Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RCI will not be mailing luggage tags

As of today, RCI will not be mailing luggage tags anylonger. Really no problem for me to print them, just letting everyone know.

Royal Caribbean stops issuing luggage tags | Royal Caribbean Blog

O F C'er
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Yes, I can print my own, but I will miss getting the nice ones in the mail.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Admiral

When I was on HAL last month I had to print my own tags and they were fine.
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Celebrity and Royal used to send out really nice ones that were very easy to use.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 9th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am sure it is a cost savings issue. Last year, I had to ask to have them sent in the mail after booking.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I am sure it is a cost savings issue. Last year, I had to ask to have them sent in the mail after booking.
Donna,
That practice is what has ended.

A little hint for pax not comfortable using a paper luggage tag printed from their printer. Cover the tag w/wide clear packing tape.

O F C'er
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I thought that had ended a couple of years ago. I do miss receiving the luggage tags but I haven't received them in a number of years. I also miss the documents that came in the nice travel wallet but those days are long gone.

The packing tape suggestion is a good one. I do that and just use a "hole punch" and then put them on my luggage with a small cable tie. Works great.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default RCCL luggage tags

I think it is a big mistake by Royal not sending the tags. You could do as suggested here and make a copy and put it in packing tape and tape on at the port but the sticky ones they gave you were great and I used to use 3 at a time in case they pulled one off. I have tried to stick them onto the side of the suitcase but the nylon material on there is hard to stick anything. They should just send out generic ones and we can fill them out...just a thought. I have contacted RCCL and advised of my displeasure with this latest penny pinching of theirs. I am a seasoned cruiser and Diamond on RCCL.
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh2oman View Post
I think it is a big mistake by Royal not sending the tags. You could do as suggested here and make a copy and put it in packing tape and tape on at the port but the sticky ones they gave you were great and I used to use 3 at a time in case they pulled one off. I have tried to stick them onto the side of the suitcase but the nylon material on there is hard to stick anything. They should just send out generic ones and we can fill them out...just a thought. I have contacted RCCL and advised of my displeasure with this latest penny pinching of theirs. I am a seasoned cruiser and Diamond on RCCL.
You really shouldn't stick the luggage tags on the suitcase itself. You wrap them around the handle and then adhere them by touching "sticky side to sticky side." Just like an airline luggage tag.

With the self printed tags I use a cable tie through the luggage tag and then around the handle.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default luggage tags

I always attached the tags to my suitcase handles and will do as you advise to encase the paper ones in a heavy plastic and use ties to attach to the suitcase handle... thx for advise but I still liked the old tags... also they used to send really nice docs awhile back with the tags but that is no longer the case.
Old August 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Unhappy

I don't like the idea of having to perform arts and crafts in line after flying, etc. Let's hope they don't start charging for each piece of luggage like the airlines do!
Old August 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Admiral

I really liked the old way, getting excited about getting "THE ENVELOPE", but it's sooo cost cutting for a cruiseline. The cost of mailings must be astronomical to thousands of people. And tracking late bookers etc.
Old August 10th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default not a hard rule yet

The link I posted a few days ago regarding not being able to order luggage tags as of 8/8/12, is not a hard rule yet.

I will be on the Liberty OTS in October; one of the pax spoke with a RCL representative and was told we will be getting luggage tags for the Liberty. They are starting to roll it out on all the ships, but Liberty will still be using luggage tags as in the past.

So maybe enjoy the tags for a little while longer.

O F C'er
Old August 10th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Captain

I am actually in favor of this. Of all the places to cut costs this has to be one of the better ones. It is a minor hassle to print out the tags and it saves the cruise lines lots of bucks.

I run a camp and we have done this for registrations. We used to send all of our campers a packet of 8 documents that are required to be filled out to come to camp (thank the government for all of this paperwork!). We now just email the documents to them, unless of course they are in a situation were they can not print them out.

This saves us a HUGE amount of time and money!
Old August 10th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Apparently Pinnacle Club and suite guests will continue to receive the tags.
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Captain

I'm not suprised, but if anything can keep cruise prices down, I'm all for it. An era gone by..................
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14

Legend of the Seas; 04/16/2014; Booked
Old August 14th, 2012, 03:56 PM
First Mate

They used to mail them out automatically but now you have to request them and they're not available for request until your documents are ready. I think because they give you the option to print your luggage tags while you're completing your documentation that most people will simply print them because like I said, there's no way for you to request them until about 60 days out.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Admiral

That is what I did last year on Allure of the Seas, had to request and then they mailed them. So, they will not be offering that option now either?

