Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Donna R

Default Dunn River Falls

We are leaving on 3/27/04 on Explorer of the Seas, any information about booking a tour to Dunn River would be most helpful. Thanks Donna
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Dunn River Falls

Hi,
There's always the option of booking through RCI Excursions which you can get to from their website. Here are two other sites that i know of also. I'm sure there are plenty more out there. Oh and I think Shoretrips.com has trips there too.
I can't recommend any one in particular because i tried any yet, i'm still deciding which one to book myself.
Good luck

http://www.barrettadventures.com/
http://www.a-zjamaicaplanners.com/

Voyager of the Seas
Old March 10th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Donna R

Gina,
Thanks for the web site info. I will give them a try .
Donna
Old March 10th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Admiral

You really don't need to book a tour to get to Dunns River Falls - grab taxi at the pier - make sure you take a taxi from inside the gates- the ones that are approved by the government- do not take "gypsy" taxis. If you want to take in more of the island i would suggest booking a tour with Peat Taylor go to his website for all the info.
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:18 AM
rileydogg

Remember, you don't have to take a guide up the falls. You can just climb by yourself. The guides just slow things down and you have 30 people holding hands.
Old March 11th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Passenger

Lisa,
You mentioned to use a government taxi. How do you know which ones they are? And are they availalbe for the ride back from Dunns River. Also, any clue as to the cost for the ride. We are a group of five so I assume we would need two taxis.
Please let me know, I would rather not book a tour there if I don't have to but I was a little concerned about getting around on our ow.
Any info you could provide would be helpful.
Thanks,
Gina

Voyager of the Seas
Old March 13th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Passenger

This info comes from the R.C. Ocho Rios shopping guide,

Taxis are unmetered and charge set rates. It is advisable to arrange fares before departing.Use taxis with red license plates only.

Dunn's River Falls $22.00 (round trip).

David
Old March 14th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Jennifer g

The cost for the taxi is it per person and can you get a taxi to get back to the ship. has any one done this???
Old March 15th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Dunn's River Falls was awesome! However, I'm really glad I didn't really know EXACTLY what we were in for before hand, as far as climbing went. We did see one woman fall about 30 feet down the waterfall. Remember, you are climbing a natural waterfall. I'm thankful that there were guides there, I think they were helpful. Our daughters were 9 and 11 at the time, and looking back, it was a little bit dangerous, more so, of them being possibly knocked down by older, less coordinated climbers. I would stay clear of those people. I'm really glad we did it, but I would use caution with children and anyone older than 55 or 60. It's not for the unathletic or uncoordinated. Living in the US, we expect that they wouldn't offer such things if they weren't safe, but you are talking about a foreign country here, and I think they don't look at these things with liability concerns. DO at your own risk.
Old March 15th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Passenger

Jennifer g,

It says $22 per cab. (round trip).
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Heather T

Definitely get a taxi from the pier. Make sure you arrange the price before you get in the cab though... you can barter with them too.

It was a great time. I would HIGHLY recommend "water shoes" or at least a pair of water proof sandals that have straps....the rocks are sometimes sharp and/or slippery.

Have a fun time!
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:29 PM
redyedfrg

we did not book dunns river through the cruise line, either. i checked my receipt for the van-ride to the falls, it read $11 last july, plus we gave the driver a small tip ($2-3 maybe?). that plus the cost of the falls pp comes out WAY cheaper than booking an excursion. we had fun climbing (an achievement for me, the quintissential non-athlete), but hated the rest of the island (didn't help that we climbed and shopped in a tropical rainstorm). honestly, i feel like it's worth it to do the falls and then go directly back to the ship. if i ever cruise and port in ohos rios again, i may try margaritaville out, otherwise, it'll be a nice quiet day near the pool for me (no fighting for deck chairs!).
have lots of fun, whatever you do!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:47 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Dunn River Falls

Hi Redyed,
You don't happen to remember the name of the van co. that you took you there, do you? I'm traveling in a group of five so a cab is rough. I think your suggestions sounds good to me. We will probably do the falls and then head back to ship.
Let me know if you remember.
Thanks,
Gina

Voyager of the Seas
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:30 AM
Sheik

We did the 4x4 Jeep safari and Dunns river falls in 1 tour and it was a great way to explore Jamaica AND the falls. It's a whole day excursion and definitely worth the money!