oasis fever.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM
First Mate

I think there is a vaccine for oasis fever....but you have to fall into one of the high risk groups.....! 8)

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisermeg
I think there is a vaccine for oasis fever....but you have to fall into one of the high risk groups.....! 8)
The cure for Oasis fever is to book a cure on her.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old November 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM
First Mate

I'm on the cheap end of the scale. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and we get offered so many vacations that are all inclusive at reasonable prices. Cruising, even at some of the cheaper rates is still more expensive.

Paying the current premium for Oasis is very high for us. Just to give you an idea, a one week vacation including airfare, hotel, food and alcohol on the beach in a 5* or more resort starts from just CAD$1138 (and goes up to the most expensive being CAD$3912). That's about USD$1070. The cheapest airfare deal I can find around that time from Montreal to Florida is $389. Leaving $681 for the cruise, transfers and alcohol, not to mention the separate daily tipping.

The cheapest I'm seeing on Oasis at Christmas at the moment is $1649 not including airfare, transfers, alcohol and tips. That's quite a premium for Canadians to pay.... From $152 a day for everything to $235 a day with nothing.
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Ephraim, I understand and respect your point of view.

I am such a cruise lover that is the type of vacation that I enjoy the most.

We do some type of land vacation every year (been to all the countries in Western Europe), but I just love ocean voyages.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old November 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM
First Mate

Manuel, I love cruises as well. But this is the reason that Canadians account for a smaller percentage on the ships. And in the case of the new ships with their premium prices.... it's very hard to justify. Which is why we don't seem to ever be on the new ships... but instead the older ships which don't have this premium.

I imagine that I will eventually get to see the Freedom class and the Genesis class, when their premiums are more affordable to us.
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ephraim I hear your point loud and clear.

And what connections does the kid with the Bear have ? Are his parents executives or high rollers?
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Captain

I think they will have a good couple year honeymoon period with it. Many love to boast they have been on the biggest cruise ship that is out. However, I do expect some glitches with it at first especially the embarking/disembarking. Also, I still don't think I want to be in any port when it rolls in and unloads five or six thousand passengers. Good Lord!

I believe it will appeal to certain types of cruisers but not enough to older cruisers which are a huge part of their market. Small ships are challenging enough for older and disabled cruisers and I really doubt many will want to walk or wheelchair a half mile between shows, restaurants etc. on this ship. I think it will appeal more to reasonably healthy families and those individuals who like to stick out their chest and say they've been on the biggest ship out there (like they had something to do with it lol).

The other thing I can't quite comprehend is that between it and the Allure when it comes on line, they will need something between 40 and 50 thousand passengers a month between these two ships to really do well at all. With the world economy, I wish them the best but I think it's a huge, company risking untertaking. Whatever happens, it's going to be interesting to watch!
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Admiral

The rates on Oasis will have to come Down. They are high now but once Allure is out there is no way the rates can remain high on both. Unless this economy picks up...which is not going to happen overnight.

Oasis and Allure might not appeal to the older folks.
The older folks might enjoy Princess or HAL better.

I don't think the older cruisers are a huge part of Royal's market at all. It's the families in the 30's into the 50's with kids and teens.
Or those older folks that are a teen at heart... 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
First Mate

CQ... those families are nice, but they don't travel year round. Eventually you have to fill that ship with DINKs and let's be realistic, how many DINKs are there.... This thing will even be hard to sell out for an Atlantis cruise off-season.

BTW, do you guys know that there is a Costa ship that is chartered for Canadians and Europeans in the winter? It isn't sold by Costa at all. The ship actually disappears from Costa's listings for the whole winter. It is sold exclusively by one of the Canadian tour operators.

The cruise leaves from La Romana and does the following stops:

Catalina Island, Dominican Republic
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
St.John's, Antigua
Castries, St.Lucia
Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe
Philipsburg, St.Maarten

That's right, no sea days at all!

