CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shopping! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/)
-   -   Pearl in a box?? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/355217-pearl-box.html)

ferrangi August 23rd, 2008 03:58 PM

Pearl in a box??

Has anyone heard of a gift box where you buy a pearl kit and you open your own oyster to reveil your pearl?

In San Francisco and Las Vegas... You pay like $20 and they open the oyster right in front of you, so you never know what color it will be or maybe you might get two in one. Anyway, I love this concept and I heard that there is a shop on some of the ships where you can buy it. It's like a kit... it comes with the tools to open the oyster etc....

Has anyone ever heard of this? I will be on the Pride, any chance they will have it on there? :wink:

Novice Senior August 23rd, 2008 07:38 PM

$25 on sale on HAL in January

We bought four of these as gifts for granddaughters on HAL last winter and they were probably one of the best gifts we've ever picked up -- ages 3 - 9. But the girls got to do the opening at home -- they were given a little implement for this and the kit included a silver locket thing and chain.

They were very popular and we managed to pick up the last few. $25 was the sale price as I recall.

I'm not sure I'd buy for an adult but for kids they're great.

ferrangi August 24th, 2008 01:36 AM

Re: $25 on sale on HAL in January

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novice Senior
We bought four of these as gifts for granddaughters on HAL last winter and they were probably one of the best gifts we've ever picked up -- ages 3 - 9. But the girls got to do the opening at home -- they were given a little implement for this and the kit included a silver locket thing and chain.

They were very popular and we managed to pick up the last few. $25 was the sale price as I recall.

I'm not sure I'd buy for an adult but for kids they're great.

Well, I'm not much of a jewlry person, because I sort of have an issue of what's real and what's not... One time my sis had her wedding ring appraised and they offered her $50. She paid over $500. I just couldn't believe it. It's like once you buy something the value goes down... or it wasn't worth $500 in the first place... :evil:

Anyway, with the pearl experience, they open it righ in front of you, now that's real. At least for me it was. I loved it, and can't wait to do another. :wink:

colorcrazie August 24th, 2008 01:49 PM

Just FYI, ferrangi, jewelry can never be resold at anywhere near its true value. Jewelers buy from wholesalers and then do huge markups. It is not a reflection on whether the piece is real or not. Jewelry is worse than cars. Once its yours, its no longer worth what it cost. It is only worth the pleasure you get from it.
Marty

ferrangi August 24th, 2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Just FYI, ferrangi, jewelry can never be resold at anywhere near its true value. Jewelers buy from wholesalers and then do huge markups. It is not a reflection on whether the piece is real or not. Jewelry is worse than cars. Once its yours, its no longer worth what it cost. It is only worth the pleasure you get from it.
Marty

This is precisly why, I love the pearl experience.... it's just me... but it would kinda be like going panning for gold, mining for diamonds... :D

Trip August 25th, 2008 09:12 AM

http://www.jewelry-wish-pearl.com/

Maybe some of the larger stores might still sell this item, if not try the link above..

colorcrazie August 25th, 2008 01:46 PM

Believe it or not, I have done gold panning and not the touristy version either. Found a flugget...real term, meaning bigger than a flake, smaller than a nugget. I'll try almost anything once, or twice, or...Okay, when I ws younger I would.
LOL
Marty

NY Cruisin Mama September 9th, 2008 10:59 AM

8) Hi: I bought these on QVC last Christmas - had a choice of goldtone or silvertone - different shapes like a dove, heart or the standard "cage".
I believe they cost about $ 10 or $ 15 each, plus shipping. You probably
could find them in your larger dept. stores like Macy's, too. I know they
are less expensive than buying them in the islands. Fun to do for any age!