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
That is what I did last year on Allure of the Seas, had to request and then they mailed them. So, they will not be offering that option now either?
Donna,
That is what I understand. It was suppose to starting on 8/8/12, but may be available on some of the ships for a while longer.

O F C'er
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Captain

Even though I usually find things out on "the boards" first, RCI has definitley confirmed that the pre-printed luggage tags are only going out to suite &/or Pinnacle guests.

Last edited by Robbie H; August 15th, 2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: grammar
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We've been told that Grand Suites and upward will get them - I have no problem printing them either - but nicer to get them in the mail.
We are just waiting for our documents to be issued and see if we can in fact order them still.
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Hi Ibage,
Please, let us know if they do give you that option when you get your docs...

Thanks

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Gosh I thought that ended a while back too...we had to print out our last RCCL tags...it was fine. We just went to Kinko's and had them laminated and punched a hole tied a loop into it...and we were off. No problem...BUT sure miss the the mailed ones.
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM
First Mate

Cool Luggage tags

How many days before a cruise should you be able to print out your luggage tags. I am 90 days out at this time.
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 9/21/14
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:36 AM
Familiar Face

We have yet to put tags on out luggage prior to arriving at the ship. It takes about five seconds for the porters to slap a luggage tag on your suitcase. Seems simpler that way.

Anyone run into a situation where they weren't able to get tags at the port?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Admiral

I like the ones that come with your docs in the mail. They are more sturdy and durable. If I have to now print them out then I will. But I like the old ones better.
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Familiar Face

Default DIY Tags

You can buy full sheet shipping labels at office supply store (8.5x11) and print your own tags. They should be just like RCCL's tags, stickiness included!
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Familiar Face

Default luggage tags

When i did my pre-cruise information i clicked on that i needed luggage tags, and three days later i got them. this was just few days ago.
rccl explorer 2007
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Quincy,
That is actually what I did a few months ago for my Allure cruise...Please let us know when you get them in the mail, OK?

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Here's the official announcement from RCCL:

August 6, 2012

Bag Tag Mailer Updates:
Please be aware that for the Royal Caribbean International brand, effective for all guest documents issued on, or after, August 8, 2012, we will be eliminating the ability to order a Bag Tag Mailer for all guests/bookings with the exception of Crown & Anchor Pinnacle members and Suite guests (Grand Suites and above). For all other Royal Caribbean International bookings, bag tags will now be included as a page within the eDoc ticket booklets, which can then be printed and attached by the guest. At this time, while we will still allow a bag tag mailing address to be entered within the CruiseMatch booking engine, please be aware that after August 8, 2012 no mailers will be sent to any addresses that are provided here for Royal Caribbean International bookings. At this time, these changes do not impact guests/bookings on either the Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Club Cruises brands.

I really liked the old way they did it where they provided us with blank luggage tags made from the same type of material the airlines use for theirs. Then we could print out the tags and mail them to our clients. Worked great.

Now, as was mentioned, we use packing tape and then attach the double sided tape on the end. When we get to the port, we just remove the backing on the tape and attach them to our luggage handle.

Often times, we just wait until we get to the port and ask for two blank tags, write our cabin number on them, and attach those to our luggage. We only put the cabin number on them because we already have tags with our names attached, so it doesn't take but 30 seconds to attach the ones they provide at the pier.

And by the way, here's some good advice. When traveling, NEVER put anything on your regular luggage tags other than your name, preferably just your first initial and last name. Thieves are clever and all they need is your phone number to find your address. It's very easy to remember a phone number and they know you're going away, so it's just asking for problems. If your luggage becomes lost, the airline just needs your name to find you. When you do your pre-flight check-in, you provide them your phone number. I would also suggest putting your itinerary and other information inside the bag, but not on the outside. If you have to put a phone number, use a cell phone number or a business number and not a home phone number. Bottom line is you don't want to have too much information displayed for others to see.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!