Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Passenger

Default How much $ should I budget for?

THis October will be my first ever cruise. What can I expect for expenses while I'm there. How much should I budget for? Just a ballpark figure is fine.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: How much $ should I budget for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermouse
THis October will be my first ever cruise. What can I expect for expenses while I'm there. How much should I budget for? Just a ballpark figure is fine.
Thanks
For a single person 7 day cruise:

$300 Least

$500 Average

$1500 Most

My last cruise: 3 night spend $100 for the whole cruise
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Admiral

For me I prepay or set aside money for shore excursions, and tipping in in advance. I then try to bring aprox a $100 per day spending money. I don't usually use all of it but it's a good safe amount. Towards the end of the cruise, if I didn't spend a lot I might splurge on a piece of expensive jewelry. Got a deal on a Tanzanite in Nassau and an Emerald in Panama nice souveniers of my travels. I always get travelers checks for safety and bring some cash so I can tip cab drivers, port employees etc... Bring a cell phone with long distance or a prepaid calling card too. Also pack the phone numbers of your credit card companies just in case you were to lose a card so you can call and cancell it.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:12 AM
First Mate

I try to book and pay excursions before leaving for the cruise. Any remaining balance for excursions, I use Travelers Checks. Note I buy travelers checks as early as possible so that I pretty much have my trip paid for before I leave home.

I also get $2 bills and $1 bills that is used for tipping - again early on - trip paid for, etc.

At the port you will need to tip the porters at least $1 per bag they load - these folks are not part of the cruiseline.

I take all my cards, credit, debit, medical, driver's license, insurance, registration, passport/birth certificate, etc and make a photo copy of all (both sides) and include necessary phone numbers and leave in the room safe. I've never had to use it but feel safe having it in case I should lose one or all of those docs.

I will take my cell phone and I also purchase 100 minute AT&T phone card just in case. You don't want to make a call from the ship - very very expensive.

I'm leaving for my cruise on Friday and with all the prep above, I will have little necessary spending to do (cabs, meals - arriving 2 days before the cruise).
2003 Carnival Triumph
2004 Carnival Conquest
2005 Carnival Valor
2005 Carnival Spirit
2006 Carnival Valor
2007 Carnival Liberty
2007 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Freedom

2009 Royal Caribbean Grandeur
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:28 PM
First Mate

If I do a pre/post hotel stay I pay in advance so when I arrive it's paid.

Obviously, the majority of cruises are paid for 30 days in advance it's always good to work on your spending money, which some guest don't.
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:37 PM
First Mate

yes - forgot about the hotel - I also pay that way in advance - as soon as the cruise is booked - I book and pay the hotel.

Mary
2003 Carnival Triumph
2004 Carnival Conquest
2005 Carnival Valor
2005 Carnival Spirit
2006 Carnival Valor
2007 Carnival Liberty
2007 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Freedom

2009 Royal Caribbean Grandeur
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks for the advise

Thanks so much for all the valuable advise. Keep them coming.
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think $100/day is right on target. I think I spent about $300 in cash and another $350 on my sign and sail card on my last cruise (7 days). The sign and sail amount included two shore excursions.

Fascination 09/2004
Carnival Triumph 11/2005
Sensation 05/2006

Carnival Glory 9/2006
Old April 29th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Passenger

I remember how one time I only spent $68.00 on the ship's card for a 7 day cruise. I always pay the staff who wait on me with cash for tips.
In ports.... I just walk around or take a local bus to take a cheapy tour. I go back to the ship to have lunch and then go out again. I know how to save money. But recently.... I spent a total of $200 - $300. dollars on my last cruise. Money can be spent really fast if you don't watch it. I am from Los Angeles, Calif. where we have everything we need. Most ports buy their jewelry and things from Los Angeles and China.
I have seen some cruisers spend thousands of dollars on jewelry for their friends and themselves.
How much money you spend is up to you. But I play it safe by takiing my credit cards and $400. in cash for tipping and to buy small items. I always carry small bills in case I want to buy me a drink or take a taxi or take a bus.
Everybody is different on how they spend their money on cruises. I never buy gifts for my family because I come from a family that already has lots of things in their homes, and trinkets will just be put in their storage bin or given away.lol.
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM
First Mate

Luci,

I have to agree with you about the budget, a traveler can over extend him/herself and maynot have enough cash for the taxi to the airport home.

