Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default BUCK ISLAND

Has anyone done this tour for snorkeling? It is offered in St Thomas from celebrity. Wondered whether there were a lot of fish or not.
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2002, 03:20 PM
MikeInPgh

Default Re: BUCK ISLAND

I took this tour on RCL several years ago and there were not lots of fish. It really depends on the time of year and the weather.

It is very deep there and what fish there are tend to be near the tug boat wreck on the bottom (about 45 feet below where you will be).

For fish life, I would go to Coki beach (Trunk Bay does not have much as far as fish anymore). People feed the fish at Coki so they are there year round.

If it is offered, the Captin Nautica Power Boat Excursion takes you to 2 snorkel site and the guys who run it know the best places. It is fast and windy and VERY bumpy, but loads of fun.
Old September 6th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: BUCK ISLAND

thanks. I was also interested in the wild thing that has the snorkeling tour with it, anyone know about that one?
Old September 6th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: BUCK ISLAND

I've done Buck island twice. There are two anchorages. One has a sandy bottom and access along the shore line to some old coral. Most of the time you will see nice fish and once in a while a sea turtle. The other anchorage is deeper and there is less to see accept there is an old ferry or tug boat wreck. Not much color or fish. I'd rate the snorkeling here as Ok. (this is NOT the Famous Buck Island preserve which is off St Croix).
Wild Thing is a huge over powered speed boat. It takes you on a high speed tour of the island and snorkeling (usually at the same place as the Buck Island tour).
If you are truly interested in snorkeling take a tour (or go on your own) over to St. John.
Almost any cove or Bay is a snorkelers paradise. The most popular and populated will be Trunk Bay.