Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2001, 10:47 PM
scamp

Default Tanzanites in Western Caribbean?

Hi we'll be sailing on the Inspiration next week. Stopping in Jamaica, Cayman and Cozumel...any deals there on Tanzanite? Thanks! Pam
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Robocop

Default Re: Tanzanites in Western Caribbean?

Cozumel is probably your best bet scamp for that item.
Jim
Old April 5th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Vicki
Default Re: Tanzanites in Western Caribbean?

Jamaica has better prices, at least the stores in Montego Bay have better deals than the stores in Cozumel. Tanzanite is not cheap any more but you can still find some bargains. Just be aware of the quality of the stone. The darker the color of the stone, the more it will cost.scamp wrote:
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:11 AM
Passenger

Tanzanite is mined in Tanzania by 8-14 year old children. Working in terrible conditions, often at 300feet underground. Some get paid as little as a meal for a days work, if they fail to find any of the stones they recieve nothing.
Should this be allowed just to satisfy an affluent womens vanity ? I think not!
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Tanzanite is also widely available as a fake. Be really careful about what you buy. Of course, I would say that about a lot of things, but especially gem stones. Yes, it is fun to buy stuff on vacation, but if you assume that you are getting a fabulous deal and are not extremely knowledgable about gems, don't count on getting the real deal. Old saying "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is". Or, if the price is so low that you simply won't care if you find out that it is fake, then go for it.
Marty
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:49 AM
Beginner

Tanzanites....one of my favorites and reminds me of my last cruise to the Bahamas and the infamous Diamonds Intl store. I promised myself I would not go in but the tanzanites were right by the door and they were screaming my name. There were cases and cases of rings and it was dizzing but one ring jumped at me. I had to have it. When I tried it on, it felt like it was made for me. I was in awe. Then the price.....4K. I was like, oh no no no no no. Took it off, was sad and started to leave....then it started...well, how much do you want to pay for it. It was unreal. I really didnt think they did that at those types of stores. I knew even at 1/4 of the price I could not afford it. I seriously had no idea who expensive Tanzanites were. The stone was over 1 1/2 carats and was quite dark with a lot of diamonds. Can you believe I got down to under 1K? But, to be honest, I didnt have the money. I closed the store down just sitting there staring at it and thinking about it. I even dreamed about it. I did! Really. The next day when the store opened, I was there buying it. I know I overpaid but can you imagine the poor woman or guy buying ot for his lady at the ticket price? The saleslady hated me, I know it, for dropping so low but then again, they could have said no. I am sure she thought when i walked out I wasted her time but now i think about the ring and see my brother and dad sitting outside of the bench at Diamonds Intl and just chuckle. It was such an experience. I will never forget it.

PS I was just in Tanzania and checked out the Tanzanites there. There were so overpriced that it was absolutely ridiculous...who would hve thought that at DI the prices of stones set in rings would be better then in the country where they are mined!!!!!
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:36 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Next door to the Diamonds International is the Tanzanite Intl. - probably
the same parent company as most times the store is one in the same with
just two different entrances. I have bought some Tanzanite earrings
there but that was about 3 years ago - I have no idea what the prices are
now in the islands. Where I live - there is not much to pick from so the
selection in the islands is Amazing - just try to learn as much as you can
beforehand. If you have any TV shopping networks (HSN,QVC) you may
want to see what they offer and their prices to get an idea once you are
in the islands. Personally, I like the lighter shade of Tanzanite (medium
violet) rather than the very deep color. JMO (I also believe the stores have their own "charge cards" so that would be easier on the pocket.