Alcohol isn't included and nor are tips. But it always includes the flight on a charter and transfer to the ship.
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim
CQ... those families are nice, but they don't travel year round. Eventually you have to fill that ship with DINKs and let's be realistic, how many DINKs are there.... This thing will even be hard to sell out for an Atlantis cruise off-season.

BTW, do you guys know that there is a Costa ship that is chartered for Canadians and Europeans in the winter? It isn't sold by Costa at all. The ship actually disappears from Costa's listings for the whole winter. It is sold exclusively by one of the Canadian tour operators.

The cruise leaves from La Romana and does the following stops:

Catalina Island, Dominican Republic
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
St.John's, Antigua
Castries, St.Lucia
Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe
Philipsburg, St.Maarten

That's right, no sea days at all!

Alcohol isn't included and nor are tips. But it always includes the flight on a charter and transfer to the ship.
Just curious...What are DINKS?
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:31 PM
First Mate

DINKs = Double Income, No Kids. Let's see, that's young couples, older couples and Gay/Lesbian couples.
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Alot of families do travel year around.

I received an email from my Agent on a special for Costa over Thanksgiving week for $293. for a 7 niter.
Now that is dirt cheap and over a holiday too.

What or who is a Dink?

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
The rates on Oasis will have to come Down. They are high now but once Allure is out there is no way the rates can remain high on both. Unless this economy picks up...which is not going to happen overnight.

Oasis and Allure might not appeal to the older folks.
The older folks might enjoy Princess or HAL better.

I don't think the older cruisers are a huge part of Royal's market at all. It's the families in the 30's into the 50's with kids and teens.
Or those older folks that are a teen at heart... 8)
Yes, I agree - the prices have to come down a lot to be in the same ballpark as other cruises out there. Even when the ecomony is on the real road to recovery it will be a long time before average earning families an afford to cruise. They will have to get themselves back into a financial picture that makes that possible which means catching up with the last year or more and that will take at least twice that amount of time.

In the meanwhile, the people who are really able to cruise are at the upper end of the income scale and have managed to survive this economic chaos. Most of them are in the older age bracket - 50 and up. So, if RCL wants to survive with this monster ship and it's sister they have to start respecting the older generation and their most frequent cruisers, something they are not doing right now.

I can see by what comes across my desk there are lots of open cabins on the early sailings- a time when the ship should be sailing full. This does not bode well in my opinion. I do hope they get their collective heads around this and start trying to win back some of the cruisers they have alientated as well as their families and friends.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

RCCL does not a appreciate their loyal customer base. All the advertisments for the Oasis are coming to my kids ( 0ver 21).

I would like to go on the Oasis at some point for me the money to go out weights the value when you can get a wonderful cruise for short money.
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Admiral

I cruised on Royal once, as a Diamond member with my status from Celebrity, and I felt that they apreciated my business. The Crown and Anchor hostess was allways there when I needed her services.

I will be on the Liberty OTS on nov. 22nd. and Oasis in april 2010

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old November 8th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Admiral

There are still many cruisers still cruising in this horrible economy that are under 50.
As bad as the economy is there are many of the younger cruisers that are not effected by the economy and it is business as usual.

On my five sailings on Freedom class ships the big chunk of cruisers were the 30's to late 50's group. And Liberty OS having 60% of Europeans.

The Sweet 15 parties are a huge hit on Freedom class and will be a big hit on Oasis class too.

Many ships are not full and that goes for all lines.

Oasis seems to be geared toward the families. And there are alot of them out there that are vacationing and may realize that cruising is the best family vacation even better then Disney parks and all inclusives.

I have a feeling the chuck of cruisers on my Oasis sailing will be the 30's to 50's group. Of course there will be the 20's, honeymooners and the over 60's group too! 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
I cruised on Royal once, as a Diamond member with my status from Celebrity, and I felt that they apreciated my business. The Crown and Anchor hostess was allways there when I needed her services.

