Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
First Mate

Default Eurocard / euromastercard?

Has anyone ever heard of Eurocard? Or Euro-Mastercard? I was trying to decide if I should bring Euro's with me or get them over there (I'm going to England and Spain and Portugal / Canary Islands).

If anyone has any tips or info on this - I would love to hear from you. This will be my first time in Europe.

Thanks.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Admiral

All major cards are accepted widely, Amex less so (they charge too much I believe) UK have our own currency, GB£, the rest use Euros I think. US$ are not a good idea..too complicated for us simple folk.
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Captain

The Euro/Mastercard is still something of an anomoly,

If you are referring to the pre-paid card, then the theory is great as you top up the card as & when you want to, and as it is a chip & PIN based card, you are less likely to lose all your money than if you were carrying cash - if it is lost/stolen you can have it cancelled & get a replacement sent to you. Even if someone clones the card, they can only spend the money that you have put onto it, so cannot run up any hefty bills.

The drawbacks are that you may incur charges by the card issuer and ATM system. Purchases in shops should be charge free.
The other real draw back is that Mastercard isn't as widely accepted as it used to be, hotels, restaurants & major services should be fine, but smaller shops and taxis companies may not be so keen.

Check with the issuer on any charges, along with how widely it is accepted in the countries you are visiting.
If you use a Euro based card in the UK, you will incur exchange rate charges. So again check with the card issuer on what these are likely to be.

So, is it worth it? imho "yes" just as long as you check up on the potential draw backs.

Have a great vacation,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Admiral

The currency in Spain and Portugal is the Euro. US credit cards are accepted everywhere. If you want to get cash, use a ATM card. There are plenty of places where they are found.

You can get some Euros before you go, but at a lousy exchange rate.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If it's a pre-paid debit card then it's probably an OK idea. Visa is a better way to go but Mastercard is accepted at most major stores, hotels and restaurants. A pre-paid debit card will avoid the hassle of losing the card and having a large amount of charges and the hassle of getting new cards and disputing the charges.

An American Visa card will work anywhere in the world but some banks, such as Chase, will charge a 3% foreign exchange fee. Citibank does not charge the additional 3%.

For currency I recommend just hitting the ATM at the airport. Withdraw the walking around money you will need and go from there. You will get the current exchange rate. Some banks also charge for this. Wells Fargo PMA accounts do not have a foreign ATM fee. You will still have to pay any ATM fees that the ATM vendor adds.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM
First Mate

Thanks everyone
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Just out of interest...P&O UK have currency exchange onboard & you can draw currency without the card company charging for a cash advance, the exchange rates are reasonable.