Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Familiar Face

Default Pharmacies in the Caribbean?

I hope this question is not too stupid. If you travel to Mexico you can buy many common drugs at their pharmacies that you need a prescription for in the states. Can you buy these medicines from pharmacies in the Caribbean? I take some meds that are kind of pricy and am wondering if I can buy them while I am there.
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Pharmacies in the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmc
I hope this question is not too stupid. If you travel to Mexico you can buy many common drugs at their pharmacies that you need a prescription for in the states. Can you buy these medicines from pharmacies in the Caribbean? I take some meds that are kind of pricey and am wondering if I can buy them while I am there.
It depends on the type of medication. Most Schedule 1 and 2 drugs are not allowed to be sold OTC. There are a number of antibiotics and non-narcotic, non-barbiturate drugs that can be obtained.

On my last cruise to Mexico, in November, I forgot my Xalatan (Glaucoma eye drops) and was able to obtain it for $20. That was less than my co-pay at home.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Familiar Face

Actually looking for Retin -A. Not sure of the class.

Should have added it is a cream for my face.
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Beginner

Not certain about Mexico but I think you can purchase prescriptions at pharmacies. Belize, however, is THE place for that!
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks straw. I know you can get it in Mexico but we are going to the Caribbean.
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Admiral

I think the point is which ports in the Caribbean? Different islands have different governments, so to help you out, we need to know where you are going.
Marty
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Familiar Face

Sorry. We will be doing the Crown Princess cruising to the Eastern Caribbean. St Thomas, St Maarten, Princess Cays,
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Admiral

I doubt that you will even have an opportunity to shop for pharmaceuticals of any kind. St. Thomas is US territory, Princess Cay is owned or leased by the cruise line, and St. Maarten is Dutch, if my memory is correct (not a dependable assumption). In any case, so far as I have ever seen, it is only Mexico and Belize, maybe Honduras who have this kind of option.
So, forget about rx's and take my prescription instead.....HAVE FUN!
Marty
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Marty. This is our first cruise and I am sure we will have a great time. I will worry about my Rx's later.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Admiral

That's the way to go. It's a vacation....better than any blood pressure med of any kind, just for example!

Marty