Except for a couple of bottles of alcohol for family that is all I spend and the rest of the money I keep for emergencies. I figure that the ship will provide everything else and since I don't drink I should be ok.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Hi Beetle, I always like to carry cash with me when I am going home from a cruise. One day I had to pay $40. cash to get home on a AIRPORT Shuttle because my credit card cancelled my card because I had not been using it for a long time. Lucky I had the cash to pay to get home.
I have known of some people not counting of having to pay a airport fee in a foreign country when they leave from their airports. Canada and Mexico have the airport fees. I call those fees the money you have to pay to leave their country.lol. Some travelers get really upset.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM
First Mate

Luci,

In my travels to Jamaica they had the same thing, it's call a "Departure Tax". There were guys running around the resort bumming money because they couldn't pay the tax, I even doubt they have the money to get their car out of airport parking when the get home.

As for the credit card, even though I have a couple one of my fears is that the CC company will put a hold or cancel the card. This is why I use them only as a "back-up" and use traveler checks and have spending money on had. I mention before that I pre-pay my hotels pre/post stay so if anything unexpected come up I have everything covered.

People don't realize that unexpected situations come up and it's up to each individual to take responsibility for ourselves.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
Yeoman

All of you are so great with your postings. Such good tips. All I can add is that I take several bottles of water. I don't like the taste of the ship's water (seems there is always too much chlorine), and the bottles they leave in your room are expensive. Ditto for the cold bottles being sold at the gangway as you leave for a shore day. I try to take enough till the first port, then buy more there. It might be higher than what you pay at home but still cheaper than onboard.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:26 AM
First Mate

Another tip to add Pat, ask the cabin attendant who cleans your room to take out the sodas and water so you will not be tempted to consume them.

Also let your cabinmate know that if he/she consumes any of the drinks to let you know so you will not be charged on your ship card. Remember the attendant will not know which one of you have used the supplies so it very important that you set the rules early.
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlegator
Another tip to add Pat, ask the cabin attendant who cleans your room to take out the sodas and water so you will not be tempted to consume them.

Also let your cabinmate know that if he/she consumes any of the drinks to let you know so you will not be charged on your ship card. Remember the attendant will not know which one of you have used the supplies so it very important that you set the rules early.
>>>>Very, very good tips. By asking the cabin attendant to take out the sodas and waters the very first day there will be no billing mistake later. And, of course, have something understood with your cabin mate about all cabin charges, such as beach towels, long distance calls, etc.
Old June 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM
StephenAGoreJr

about 100 dollars per day for yourself. I am in my twenties and do a good amount of drinking. You think the beers are about 4 dollars a piece i drink about 12 a day haha. thats 60 and then 40 to gamble. any other cash needs to be set aside for tips, etc.
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jdfireman Send a message via Yahoo to jdfireman
Default WOW

I would agree with the 100 a day for drinking than tack on money for the Casion and it could be a hell of a lot more. I guess I am drinking a lot i have had 7 day cruise charges as high as 2000K. Not including shore trips. Well as I would say if you have it spend it and enjoy life because you cant take it with you when you go.

Stay safe

JD

PS Don't win a lot in the casion because you may be the next person "Missing" from a ship
11/04/2006 Fantasy
8/06/2006 Sensation Again
6/16/2006 Carnival Valor
12/15/2005 Inspration
5/29/2005 Carnival victory
4/24/2005 Carnival Pride
12/2004 Imagination
6/2004 Carnival Miracle
11/2003 Sensation
6/2003 Dawn
5/2003 Carnival Legend
6/2002 Sensation
7/2001 Sensation
5/2001 Carnival Destiny
72000 Sensation
4/2000 Carnival Triumph
5/1999 Carnival Destiny
5/1998 Imagination
5/1997 Sensation
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:23 PM
StephenAGoreJr

I would say that if you drink a 12 pack that is pushing it and I do that. Add on some expensive drinks and thats 100 a day in beer. I will NOT let myself gamble more than 100 away in a day. So i go to roulette or something witha 40 once i lose i leave for a while and then come back again and do another 60. have fun its a blast!
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Beginner

Many former passengers have suggested $100/day. But what is a given is $10-$15 per day per person in tips for crew members. Regardless if you never eat in the dining room or not, you will be charged for the dining room staffs tips. You can either purchase tip vouchers with cash from the pursers desk or your ship/shore card will automatically be charged. Soft drinks and bottled water as well as snacks/candy are very expensive, however, we have always carried one suitcase filled with soda/water/chips/candy, etc. Although some cruise lines say you can't bring your own, I have done this on 5 different cruises, different cruise lines, and have never had a single problem - when travelling with a 15 y/o on some occasions, this has saved us LOTS of money that we can spend on excursions, etc. The tipping, excursion fees, and alcoholic beverages are the only must charges, everything else is based on extras you want to purchase. Hope you have a great trip!

Michele, Texas
Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Passenger

my extras seem to come up to around 80 a day and I drink and take excursions. ive seen those sail and sign cards over 1000 for people who gamble a lot and get into buying "rounds"