Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Captain

Smile Live and learn

This being are first cruise my wife and I just went ahead and booked an excurison thru the cruiseline. I was looking around the other day at excursons on diffrent web sites and found one where they were cheaper and they also guarrented (sorry spelling) that if you missed the ship they would put you up in a hotel and fly you to the next port of call on their dime!
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
This being are first cruise my wife and I just went ahead and booked an excurison thru the cruiseline. I was looking around the other day at excursons on diffrent web sites and found one where they were cheaper and they also guarrented (sorry spelling) that if you missed the ship they would put you up in a hotel and fly you to the next port of call on their dime!
The topic of ship's excursions vs. independent excursions is much debated. Ship's excursions are often excellent of their kind and usually reasonably priced. They are extremely secure and convenient.

Independent excursions can also be excellent. The guarantee that you quote above is an unusual one. The thing to remember, of course, is that anybody can throw up a flashy web page and make any sort of guarantee. The proof of the pudding is how they honor the guarantee and what sort of service and what sort of guides they offer.

We have had excellent luck researching the review sites for guides and choosing those that are highly recommended. We have also on occasion taken a flyer on a guide whose website looked good. That has frequently worked well for us, but also put us in less than comfortable positions on occasion. We ran into one fly by night operation on some Caribbean island that was flaky from beginning to end and kept pressuring us for more than the agreed price. Fortunately that is rare.

And as always, price alone is not the only consideration.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Admiral

We usually do excursions independently as we prefer smaller groups or to just do our own thing. But sometimes the ships aren't that bad.

Can I ask what you booked?

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
We usually do excursions independently as we prefer smaller groups or to just do our own thing. But sometimes the ships aren't that bad.

Can I ask what you booked?
My wife and I are leaving March 26th for 14 Hawaii Cruise on the Sapphire Prince with a balcony (first cruise very excited)Are excursion is on Kaui its a 4 wheel drive trip to the top of a volcano.Do not have any other excursions planned my brother lives in hoholulu (bad spelling) and my nephew lives in Hilo. On Maui we wanted to take surfing lessons but they do not do them on Sundays so we are just going to the beach and go shopping have to get the kids a tee shirt or something.
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Oh, you'll have a blast! enjoy

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets