Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:27 AM
1stCruise24

Default Cruise Excursion or

My girlfriend and I are taking R.C. Serendade of the Seas in early Dec to the Southern Caribbean. We plan on spending most of our time relaxing at the beach and maybe a snorkel trip or sailing tour. The RC excursions list has beach trips but limits the time to only a few hours. Would I be better off just taking a taxi from the port and asking to be taken to a good beach in the area? My only fear is getting stuck there w/o a ride back in time. If anyone has any advice Id like to hear how you made out and if I should stick with the Cruise excursions.

Thanks,

These message boards have been a tremendous help with our planning by the way!
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Cruise Excursion or

Hi 1stcruise,
In some instances its better to take a ship excursion, depends on the island. What are all your ports?

Assuming you are stopping in St. Thomas, you can either get a cab to Meagans Bay, or take a cab to the Red Hook Ferry and take that over to St. Johns for some really beautiful beach with some good snorkeling. If you aren't into snorkeling, then Meagans Bay would be just fine, beautiful beach and plenty of cabs to take you back to the pier.

I'm sure there are more beaches you can take a cab to and you can have the same cab come back at a specific time if you wish.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 25th, 2004, 12:44 PM
1stCruise24

Default Re: Re: Cruise Excursion or

Hi Donna,

The ship leaves San Juan and stops at St Thomas, St John, St Martin, St Lucia and Barbados. I read the CruiseMates article, Independent Shore Tours which answered some of my questions. We know someone who lives in St. Lucia who is going to show us around but if you could suggest one "must see" or "must do" for the other Islands what would you recommend?

Seth
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Cruise Excursion or

Hi First,
You can get a cab in St. Maarten and go over to Orient Beach, lots of water activities, not really any good snorkeling though. Last trip there we did a ship excursion called the "Rhino boats" and had a gas on that.

In Barbados we took a cab to Harrisons Caves and did that tour and then ended up at the Boatyard beach, again, more water activities, we rented a jet ski for awhile and had fun on that, then walked back to the ship.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:56 PM
starfighter

If you like to sail as well as go to the beach, there are a couple of great excursions that can't be beat. On St. Maarten, there is the Golden Eagle Catamaran that goes to a super sandy beach in a cove across the bay with drinks, snacks and music included. Then on St. Thomas, there's the Wild Thing Catamaran, a 4,000 hp 100 ft. Cat that goes to Magen's Bay beach with drinks, snacks and music included also.
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:20 PM
1stCruise24

These all sound great, the sailing to a beach excursions sound like something I would love to do! I think I would be a little more at ease knowing the guides will make sure everyone is back on time and the ship would wait for late excursions as well. My girlfriends coworker lives in St Lucia during the winter so we plan on meeting his family and spending the day going to sights with them which should be fun.