Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Passenger

Default Key West, what is there to do?

Hi, veteran of 6 cruises, never cruised to somewhere I could drive to! Is there anything for a family (with 2 teen girls) to do that doesn't involve lots of bars/drinking? While we're not party-poopers, being around a bunch of drunks isn't our idea of a good time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2002, 08:09 AM
aj

Default Re: Key West, what is there to do?

Keywest is definately not the same place I used to visit yearly as a kid in the 80's it has become very very commercialized. The bars are still there and I am sure they are still active during the night and still have transvestites(sp) and drunks but now there are wall to wall shops trying to be more family oriented I think. The same original stores are still there the perfume factory, key lime factory, fabric maker, etc. but I was just blown away by the changes there have been. If you arrive early as we did on RCCL there are many things to do snorkel, boating, aquarium (not what you typically expect-small), Museums(Mel Fisher-recovered treasures from sunken ships), Conch train (good for all around history of island-recommend), Hemmingways house (I recommend if you have never been), the beach ( man made but still a beach). I would say it would be one of the most safer ports for teens and still the most beautiful water in Florida I am partial I grew up in Florida. If you like seafood eat in KeyWest conchfritters, conch chowder, grouper are the best and don't forget the key lime pie. Suggestion if your family shops shop around first before you purchase anything the farther down Duval Street the less expensive. Example a friend wanted an alagator head one store closer to docks wanted $20 and up I bought it at some shell shop but bigger for $12, same with tee-shirts same shirts just different prices with the exception of Sloppy Joes, Jimmy Buffetts, etc... your going to pay and sometimes stand in line to buy from them. Key West has a tourist board too you may have time to request info or they may be on line. Look up Conch Republic too they will have info on line under that. Have a great time.
Old February 20th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

you must have the Key Lime Pie at the Blond Giraffe on Duval St. It is located right across the street from a stop on the Conch trolley. It is a little blue take-out stand with a few tables in front. You will enjoy the absolute BEST key lime pie ever- infact it was voted best key lime pie in the state of Florida- don't miss it!
Old March 29th, 2002, 11:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do the "Duval Crawl"