Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Beginner

Smile Freedom of the seas Excursions

We are headed to the Caribbean 2/20/10 and are asking anyone that has gone to Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen, or Cozumel. we would like to find out what are the best excursions at each stop. also we heard that at Ocho Rios Dunns River falls they give you shoes to wear when climbing the falls, is this true? do you think an active 80 year old could hike it? also in Labadee do you think an active 80 year old could do the zip line? any input you could give would be great
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

At Ocho Rios they will rent you a beaten up old pair of water shoes for $5. Get a pair at Walmart before you go. Dunn's River Falls are great, but what you are doing is walking up a waterfall with huge worn down boulders as the stairs. You will get soaking wet and it is very slippery. It takes quite a while to get up there and a 'leader' shows you the way- all holding hands. When I saw it I knew I couldn't contemplate doing it and I am nowhere near that age...
We took the RCCL excursion over there- it was billed as a leisurely cruise with tropical punch, Calypso music.... yeah right. We were on a sort of tug boat, got a Dixie cup of warm punch and nothing else, except they pointed out where the cup for tips were.. You can get a taxi over and do your own thing much more cheaply. That goes for all the excursions really. The one thing you get with a cruise line sponsored excursion is that if you are delayed getting back they will wait for you. If you're out on your own, they will not.
Generally speaking Jamaica is more edgy than I like, a lot of pests asking you to buy weed, stuff like that, aggressive vendors, it wears on you after a while.
Labadee is an island paradise, it is a peninsula off the coast of Haiti. It is a beach day with BBQ and drinks. They have all the water toys. WE did the tour of the island by Jetski with a RCCL leader.
Cozumel - last time we did the Royal Swim with Dolphins- booked direct with Swim with Dolphins at Dolphin Discovery on Mexico and the Caribbean its cheaper than the ship tour. We took a taxi to Chankanaab Park for $10 and spent a couple of hours there. It was an expensive day but so thrilling. If the ship does not make it into port ( weather) they will refund 90% to you. Cozumel is easy to get around, it is one two to four lane road all along the beach. From the pier into the town 'center' costs around $6. We usually eat at Pancho's Backyard, nice food, lovely atmosphere, Mariachi music playing and it has lots of little shady atria.
Have a look at the Cozumel Insider - Cozumel MX - Activities, Accomodations, Trip planning and so much more... it has lots of things to appeal.
Sometimes we go to Margaritaville, it's not far from the pier.
One other time we went to Playa Mia beach resort, a private beach, pool, restaurant- there are several along the main road, Paradise Beach, Nachi Cocum- you can pay various rates to enter- all inclusive with drinks/food or other levels, for $5 you get a nice lounger with sun umbrella.
Georgetown, GC- I usually shop in town (jewelry) and eventually we end up at 7 mile beach. Lovely. Never taken an organised tour there.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

They also have a stairway up the side of the falls...I don't think even an active 80 year old should attempt the falls, the rocks are slippery and it can get tricky...She may want to just walk up the stairs...

I haven't done the zip line at Labadee, so you'd have to check that out, depending on the walking involved. One I did in Jamaica was quite a bit of walking in the woods, don't think an 80 year old would have enjoyed it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think the Zipline and the roller coaster are closed down on Labadee since the earthquake... dunno if it is for structural testing or just as a mark of respect..?