Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Anyone remember....

Years ago while cruising on Royal Caribbean, you used to be able to purchase a wooden horse that would be in a horse race at the end of the week. The owners of these horses would name them, dress them up and share in any winning from the race. They were great fun, but haven't seen that in awhile....

Anyone else remember these and if so, what happened to them?

Message Boards Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

How far back are we talking? I have never heard of this; have been sailing Royal since 1996
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Then, it would of had to been before that...It was great, the races were by the pool and you could bet and win if the horse won....They would spin dice to how many spaces a horse could move.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Admiral

I remember them (said fondly). I guess they couldn't make enough money on the bets to keep it up or the ships have perhaps gotten too big with too many people?

I don't know, but it would be nice to see them back.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Last time I saw one was on Carnival Miracle in Jan. 08. I remember all the weird "costumes" they were dressed up in, and seeing them all around the ship, even in the dining room. Never did see an actual race though...

donna
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Admiral

I remember the " horse races " Donna was referring to. It must have been phased out as I haven't seen or even thought of one for years until I saw her post. I think Celebrity had those at one time too.
I guess over time people lost interest until they weren't worth the trouble and too, having people inside spending money on bingo probably is a bigger source of income for the cruise line than having people around the pool for horse races !

Last edited by Ron; June 29th, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Familiar Face

I remember the races and the dressed up horses. Carnival had them in may of 1983. Princess also had them in the 80's
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Admiral

It may have been that the price of owning a horse was up there, usually a group of cruisers would go in together and buy one. Remember out of the half dozen or so horses, only one would hopefully win the race enough to pay everyone back, for the other remaining owners, they were out hundreds....

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi, yes I remember those horse races on rccl, don't know what happened to them.
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:16 AM
Admiral

I remember it vividly and my friends and I were owners (we won by the way)..it was like being at the Kentucky Derby at Sea..we had planned on doing this activity before we left for the cruise, so we had coordinated our colors, had a pre race party wearing our colors, took a picture with our jockey (a crew member) and "horse"..had pictures taken in the winners circle and then had a big celebration at dinner that evening

too bad they don't do it anymore...there is so much focus on the "bells and whistles" technology, that the cruise lines have forgotten it's sometimes the simple games that guest enjoy..much like today's kids/grandkids...my grandson has a wifi, but i got him some lego logs for Christmas..guess which one he plays with the most :eek:
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM
Admiral

yes i do remember the horse races. Princess used to do them also. The people really got into the whole thing.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our dining table bought a horse. We brought it to dinner every night, dressed of course. We won the final horse race and that was a blast. The only problem we had for the entire 10 days was with the bingo people the afternoon of the final race. They did that one in the theatre and bingo was next. The "owners" were allowed to sit in the first row and the bingo people thought they had that row reserved. It was a hoot to hear them. I still don't like bingo :-)
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Forgot to tell you - our horse's name was "Hoofed Hearted" (named by one of our table mates. The race announcer was a Brit - you can imagine the laughter during the race.
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Years ago while cruising on Royal Caribbean, you used to be able to purchase a wooden horse that would be in a horse race at the end of the week. The owners of these horses would name them, dress them up and share in any winning from the race. They were great fun, but haven't seen that in awhile....

Anyone else remember these and if so, what happened to them?
Donna, I did see that once but not sure if it was on RCCL or Princess. I think people bid on the horses. I was surprised how much money they went for, I think there was drinking involved. Mike
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

I fondly remember the horses from Song of America circa 1988. Our table mate purchased a horse, dressed it, and it came to dinner every evening! It's been many years but I have a vague recollection that you had to bid on the horses and I think the equine in question went for $75.
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Admiral

I remember the horse races. We had them on the Monarch in 1998. Never purchased one but I do remember some side betting going on though.
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Beginner

I was on Enchantment in 2004, right before she went in to be lengthened, and there was the horse race then. One of my tablemates was a jockey - poor horse. But I haven't seen them since then.
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

We remember the horse races from the late 80's. It was fun to watch them and join in the "betting". We still do them now at our yacht club on Derby Day. We have six or so horses and betting to go along. It's a good time!
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Enchantment in 2001 and they had them. Haven't seen them since though and we have cruised many times since then. Funny you mentioned that, I mentioned it to my hubby when we were on the Serenade in March.
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:21 PM
First Mate

Donna,
I remember seeing them on RC Granduer of the Seas that sailed out of NO a few years back. People had so much fun decorating them and showing them off - at the time I did not indulge myself in that activity, but I wish I had once I saw how cute the horses were.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Yes, they were cute horses and some of the names, OMG!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I remember the horse races!!! We used to bet on them all the time, it was one of our cruise highlights - races were poolside and jockeys got free drinks There were 6 horses and they moved by "shaking the dice", which were in little, metal hourglass shaped cages - I can hear the crowd yelling for "DOUBLES" right now!!! ha ha ha!

The last time I remember Royal having horse races, which was the last time we owned a horse, was back in September 2003. We were sailing on the new Serenade of the Seas to Canada and bought "Yuengling" - named after American's Oldest Brewery, which is located near our hometown - for a few hundred dollars. Unfortunately we didn't win the owners race, but we had a great time decorating the horse and carrying him around with us everywhere we went. I remember those horses going for a lot of money way back in the day (OMG, I sound like my parents!!!!).

The last time I remember any kind of races being held on board was in 2004 when we sailed on Voyager ~ they had car races through the Royal Promenade.

Ahhh...the good ole days!!! Thanks for the memories, Donna!!
Norwegian Gem
Voyager of the Seas - X2
Empress of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Celebrity Horizon
Monarch of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Carnival Fantasy
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

My first cruise was in the mid 70's (Oceanic of Home Lines) and they played the horses around the pool. You were allowed to buy, decorate, and name the horse, and hang its banners/colors/names/whatever around the ship so that people would bet on it. You could also wear their colors at the time of the race. If your horse won, you got a bigger cut than everyone else who also bet on your horse and won. I was not able to buy a horse, but I did roll the dice for one game and won some money! Oh, those were the good ole days.
Does anyone remember the mileage pool?
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

There was always a horse named: Whatsamatteryou.
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Good one Don!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

They did this on the Carnival Freedom when we were on the Freedom for Turkeys Cruisemates cruise over Thanksgiving of 2008. Remember because one family dressed theirs up in Ohio State garb....after our whole gang got on in Buckeye gear (it was the same day as the Michigan game which the good guys won!). They were a lot of fun.