CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shopping! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/)
-   -   purchasing alcohol on shore (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/297715-purchasing-alcohol-shore.html)

newbiecruiser October 28th, 2003 04:05 PM

purchasing alcohol on shore

I know that you are not allowed to bring alcohol with you when you first board the ship, but what about alcohol that you purchase in Mexico while shopping? Are you allowed to bring that onto the ship, or will it be confiscated?

cap'nkruzer October 29th, 2003 08:43 AM

Re: purchasing alcohol on shore

On Princess it was taken and held.. NCL and Celebrity let it thru.. I think it just depends on the inspectors and how much you have. My personal observations, only.
SSaFWs..ED

newbiecruiser October 29th, 2003 03:33 PM

I guess that is OK, as long as I get it back at the end of the cruise. As soon as I mentioned I was going to Mexico, friends have given me lists of alcohol purchases to make for them while I'm there! :~)

sls October 29th, 2003 07:32 PM

you're still going to have to go through customs on the way back into the U.S. so make sure you don't go over your limit of how much alcohol you can bring in tax free.

sls

belgique November 14th, 2003 01:20 AM

Agree with sls. I just returned from the Caribbean, Western and Eastern, and bought some liquor in Cozumel and St. Thomas. Holland America just ran my bags through the security check and I was on my way to my cabin. No questions, no delivery later, just claimed it on my customs form (whatever I didn't drink onboard!)

It's possible that if you buy a lot of bottles, they will hold it til the end of the cruise, but I usually buy 2 or 3 at a port, drink some onboard, put what's left in plastic Diet Coke bottles and go about my business. I do not ever try to fool the customs people - they know all the ropes!

Bon Voyage!

Melanie November 18th, 2003 04:31 AM

When we got back on the ship in Puerto Vallarta they took our bottle of tequila that we purchased. When we got back on the ship in Cabo we walked on with two bottles and there was nobody there to take it. Our one bottle was delivered to our cabin on Sunday morning. We were told that we were only allowed one liter per person but nobody ever checked. On the customs form I listed alcohol - $101.00 but again, nobody questioned how many bottles that was. Even so, I had my mother carry one just in case. This was out first time purchasing alcohol in Mexico so I didn't want to take any chances.

Melanie

Mike Newburger January 20th, 2004 02:47 PM

aaarg, matey!!! Rum ahoy!!!

HI Gang,

Would appreciate any info. on local rums from Puerto Rico (NOT Bicardi, but small, local made non-advertized label). We have a few hours in San Juan on the Triumph in March, and would appreciate any location of stores, etc. in old San Juan, as well as specific brands of dark rum.
Many thanks for your suggestions

All grogged up!

KL March 16th, 2004 10:48 PM

I have not have any taken from me. i even carried a full case of Kalua on my shouder to my room in Mazatlan.

jamiegunter March 19th, 2004 10:54 AM

It depends on the cruise line, on Carnival they have a table set up. You are suppose to stop and give it to them. Disney didnt take it. Carnival delivers is to your state room the last night.

ydoodle March 21st, 2004 02:30 PM

On past cruises 5 or 10 yeas ago, we would buy a case of liquor in St. Thomas and bring take it on board an airplane ....as carry-on luggage. Now because of the restrictions, of one carry on and one small purse or laptop, I would imagine it wouldn't be possible to do this now. Can a case be checked.....? I also remember reading about some airlines that wouldn't allow anthing over 75 proof as carry on? Anyone hear anything about this?

Nancy