I will be on the Liberty OTS on nov. 22nd. and Oasis in april 2010

TM

I'm also happy with Diamond member status. The service is still there however the pillow chocolate is gone. But that is a good thing I don't need the calories....

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
First Mate

Reminds me of the whole Best Buy thing. A few years ago some of their internal names of customer groups got published.

Devils, Angels, Barrys, Jills and Buzzes were the few that come to mind. You can read about them at http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2004/11/4382.ars

The point is that they have a certain demographic that they believe will buy this product at their price point. If you don't fall into this demographic then it's a waste of money to market to you that particular product.

My guess is that they want to market this to families and to people who are early adopters, so that they can spread the word about it. I'm certainly not part of the families target market. While I'm an early adopter, I'm not part of the group that is willing to pay a premium to be an early adopter.... I'm to price conscious for that, I work too hard for my money. So, they likely won't market this to me, other than in email which is a no cost medium. I expect a lot of families are going to get the flyers.

It is clear to see that these companies are starting to figure out some of their markets, though it's just as clear that they didn't understand any of them at one time and they were simply selling and hoping to fill. For example, for many years they were selling 7 day trips out of the UK and didn't seem to understand that the British weren't going to buy because it was too short. The same way that they don't push as much in Canada because they can't compete as well with the land vacations and the airfare without working out a deal with a charter airline. And of course other Europeans who want to be served in their language. But the product is changing... that was the point last year when RCI introduced more locally driven product... but you also saw what a backlash that caused with some people who wanted to travel to Europe, speak English, pay in USD and eat American food. (Operative word here is SOME... so don't flame me for this).

I am sure that many more people are going to feel alienated as they start to target groups for different times of the year and different markets.

For me, the other problem with Oasis is that the size of the ship limits the ports and the ports are the important part for me. But again... I'm not their target audience.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Admiral

I don't see why people would feel alienated by targeting a ship a certain way. It is just another option for those cruisers waiting for this type of a ship.

There are still smaller ships like the Radience class that cruisers might enjoy.

Oasis is just another option for those seeking a big active resort type of cruiseship. Oasis is not for everyone.

There is now a cruise ship out there for everyone. It is great to have choices and different types of ships for all age groups.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Captain

I think we also have to remember that getting these huge ships filled to capacity (or nearly so) week after week, year after year, is only part of the challenge these days. The cruiselines make most of their money from you after you are on board. Just about anyone who makes at least a reasonable salary can probably afford the basics of a cruise (the cruise, airfare etc). However, I noticed something important while on Enchantment last week...It was pretty obvious that once on board, people aren't spending and splurging like they used to. The spas, casinos and premium restaurants just aren't hopping as much as in the past. A few times, we walked by the casino and it was almost startling how empty it was. Don't get me wrong, these areas weren't ghost towns but it was obvious business was down. There weren't the usual large lines to look at and buy photos and alot more people were saying "no thanks" to drinks at shows or other events. There was never more than a couple people in line for the coffee and premium ice cream shops and I could list several more examples.

There are plenty of young people on cruises. However, alot of these are folks, especially in their late teens and early twenties (sadly) where mommy and daddy on are board also and paying the bill. These young folks are more sun worshipers and belly flop contestants than they are in to buying stuff on board, especially when mom and dad are holding the money

I think there will be some challenges keeping ships full (especially the new mega-ships after several months). But even more challenging is going to be getting people back to spending like they used to once on board.
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
I loved all my inside cabins in the past and will continue to love my inside cabins in the future.

Hey TM I got Oasis fever too!! Can you tell??

Have an awesome weekend everyone! 8)
Which Oasis cruise in December are you on?
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
First Mate

My opinion on Oasis:
not my cup of tea. Too many things which are taken away from a real cruise, to much geared to the inside, too big BUT

Oasis will have its place and clientele. I will go on it because as a TA you have to know the product. I will give a totally objective review just like I will do with the Carnival Dream on Friday and the Epic next year.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I'm on the cheap end of the scale. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and we get offered so many vacations that are all inclusive at reasonable prices. Cruising, even at some of the cheaper rates is still more expensive.

