Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Question Cabin assignments not until day of cruise

I have just booked my very first cruise (so excited!!!) but I didn't realise that the cabin wouldn't be assigned to me until the day of the cruise. I am worried that because of this we will be given a 'leftover, unwanted' cabin which might make the difference between enjoying our cruise or not! We have booked a guaranteed balcony cabin but still have reservations. I have been in contact with the agent who can offer us an assigned cabin for an extra charge. Funnily enough, the cabin number she quoted can't be seen on the Navigator of the Seas deck plan. Should I be worried? Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:25 AM
Captain

When you book a guaranteed cabin in any category,you need to check the ships deck plans and make sure that you can live with ANY cabin in that Cat. If you have any doubts, then it's wise to fork over the extra $$ and select the cabin you want. You might end up with a wonderful cabin but might also get one with an obstructed view or be under the disco. It's a crap shoot. Are you in the U.K? Not sure how the booking process works there but here in North America, (on my line of choice, which isn't RCCL) a guaranteed balcony price is the same as the lowest balcony cat. so you can select your cabin for the same price as a guarantee.
Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will all be good-have a great cruise! You'll be hooked
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Guarantees are assigned by the cruiseline. They could be assigned as soon as you book right up until the day of sailing. Normally, they are assigned earlier. Quite often if you don't like the location you can ask to be placed back in the pool and try again. They won't always do that. It depends on the number of cabins sold and required.

Have you signed into your account on RCCL to see if you have been assigned a cabin yet?

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Most cruise lines including RCCL usually assign cabins about 8 to 4 weeks before the cruise.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

You will eventually receive a cabin assignment well before sailing. Only rarely is it not. Also as a guarantee you actually have a better chance for an upgrade. It will be OK!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:34 PM
Captain

I love guarantees and RCL has been very generous. First one inside gty, got the aft of the bottom deck, oh well, more walking same cabin as any regular inside, just with a little extra vibration

2nd time, very last minute, seems a lot of us got bottom deck OVs on voyager, where the bottom deck does not go thru, but having a OV and paying inside gty price awesome.

3rd time got a PR, which we really really wanted to try.

All 3 were inside gtys. sweet I say. Its like christmas waiting and hoping.
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You didn't say when the cruise is??? Usually, you will be assigned a cabin soon after booking. You'll need to go on the Royal Caribbean web-site and put in your res. #, add all your information, etc. Once a cabin is assigned, it will show it there....You should be fine, you will get at least a balcony cabin. Sometimes the upgrade fairy works when booking a guarantee catagory, so keep your fingers crossed.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you everyone for your replies, they were encouraging. I'm no gambler so I might pay the extra to get the cabin I want rather than spoil the cruise in a disappointing cabin assingnment!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Whoops I mean assignment!
Old July 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We recently booked and paid for our first cruise. We requested guaranteed balcony and got a room assignment shortly afterward. It seems like a very good location on deck 6 of the Navigator
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Familiar Face

I just booked a cruise on Freedom of the Seas for May 2012. I looked at the deck plan online and requested a specific room and got it. This will be my fifth cruise and, on every cruise, I chose the cabin at the time of booking.

The only drawback is that you are not eligible for an upgrade if one is available. I'm not a gambler, so I have ALWAYS booked a specific room.

P.S. - I have never paid extra to get a guaranteed room.

Last edited by iuki; July 8th, 2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: To add P.S. statement.
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Admiral

I've only had one upgrade that was a better cabin .Therefefore I too prefer booking a guaranteed cabin.
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Have never paid anything extra or less for a gty cabin in a given category.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Generally guarantees are less than picking a cabin.

Picking a cabin by number does not eliminate the chance of getting an upgrade unless you have told them you don't want an upgrade.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old July 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
Generally guarantees are less than picking a cabin.

Picking a cabin by number does not eliminate the chance of getting an upgrade unless you have told them you don't want an upgrade.
However it does make your chances of being upgraded MUCH lower. Specific cabins are rarely upgraded.

Something relatively new for people with specific cabins booked is the "Upsell". I know NCL and Carnival do this quite often. They will call you with a "deal" to upgrade to a higher category for a price. Often these are decent rates and nice upgrades. Sometimes they aren't any better than the current pricing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
However it does make your chances of being upgraded MUCH lower. Specific cabins are rarely upgraded.

Something relatively new for people with specific cabins booked is the "Upsell". I know NCL and Carnival do this quite often. They will call you with a "deal" to upgrade to a higher category for a price. Often these are decent rates and nice upgrades. Sometimes they aren't any better than the current pricing.

Take care,
Mike
True for those companies. And Princess is very good at upgrading from a guarantee however they usually only upgrade from same to same just better location.

RCL and Celebrity do not call to upsell. They will upgrade at their cost - not that it happens a whole lot. It does seem to happen more on the Monsters of the Sea though.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub