CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Tiping standards in the conscierge /Diamond lounges. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/376272-tiping-standards-conscierge-diamond-lounges.html)

DJLDRUMS August 20th, 2010 02:33 PM

Tiping standards in the conscierge /Diamond lounges.

Has anyone used a "standard" for tipping the bar staff that makes drinks for those who use the Diamond/Diamond+ lounges. The same with the person working as the Conscierge in the Diamond lounges. Even if he or she has made a couple of drinks and been helpful in providing information and answering questions.
We tipped what we thought was a good tip to the bar tenders working the lounge as well as the Conscierge occasionally making the free drinks for us but would like to hear from other Diamond/ Diamond + members who has experienced this and what they have tipped the bar tenders and Conscierge. This is not about their service being good or not so good but as a token to show our generosity and gratefulness.
Thanks in advance !

felix_the_cat August 20th, 2010 03:35 PM

Well, I know people get mad at me, but no service no gratuity. Very simple. When the bar staff make our drinks we will give a gratuity however if the concierge has done nothing but say hello and check our cards, he/she gets nothing. Nothing was earned.

I've earned my way into the concierge lounge - I don't have to be thankful because the concierge is sitting there.

yellosno August 20th, 2010 08:05 PM

I don't have a" standard " tip, but adjust to the service rendered. If I tip anyone, it is always the bar staff. The concierge only if he or she got our boarding passes for us or was helpful in some way beyond just greeting at the door.

Manuel August 20th, 2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellosno (Post 1311047)
I don't have a" standard " tip, but adjust to the service rendered. If I tip anyone, it is always the bar staff. The concierge only if he or she got our boarding passes for us or was helpful in some way beyond just greeting at the door.

That is exactly what I have done. I did tip the concierge on the Oasis on my last cruise because he went above and beyond what he had to do.

TM

Dave Beers August 20th, 2010 09:10 PM

I guess I look like a cheapskate here, but I don't tip for perks I am being given by the cruise line for my loyalty. I'll go to the Diamond lounge and have a drink and perhaps a snack and then I leave. I've never felt I needed to tip. To me it is no different than going to the Captain's welcome aboard party or something similar. Do people tip at those? I don't think so.

I do give fairly lavish cash tips to my favorite bartenders and waiters at the bars.

thecruisequeen August 20th, 2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellosno (Post 1311047)

Ditto!!! :D

Robbie H August 20th, 2010 10:21 PM

Part of the problem is that the Concierge was a salaried employee when the program started. I doubt that we are supposed to know this but I was told this has changed to "gratuities only." I rarely even get a drink in the lounge but I love having it there to "meet & mingle" during the day. But to the point, I do tip most of them pretty generously since I really appreciate what they do.

yellosno August 20th, 2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beers (Post 1311056)
I guess I look like a cheapskate here, but I don't tip for perks I am being given by the cruise line for my loyalty. I'll go to the Diamond lounge and have a drink and perhaps a snack and then I leave. I've never felt I needed to tip. To me it is no different than going to the Captain's welcome aboard party or something similar. Do people tip at those? I don't think so.

I do give fairly lavish cash tips to my favorite bartenders and waiters at the bars.

I understand what you are saying and agree. I usually sit at the bar and get to know the servers and tip at the end of the cruise.

DJLDRUMS August 21st, 2010 12:16 AM

Tipping in the Diamond & Diamond + lounge.

Ok... I've read all of the posts so far I posted the questions...BUT the question IS what do you tip them? Let's hear a dollar amount. A dollar per drink? Or?

felix_the_cat August 21st, 2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJLDRUMS (Post 1311117)
Ok... I've read all of the posts so far I posted the questions...BUT the question IS what do you tip them? Let's hear a dollar amount. A dollar per drink? Or?

There is no $$ amount. It depends on the service. Does it matter?

felix_the_cat August 21st, 2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie H (Post 1311086)
Part of the problem is that the Concierge was a salaried employee when the program started. I doubt that we are supposed to know this but I was told this has changed to "gratuities only." I rarely even get a drink in the lounge but I love having it there to "meet & mingle" during the day. But to the point, I do tip most of them pretty generously since I really appreciate what they do.

I had been told they had their wages cut back a couple of year ago (told to me by a concierge who chose to leave at that time) but they are certainly not grats only just less base pay. Most of the good ones left at that point for better paying positions.

I also don't think they get a whole lot of gratuities as I have yet to see anyone hand them an envelope and a lot of people who say they give them $50/100 are basically blowing a lot of hot air. I don't see see more than one or two doing that on a cruise and I'm even doubtful of that.