Paying the current premium for Oasis is very high for us. Just to give you an idea, a one week vacation including airfare, hotel, food and alcohol on the beach in a 5* or more resort starts from just CAD$1138 (and goes up to the most expensive being CAD$3912). That's about USD$1070. The cheapest airfare deal I can find around that time from Montreal to Florida is $389. Leaving $681 for the cruise, transfers and alcohol, not to mention the separate daily tipping.

The cheapest I'm seeing on Oasis at Christmas at the moment is $1649 not including airfare, transfers, alcohol and tips. That's quite a premium for Canadians to pay.... From $152 a day for everything to $235 a day with nothing.
Interesting in that the Chicago Tribune just had a travel article -- cruise vs all inclusive. The article mentioned Oasis and all the pay restaurants, but really banged the industry for all the nickle and diming going on, and concluded that an all inclusive in the caribbean was a better way to go.
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon
Quote:

Interesting in that the Chicago Tribune just had a travel article -- cruise vs all inclusive. The article mentioned Oasis and all the pay restaurants, but really banged the industry for all the nickle and diming going on, and concluded that an all inclusive in the caribbean was a better way to go.
I agree - AI is a better bang for your buck no matter what the cruise-a-holics say. From YYZ you can get a 5* resort for $2,500 a person and that is top of the line - average would be about $1,500 - that includes air, transfers, all meals including speciality dining, drinks entertainment (albeit not top notch), scuba lesson, dancing lesson, horseback riding, disco and all tips included.

Ccruising can't touch that.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old November 10th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon
Quote:

I'm not so sure about that. The wife and I just did a 5 day cruise on the Enchantment and when you add up everything including the cruise, air and what we spent on board, it was about 900 dollars each. Granted that was for a basic inside cabin but we are rarely in the cabin so the somewhat fanicer room at an AI wouldn't really mean that much to me. We didn't go crazy with spending but we did get a massage each, did some bingo (finally broke down and figured if you can't beat 'em, join em' lol), some other gambling, one excursion in the Caymans, a beach trip in Cozumel and we weren't bashful about the amount of alcoholic and non-alcholic drinks. Again, we came in far cheaper than 1500 or so a piece of an AI.

The possible appeal of an AI to me would be avoiding the occassional feeling one gets on a cruise which, the only way I can describe it, feels like you're part of a herd of cattle...Mainly when tendering, disembarking, mid-night buffet, windjammer or some of the other lines for various things. That part would be appealing but still not really enough to do an AI instead of a cruise.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:28 PM
First Mate

Just checking for the start of December. Week from Montreal 4* all inclusive in Varadero is CAD$775 pp and that includes flight from Montreal, room, food and alcohol.
Old November 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
First Mate

Well, we finally decided on our next cruise... we leave January for the Panama Canal....

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.
(A palindrome, which is a silly words, since it isn't itself a palindrome.)

In any case, we booked it yesterday, last night I booked flights (with a slight deviation to Las Vegas), rented a car and even our guarantee room was already assigned (it was actually assigned when we just had the 24 hour courtesy hold on the room... pretty quick, if you ask me).

Oh... and we are going Princess. The only cruise RCL had doesn't go through... and I want the full experience. There was an Azamara, but it didn't seem worth the premium. They have two with Celebrity and we couldn't possible have been able to make the 3rd, especially with the inflated air fares and the 17th was much more expensive. Plus on Princess we don't have to pay for our Internet access.
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Admiral

We're doing the Panama with HAL in January. Just 1/2 though - don't have time for a full transit.

RCL stopped doing any part of it and don't call their cruise Panama anymore. They just stop at Cristobal now.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub