Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Default advice for "Must Do" excursions to Greek Isles and

We are sailing the Ruby Princess June 21 (We are celebrating our 25 wedding anniversary). Our ports are Rome, Monte Carlo, Florence, Naples, Santorini, Ephesus, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon, Corfu, and Venice. I have been reading books and getting more and more confused!! We want to see and do it all! Any advice on excursions that are a must do?? Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: advice for "Must Do" excursions to Greek Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannaj
We are sailing the Ruby Princess June 21 (We are celebrating our 25 wedding anniversary). Our ports are Rome, Monte Carlo, Florence, Naples, Santorini, Ephesus, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon, Corfu, and Venice. I have been reading books and getting more and more confused!! We want to see and do it all! Any advice on excursions that are a must do?? Thanks!!!
Boy; This is a hard one. There is so much to see and so little time in each port.

In Rome I would advise you to do a full day tour that hits the main sites. I did a private tour where we were able to spend more time at different sites such as the Coliseum, catacombs and were able to stop at a two restaurants for lunch and dinner. It is VERY hard to do both the Vatican and see much of Rome on the same day. If you do want to see the Vatican I advise you use the ship's excursion or a private tour in which they do an advance purchase of the tickets. Standing in line can take hours.

In Athens you can easily see the main sites, on your own, by taxi. We were able to do all of the main sites using a taxi driver for 40 Euros. It was a great day but you will need to pay your own admission to the certain sites such as the Acropolis.

Ephesus is a must see and there are many tours available online or you can use the ship or a tour from shore.

In Florence I advise a full day tour with the cruise line. The distances from Florence and Pisa are a bit far and if you want to see David, the Tower and parts of Florence you will need a highly organized tour.

I also advise that if you are ending your cruise in Venice and there is no overnight then do stay on for a couple of days. Venice is gorgeous and a wonderful and beautiful place to just get lost. You will love it.

I wish I could be more help on the ports but I haven't visited them before.

Have a wonderful cruise and Happy Anniversary!!!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Familiar Face

Default Ephesus

For Ephesus Ruby Princess calls to Port of Kusadasi. The highlights in the area are as follows:

Ancient City of Ephesus: MUST SEE Site for 1st time visitors. A well preserved ancient city which once had a population over 200.000 people. One of the 4 major cities of the ancient world.

Temple of Artemis: One of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. Unfortunately not much remained. Just a column.

Basilica of St. John: Remains of a church built by Justinian the Byzantine Emperor in 6th century. Built on the burial of John the Apostle

House of Virgin Mary: Must See Site for Catholics. Today running as a chapel which is believed that Virgin Mary spent her last 9 years in this house.

Sirince Village: Once a Greek village. Today display a synthesis of Turkish & Greek cultures.

Hope this brief info helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannaj
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Passenger

Once you complete your cruise, I would love it if YOU would submit a message about the "must do's" as my husband and I are sailing on the Ruby September 1st and seeing many of the same ports. Rome, Venice and the Greek Islands, as well as Florence, Naples, Istanbul and Barcelona. Have a wonderful time!!
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

In Santorini, we hiked the volcano and did the hot springs swim. Amazing (and if you are in good shape, highly recommended).

In Mykonos, we took the the Delos excursion which was a terrific and scenic boat ride and excellent tour.

In Rome, try to see the Basillica, the ancient highlights (Colliseum), and go throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain.

In Venice, St Marcos square and the Palace.

Monaco, we werent on a cruise, we were there new years eve day. It was aweome sipping wine at a cafe and watching the jet set arrive.

Ephesus, go to the ancient ruins and to Mary's house. Skip the excursion to the far away ruins. You will see enough in Athens and the main area of Ephesus.

We were on Galaxy last August. Amalfie coast was amazing! Take me back to Sorrento.....

Suzanna