Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:17 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Lighthouses - Portland, ME

Hey there -
I will be in Portland this October as part of the Carnival Victory cruise and would love to see some of the lighthouses. I assume I can SEE them when we are coming into port, but if I wanted to go in and look around, I can do that right?
I have noticed that some are only about 5 miles from the Terminal, but what is the best way for me to get there? Will there be taxis at that Terminal? Or is there a better form of public transport? I am trying to avoid the shore excursions offered by the cruise line - it just seems so restricting.

Thanks!

~Carey

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:15 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Lighthouses - Portland, ME

Carey.. I live in Maine although I am 4 hours east along this rocky shore. I believe you should see some of the lighthouses sailing in to port. Portland is not that big of a city compared to other ports, which in some ways makes it nice, but other ways very limited on options to get around. I found a couple links that if you haven't already checked out may be helpful

www.cruisemaineusa.com - there are several links on that site that may help

www.tbfmiami.com/DCNE/ - gives options for transportation from the pier

From what I read, it will be expensive to taxi, if there is one available. I don't know how long you will be in port. Renting a car would be a nice option, but if you do that, be sure to get a road map, and know exactly where you are going. Most of the places to see the lighthouses are very rural, two lane roads and do take time. (remember... life in Maine is at a slower pace and that surely includes traffic lol!!) There are lots of very beautiful and unique places to see. If you get a chance, you should have some real Maine lobster. I think you might find it quite different that the lobster tails on the ship (although those ones aren't too bad!). You will be in Maine in one of the most beautiful times of year.. foliage will be beautiful but it will most likely be cool. I hope this helps.. let me know if I can help more. Lenore
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:02 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Lighthouses - Portland, ME

Thank you so much, that second site you offered had all the info I was looking for and helped me with my Boston planning also.

Thanks again!

Carey

Old May 10th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Carey... I'm from Maine, too (hello islandgram!). A great restaurant within easy walking distance from the pier is Dimillo's. It's a bit "touristy" but you'll find lots of locals eating there because they serve great food. If you like baked stuffed lobster I hear from my husband that they make the best... get the crab stuffing on it. I like my lobster boiled. The restaurant is actually on a large boat so that's fun. You can sit and watch the boats bob in the marina while you eat. There are a couple of pubs between the pier and restaurant that are worth visiting, too.

The last time I went to see Portland Headlight there was a lighthouse keeper living there and they didn't let you in the lighthouse or their home (of course). But you can get great photos of the outside. There's not much else to see or do there, so don't expect much except a good look at a popular landmark.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:05 PM
First Mate

I am dying to try Maine Lobster - I am a vegetarian, but I cannot give up my seafood! As long as I can order something with the lobster already pulled out of the shell, then I'll eat it (and lots of it)!

Thanks for the recomendation, I looked at their website and that does look fun. Its a floating restaurant!

Old May 11th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carey... what you want to order is called "The Lazy Man's Lobster." They'll take it out of the shell for you in the kitchen. But it's very expensive that way... consider getting one in the shell. The waitstaff are very good at teaching you how to get the meat out. Try the fish chowder there, too... yum! Or the lobster or crab stew... oh, I'm getting hungry! They also have a stuffed haddock that's to die for.
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Passenger

Carey, I'm so glad I saw this post

I lived in Portland for 18 years, until I moved down here to Atlanta, 10 years ago. I so miss the coast and the ocean.

The Lighthouse you MUST see is called...Portland Head Light. It is in Cape Elizabeth..which is 2 towns over from where you will be docking. If you can rent a car, that might be ther better way to go. PHL was commissioned by George Washington and is one of the oldest Lighthouses in the US. They have a little giftshop there and it gets loads of visitors.

You will see several other Lighthouse on your way into the harbor. There is Spring Light which is in South Portland and is on a little rock walkway from the beach there, wonderful views of inner harbor there. Its just a really small light, but its quaint, I took my partner there when went to viist Maine 2 summers ago.

If you want more info on Portland, just email me I'd be happy to provide you with other info

Mike
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Passenger

Carey,

Forgot to tell you....DiMillos Floating Restuarant is a fun place. I've taken freinds and family there for years...it's also because it has special meaning to my family.

The Building housing the resturant is actually a ferry that is the floating part used to ply the waters of Narragansett Bay, between Newport (yes THE NEWORT of Mansion fame) and Jamestown , RI. We had a beach house on Jamestown when I was growing up, and my mother went into labor with my sister while we were vacationing there.

So Dad and a friend hussled Mom down to the ferry, took the ferry over to Newport Hospital where my sister was born and then she came back on the other ferry back to the beach house. that was in 1962!

This Resturant was one of those 2 ferries my mom and sister rode those 42 years ago

Mike
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:15 PM
First Mate

Thank you so much for the advice Mike. DiMillos has been recommended to me by 2 other people as well. We are definetly going to check it out after our sightseeing.
We have decided to take a trolley tour that is supposed to let us get off at Portland Head Light and take pics and hopefully give us some time go to into the giftshop for a bit. I cant wait!

Thanks again!
Carey

Old June 21st, 2004, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carey... I was in Portland last week and thought of you! I had lunch at DeMillo's on Thursday and it was excellent. Don't worry about dressing up if you go there. During the day it's quite casual. The Maasdam was in port and it was fun to see all of the "cruisers" around town. It made me want to be one of them!!!

Three weeks from today I will be boarding Crystal's Serenity in Rome!!

Stacy