Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Silversea Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Gee Gee

Default Livorno to Cinque Terra

We will be arriving in Livorno & would like to take a day trip to Cinque Terra. We are interested in any suggestions for the best use of our time. We really don't require a guide. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Beginner

Default Cinque Terre Hike

I recommend that you take a train to one of the 5 towns of the Cinque Terre and walk along the paths. If you start from Riomaggiore the path is paved and can be crowded. Despite that it is one of the lovliest views in Italy and much less dangerous than trying to drive along the Amalfi Coast (which some would say is THE most beautiful view in Italy). You could probably wheel a chair or a stroller along it - it is a very easy walk. You could easily do 3 maybe even the 4th town in one day even stopping for lunch. After the 3rd town the path is no longer paved but is still wide and easy until after Vernazza. If you start from the other end, Monterosso isn't a very pretty town (by comparison with the others which are gems), but the path starting there is VERY scenic, definitely a little challenging, and VERY uncrowded. You are basically climbing, scrambling, etc. along an old goat path along the cliffs overlooking the sea. It is gorgeous.

I walked the path from Riomaggiore to Vernazza one year and thought it was so beautiful that I had to go back the next to do the rest of the hike.

If you are around for dinner, take the train up to Chiavari and a taxi to Leivi to have dinner at Ca' Peo. You must make reservations. I had one of the best meals I have ever had there. It has an amazing wine cellar, excellent food, service, and an incredible view. It is expensive but worth it. It is Michelin rated (I think it has 2 stars but I'm not sure). We located it through one of Karen Brown's guide books.
http://www.karenbrown.com/property.asp?propid=4456