Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Beginner

Default Please help-Any advice for St.maarten shore tours

We will be in St.Maarten in April and we are looking for any good tour companies or people to take us around the island on both sides and be able to stop along the way. Does anyone have any people or tour companies that they would recommend. Thanks so much!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Admiral

I rented a car once in St. Maarten-it was an easy way to see the island and stop where we wanted to stop.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM
First Mate

We booked the America's Cup race through Royal Caribbean and had a wonderful time. If you book in the morning, you still have time to explore the island and manning a racing yacht was a once in a lifetime chance (unless you plan on going again - which we do!)

Enjoy your trip

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to kristina283

My family is booking a tour in st marteen that does exactly that. You go on both the french and dutch side. that portion is 2.5 hours, beach stops-2hours, and shopping-2 hours. the site is http://www.sxmtours.com !
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Passenger

Default St Maarten Island Tours

Have a look at St Maarten Cruise Excursions http://stmaartencruiseexcursions.com they have an Island tour that goes all over both sides, Dutch and French, butterfly farm, Orient Beach and shopping in Marigot (french side)
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

i would recommend renting a car. our first trip to sxm was a stop on a cruise. the island is very easy to get around, it's only 37 square miles so you can't really get lost. orient beach is a very popular beach with easy parking and plenty of beach activities to choose from. on the french side i would highly recommend parking, easy to find, and try one of the lolo's for lunch. these are located in grand case, plenty of signs to follow. the lolo's are the "oil drums" set up at the beach. our favorite is "talk of the town."

we enjoyed sxm enough on our 1 day stop that we have gone back twice now for a weeks stay.
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediemarie
try one of the lolo's for lunch. these are located in grand case, plenty of signs to follow. the lolo's are the "oil drums" set up at the beach. our favorite is "talk of the town."
Ok sorry for the newbie question but is grand case a beach or a city there? And are there a lot of the lolo's on this place?
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

grand case is a city/town, the main street runs with the beach on one side and what i have heard are incredible restaurants on the other, too expensive for my budget. the lolos are on the beach side about in the middle of the block. 4 of them i believe. we have always gone to talk of the town. the cajun shrimp is faublous!! also grand case is a very nice/quiet beach, found some great sea glass.
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Admiral

if you want to tour the island at your own pace and experience some of the local flavor your best bet would be to hire a cabbie for a few hours and have them take you around.
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediemarie
grand case is a city/town, the main street runs with the beach on one side and what i have heard are incredible restaurants on the other, too expensive for my budget. the lolos are on the beach side about in the middle of the block. 4 of them i believe. we have always gone to talk of the town. the cajun shrimp is faublous!! also grand case is a very nice/quiet beach, found some great sea glass.
Just a couple more newbie questions

We are going to try and see both sides, French and Dutch. We dock in Phillipsberg, how far away is grand case? Is it on the way to the French side?

Also what is sea glass?
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

as i said i would rent a car, once you are off the ship there will be plenty of rental companies to choose from. you could hire a cab for the day, we enjoy wandering around trying to find our way but you might not. if you rent i would just ask someone how to get to orient beach which if i remember correctly is to the right as you leave the area. you'll go around the salt pond, just a big pond can't miss it, then just stay on that road past orient beach and then you'll see signs for grand case.

remember that the island is only 37 square miles so it is hard to get lost. orient beach is also a very nice beach with lots of bars/restaurants that will rent you chairs and umbrellas. you should also know that orient is a clothing optional beach so if that sort of thing bothers you... you won't see too many "neeked" people but you might see a few, more topless than 'neeked.'

sea glass is broken glass that has been out in the sand/ocean long enough that is has been worn smooth. if you get to grand case you HAVE to eat at one of the lolos, i promise, with talk of the town you won't be disappointed.

if you go right instead of left out of the car rental area you will drive past a big building your left with yellow flags. this place is called "rima's", it is a great place to buy souvenirs, the same stuff they will try to sell you on the beach at 1/2 the price.
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Beginner

It is pretty easy to rent a car in St Maarten and not difficult to drive although the roads are pretty congested at times. Grand Case is lovely and has a nice but narrow beach. the best beach on the island is Orient Bay if you look for activities and Happy Bay (a walk from Friar's bay) if you like undeveloped beaches. If you rent a car you could end your day with a nice sunset cruise. Lord Sheffield leaves from close to the cruise ship pier so you sould drop of your car before. It depends on the departure time of the ship if you have time for this, here is the link for info.
http://www.excursionworld.com/tours/10.htm