Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:32 AM
First Mate

Default Need Costa Maya advice

Would it be better to schedule the ship's excursion to Uvero Beach, or just try to do Costa Maya on our own? I've heard you can go to the town of Mahaual on your own and there's shopping and beach and stuff there. Is it safe, or should we stick to the ship's excursion? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Need Costa Maya advice

I have heard that Uvero beach is very nice, talked to a few cruisers that did go. We had a ship excursion planned for that, but had to cancel. I think I'd just do the ship excursion, not much to do right by the pier, some shopping and a large bar/pool area.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Admiral

We took a taxi over the Mahahual and visited the schools there. Brought them backpacks stuffed with school supplies. Very good experience to teach our 10 yr old daughter too who came with us! I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I have my Inspiration pics online at:

http://www.daveandhelen.net/inspirationcruise.htm

Old December 8th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We walked around the shops at the pier and then rented a golf cart and drove to Mahahual. They have a very nice beach there. We hung around for couple of hours and then went back to the ship. The only thing I didn't care for was I found the vendors to be very agressive. There are bars and restaurants right on the beach. We didn't eat anything while we were there as we didn't want to take a chance. From speaking with others on board the two most popular excursions seemed to be either Uvero Beach or the ruins. As we travel with our kids and found out that it was a long ride to the ruins and it was very hot we decided that wasn't for us. We plan to go to Uvero Beach when we're there in April 2005. Hope this helps.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:31 PM
First Mate

Thanks for all the advice. I've booked the Uvero Beach excursion and am looking forward to it. Can't wait to get there!!
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

MHO is NOT to wonder off the beaten path alone in Costa Maya & Cozumel. I don't mean book every excursion from the ships, we took taxi to Chanka Park, just be careful