Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Seeking Cruise Companion
Register Forgot Password?

Seeking Cruise Companion For people looking for share cruise expenses as roommates. Sexual or suggestives posts will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska or Caribbean?

Alaska looks good.... just found a few cruises that go round trip from seattle or vanc & hit the hubbard glacier, or sawyer glacier, but not glacier bay... you have to do 2 one ways between vancouver & anchorage (seward) for GB that cost about $500 each with tax (+ tips. )
Caribbean on the other hand has snorkelling & other island pursuits... Southern Carib cruises leaving from San Juan, PR hit 6 islands in a week!....St. Thomas Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts & back to san juan.
Barbados is almost as cheap to fly into & also has cheap round trip cruises ($300-500). Santo Domingo has perhaps the cheapest cruises but travels a bit farther to the islands.

I am hoping to fly into one of the above locations & do perhaps 2 cruises in July or August to make the most of my vacation time, with a few days of downtime in between to explore whatever island is the home base. I used to do extremely strenuous adventures like hiking the length of mountain chains in the states, europe, & australia. I enjoyed hitting the Great Barrier Reef, took the sailboat out of Cairns to it; wish I would have gone again on one of the other boats that has different reef parking.
I'm 48 & single; spent 5 years in Navy so familiar with ships & the Caribbean (seen St. Thomas & San Juan & GTMO, but not the torture). Just bought a lightweight set of split fins/snorkel set from Target. I use a motorscooter in Houston so will likely rent one to see some islands (as I wisht I woulda done in Cairns). I rented a bicycle on Cozumel, which broke down, but I saw the ruins & made it back anyway. What I would really rather do is take a lonely planet guide & island hop but it seems like it would be extremely expensive if it's even possible. I will buy you a snorkel/fins set if anyone wants to do the caribbean my way; otherwise, Alaska would be nice, especially the one ways (Vanco-Ancho) with some time to see Denali & Anchorage in between. sincerely, David of Houston
PS. Spent alot of time sharing hostels, mountain huts, motels & tents with women & never hit on em during the treks; sometimes regret always being the gentleman, but can't change my stripes/spots. Dudes also can apply if you like the itinerary.... will probly go for the inside cabin; will spend most waking hours exploring the ship anyway, seeing the shows, extremely light gambling (nickel slots etc...) & extremely lite drinking (only have 1-2 drinks/day.... 3 special occasions ). If don't go cruising, will probly kayak down some river stateside. sincerely, gingerbreadman (roadgoliath@yahoo.com)
Sponsored Links