Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM
First Mate

Question Grand Cayman

We can't figure out what to do. The kids are not really into snorkling. We want to get a feel for the island but the tours seem pretty expensive. The kids want to go to Hell.

Besides the major tourist traps what places can we go to?
Good place for lunch?
Nice beaches?
How are taxi prices?
Good place to go for good selection of rum?

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can just get a cab to 7 mile beach. The drivers know of the cruise friendly hotels where you can hang out, he can also stop at "hell" for a quick view. They have a little gift shop there as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Hell is really just some lava and a gift shop. This is pretty much it (hope the picture comes through!) If the kid's really want to go there, I'd take the first Princess excursion listed. I think it's the Turtle Farm, Hell and the Rum Factory.

JMHO,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:48 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Enjoy a scenic island overview and spend time at Dolphin Discovery to learn about these marvelous creatures.

Board your air-condition transportation and travel through downtown George Town. See several of the main landmarks including Fort George, the Legislative Assembly Building, Heroes Square, the Peace Memorial, and many of the banks. Then head straight to Hell--a small tourist area surrounded by unusual limestone rock formations that once led an island commissioner to exclaim, "This must be what Hell looks like!" Prepare your mail with postage in advance (Caymanian stamps are available onboard). Letters and postcards mailed here are postmarked "Hell." Your guide will point out various points of interest along the way including the Hotel Zone, Seven Mile Beach, the Governor's Mansion, and the Old Homestead (an original Caymanian home). Your tour includes a visit to Dolphin Discovery, one of Cayman's newest developments. Enjoy a dolphin mini-show and explore the facilities. On the return, stop at the rum cake distribution center for a tasting of Cayman's world-famous rum cake before returning to town.
DURATION

Approximately 2 hours

PRICES FROM*

Adult: USD $29

Mon Mar 29 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 7:00am 4:00pm

I think we are going to take this tour and it's 2 hrs long. My next question is... What's the nicest beach in the area? Is it feasible it to take a taxi to Rum Point? How long is the ride? How much? And is it easy to get a cab back?

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Rum point past String Ray City, you can take a cab, buts its a rather long and mostly costly ride. They may have boats going over, that is a shorter travel time. They may offer an excursion there, its very nice there, beautiful beach, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Question Trolley Tour

Celebrity is offering a one hour trolley tour.... is it possible to get off the ship and just pick u p a trolley or bus tour without booking with the cruise ship?
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Yes, my DH did his own thing via trolley a few years back. I think he said it was about 4 blocks inland from the ship. The biggest problem is that Grand Cayman has so many tourists that getting back on the trolley can be iffy. Ran into that in Key West as well. So, if you get off the trolley, just be prepared for the possibility of needing to take a cab back to ship so you don't misss it.
Marty
Old March 21st, 2010, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Default Trolley Tour

This particular one you MUST book through Celebrity, which we just did.It maybe theyhave the mornngs for the cruiser and the public during the rest of the day,but I didnt get that from the owner.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Admiral

beach bum 13, a trip to Sting Ray City is a blast, and you don't have to snorkel, you stand on the sand bar and the rays swim around and interact with you, you and your kids might love that. I would highly suggest you check out Captain Marvins website for some really good information
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
First Mate

Thumbs down

Quote:
Enjoy a scenic island overview and spend time at Dolphin Discovery to learn about these marvelous creatures.

Board your air-condition transportation and travel through downtown George Town. See several of the main landmarks including Fort George, the Legislative Assembly Building, Heroes Square, the Peace Memorial, and many of the banks. Then head straight to Hell--a small tourist area surrounded by unusual limestone rock formations that once led an island commissioner to exclaim, "This must be what Hell looks like!" Prepare your mail with postage in advance (Caymanian stamps are available onboard). Letters and postcards mailed here are postmarked "Hell." Your guide will point out various points of interest along the way including the Hotel Zone, Seven Mile Beach, the Governor's Mansion, and the Old Homestead (an original Caymanian home). Your tour includes a visit to Dolphin Discovery, one of Cayman's newest developments. Enjoy a dolphin mini-show and explore the facilities. On the return, stop at the rum cake distribution center for a tasting of Cayman's world-famous rum cake before returning to town.
DURATION

Approximately 2 hours

PRICES FROM*

Adult: USD $29
Well we did not book any excursion. Once we got off the ship there a dozen people hawking what proved to be this tour but for $10. I'm glad we only paid $10 a person because it was not a highlight. You get what you pay for. 15 minutes at the Dolphin Encounter which was worthless. Stand and watch other people at the far end of the pool have a Dolphin Encounter. Then back on to the over crowded "van". (See Photo) Then the Rum Cake Factory. This was OK free samples of rum & rum cake. 15 minutes and back on the bus. Hell was verything people had said is was, or was'nt. That was fine. We were back to the start in a little over an hour. I would not have wanted it to last 2 hours!!! It was good for a quick overview of that end of the island.

We had several people on the tour that made me embarrassed to be an American. Enough said.

We did lot's of shopping and spent lots of money. I bought 5 bottles of rum that I can't get here. All but on were from the Caymans.

Old April 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Angry Dolpin encounters

AS FAR as I am concerned Dolphins belong in the sea..not in an area that subjects them to stress. I don't care what these people say..Very few if even one... are equipped to keep dolphins..never mind the way they are caught and the death of those in their ways of rounding them up.. Bet if you "google" dolphin encounters you will find that there are "incidents" that are not reported.. As far as I am concerned.. free the dolphins.. swim if you must with them in the open ocean. BTW I do know of a middle aged couple who are doing that in the T&C as I write.. has swarm with the sharks in Indonesia..and these are not professional
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM
First Mate

Never swam with Dolphins but I have kayaked with them in the ocean on their terms off the beach on the Outer Banks of NC. Something I will never forget!!! They swam around me for about a half hour. Swimming under my kayak, rolling around on the surface and even jumping out of the water just a fe w yards from my kayak!

Old April 12th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Default In the wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
Never swam with Dolphins but I have kayaked with them in the ocean on their terms off the beach on the Outer Banks of NC. Something I will never forget!!! They swam around me for about a half hour. Swimming under my kayak, rolling around on the surface and even jumping out of the water just a fe w yards from my kayak!
The secret is "their terms".. An ad from a well known entertainment park talks about private experiences and how they can't guarantee that the dolphins will want to interact..lol..Our experience was with whales many years ago before whale watches became big...we were on a small boat out of Gloucester, MA when the Captain told us to bang the side of the boat...we did.. and the whales came over to see who we were....Now the rules of the whale watchings that you have to stay so far away from the whales... but you know BeachBum...nobody has told the whales and these gentle giants are as curious about us as we are about them.. We on the east coast hear all sorts of stories about how these gentle giants show their thanks to divers and rescuers after they have been untangled from nets.
Oh yes, we have "adopted" one.. his name is Stub and he winters off the coast of Samana in the D.R.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Beginner

I love that pciture of the rocks. thanks for sharing.

Jordan.