Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2003, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Default Shore excursions, San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas

Anyone had experience with shore excursions in San Juan, Tortola, and St. Thomas ?(on Carnival Legend). Wondering what might be most interesting for middle-aged couple with teen? Thanks, Donna.

Old August 3rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Shore excursions, San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas

When we were in St Thomas in Feb this year we grabbed a taxi to red hook ferry which took us over to St John. We rented a jeep and toured the island ourselves. Was the best day of our cruise! I suggest if you have time to get over to St John...it's very bueatiful (has some very pretty beaches) and less populated then St Thomas.

Old August 4th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Shore excursions, San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas

Donna, you have lots to choose from. I wouldn't bother booking a ships excursion on St. Thomas - its soo easy to get around on your own. Our favorite thing to do is hop the water taxi over to St. John in the moring, hit the beaches - Trunk Bay is beautiful, can get a bit crowded later in the day when all the ships excursions start to arrive, they have a marked snorkel trail that is real easy swimming & snorkeling. We go to Cinnamon Bay beach on St. John its practically next door to Trunk Bay - less crowded. In the afternoon we like to do a little duty-free shopping either downtown or at Havensight Mall- both very good shopping. We like to end our day with a skytram ride up to the top of the island to take in the breathtaking view. If you want to stay on St. Thomas i would recommend Coki Beach/Coral World. Maegans Bay Beach is the famous one, but it gets way to crowded for me. SanJuan is a great walking-around island, just stroll around old SanJuan it is very pretty - you can take a walk out to the fort at El Morro? i think its called, very popular place - it overlooks the harbor and its very popular for kite flying, I would recommend taking a ships tour if you want to go to the rainforest. The ride up to the forest can be a bit "hairy" if you try to do it on your own. Some very nice beaches in SanJuan. Haven't been to Tortola, yet!
Old August 4th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Myles

This is not an excursion, but when in Old San Juan, you can take the Catano ferry from cruiseship dock #2 to Catano and back for 25 cents each way. Catano is where the Bacardi rum distillery is, but anyway, you can get some great pictures of Old San Juan from the ferry. Also I'm not really sure how current the warnings are, but I've seem several cautions about safety on the beaches after dark unless they are in very close proximity to a large hotel and are well lighted and patroled.
Old August 4th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Shore excursions, San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas

Thanks to all 3 of you for the great tips! donna

Old August 5th, 2003, 10:13 PM
SSinCT

Donna, my family just got off the Disney Magic on August 2 we had an amazing experience that we booked on our own with a day charter from St. Thomas to St. John. We booked with Captain Jim and sailed over over to Honeymoon Cove for snorkelling, swimming, etc. The boat is wonderful, he is laid back and charming and the food he serves is beautiful and delicious. It cost us US$450, which was well worth it since we had use of the 38 foot sailboat for the entire day (9a-3p). When you see the cost of some of the shore excursions and realize that this will be private, you will see how great a value this is. If you don't want it privately, he will be more than happy to get other passengers and charge you $100 per person. Jim's email is jester@islands.vi
Please tell him Sharon in Connecticut says hello! I celebrated my 40th birthday on his boat that day - it was better than our entire cruise week! Good luck!