Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Familiar Face

Default New to RCCL, advice anyone?

My husband and I have done a number of cruises but none on RCCL. We leave Jan 8th on the Navigator and would like to know if there are any tips/highlights on the ship we shouldn't miss. We would also like input on what is a highlight in St. Maarten as we have never visited that port. I'd also like to know what amenities the staterooms offer...blowdryers, makeup mirrors, etc. Any input would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Jason Leppert

The Navigator is a fun ship. I've always enjoyed hitting up Johnny Rockets onboard. It's great to get the diner experience with an ocean view on the top deck. Also, Royal Caribbean is known for their outdoor rock climbing walls. The staterooms do offer blowdryers, but I don't recall any specific makeup mirrors. Enjoy your cruise!
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:36 AM
Captain

Talking New to RCCL

Navigator OTS also has an ice skating rink. If you want to skate, you are required to wear long pants. The ice show is very good.

St. Maarten.......well, there's a couple of things. There's Orient Beach, part of which is clothing optional.:eek: The other is Sunset Beach, which is by the airport. The airport has a relatively short runway, so the planes come in over the ocean, barely clear the fence, and drop down onto the end of the runway. It's awesome! If you want to see some video, go to YouTube and search for "St. Maarten Airport", or something similar. We'll be back in St. Maarten in a few weeks, and plan to go back to watch the landings. It's especially "cool" when a 747 lands.
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:13 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the advice. Seems I read somewhere you had to pick up tickets for the ice show. Is it very limited seating and if so where and how early can you get the tickets?
We went to a beach at St. Bart's that was at the end of the runway and it was cool to watch. Sunset Beach sounds like it will be on our agenda!
I notice you are going on several RCCL cruises this year. Do they have better benefits for repeat cruisers, or do you just really enjoy that line? We have done Holland, Norwegian and Carnival each several times and Princess once. When do start getting a reward for repeat cruising and what might you expect?
Enjoy your upcoming trips!
Old December 31st, 2011, 05:22 PM
Captain

Red face We're Royal Caribbean Loyals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagal View Post
Thanks for the advice. Seems I read somewhere you had to pick up tickets for the ice show. Is it very limited seating and if so where and how early can you get the tickets?
Tickets are free, but you can get them in advance. Check your daily Compass (ship newspaper) as to when and where you can get your tickets. There's no assigned seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskagal View Post
I notice you are going on several RCCL cruises this year. Do they have better benefits for repeat cruisers, or do you just really enjoy that line? We have done Holland, Norwegian and Carnival each several times and Princess once. When do start getting a reward for repeat cruising and what might you expect?
Enjoy your upcoming trips!
There are different benefits for different levels of cruisers. If you go to the Royal Caribbean website and look at the Crown and Anchor section, you will get a list of all the benefits of the different levels.

As Diamond Plus members, we enjoy:

* Access to the Concierge Lounge for Continental Breakfast and evening cocktails and snacks.

* A welcome gift in our cabin, plus a special gift of our choice.

* Discounts on balcony cabins ($150 to $350, depending on the length of the cruise).

* On board credits if booking a future cruise while on the ship (dollar amount depends on length of cruise).

* Enhanced coupon book. (One of the things we like is a "two for one" at Chops or Portofino on the first night of the cruise). This saves us $25 if we go to Chops - which we normally do.

* We supposedly get priority boarding, but the lines at "normal" check in seem to be shorter.......if we booked the Royal Suite, we would probably get some extra attention.

Before you cruise, go to the Crown & Anchor section of the RCI website and enroll in the Crown and Anchor Society. You need to start accumulating your cruise points right away.

Any other questions, please post.

P. S. Yes, we really enjoy Royal Caribbean - especially the Radiance class ships.

Last edited by Pootersdad; December 31st, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old January 1st, 2012, 08:22 AM
Captain

You can make all of your entertainment reservations online these days. I just booked a Freedom of the Seas for February 2012 and that same day, make them all. Go to their website for any/all information.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14
Freedom OTS-10/14

Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15
Old January 1st, 2012, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I was actually sorry I didn't pre-book more shows. There were a few that we had to stand in the stand-by line, and we were lucky to get in, but you have to wait until right before the show and anyone with tickets that didn't show, they would give the stand-by people those seats. The shows on Allure of the Seas were amazing, you certainly don't want to miss any.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 5th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Leppert View Post
The Navigator is a fun ship. I've always enjoyed hitting up Johnny Rockets onboard. It's great to get the diner experience with an ocean view on the top deck. Also, Royal Caribbean is known for their outdoor rock climbing walls. The staterooms do offer blowdryers, but I don't recall any specific makeup mirrors. Enjoy your cruise!
Thanks for the feedback! I was wondering one more question...is there any wait staff entertainment any night in the main dining room? I would hate to miss any of the crew entertainment as we always really enjoy that. Also, typically when are you able to get into your room? We fly all night to get there from Alaska and it is always nice to freshen up. Thanks again!
Old January 5th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Admiral

Yes, there are some evenings when the staff in the dinning room entertain you...That is always fun. Usually, you can access your cabin the first day around 1:00, but getting your luggage is a bit longer. You can always carry some "fresh" clothes in your carry-on if you have the space for it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Familiar Face

Do you know if it is always specific nights? We don't necessarily want to eat in the dining room every night. Thanks!
Old January 5th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfguyxxx1 View Post
You can make all of your entertainment reservations online these days. I just booked a Freedom of the Seas for February 2012 and that same day, make them all. Go to their website for any/all information.
How far in advance would you suggest doing this, and how?
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Be sure to go to the cruiseline web-site and enter all your information, once you have your booking number...Then you will be able to book excursions and make your reservations.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Familiar Face

Can you do the same for shows? I'm already checking out excursions. Do they post shows online and if so, how early?
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Admiral

At least on Oasis and Allure, you can pre-book shows as well. In fact, it is a good idea, I did two, but I should of done them all. Once I was onboard the shows were full and I had to wait for the stand-by seats...

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Jason Leppert

One of the specific evenings where the dining room staff entertain is the Italian night. You could ask which nights they will entertain onboard too.
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Familiar Face

Just don't wait too long. They shut it off at four days prior to the cruise.