CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Singles (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/)
-   -   CRUISING SINGLE IN A NON-SINGLE GROUP (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/338894-cruising-single-non-single-group.html)

IBCRUZIN' August 29th, 2007 11:05 AM

CRUISING SINGLE IN A NON-SINGLE GROUP

There are so many group cruises being organized that it would be interesting to know how being a solo person affects being part of group cruises that are not specifically organized for single people.

Has anyone ever cruised as a single/solo in a non-single group cruise?

If so, how was it and what were your experiences? Would you do it again?

Angelgal August 29th, 2007 02:41 PM

Hi cruiser gal, Guess what? I have cruised with a non-singles group of a group of people made up of couples, large familes and singles.
Cruise Critic is in the habit of organizing those groups. I have cruised with their group three times. My experience was that I had a lot of fun communicating on the message board and then we all met for ONE PARTY given to us from the cruiseline ship. We were all happy to finally meet. After the party is over I never saw the group again. I would run into some of the people from the group on the ship sometimes.

I have decided it is not worth my time to spend weeks talking about the plans for the cruise and then...... just for one party......hummm..... I don't think it is worth it.

What I can do in the future.... is just to sign in to meet up with the group on the ship and meet them at the ONE party to meet cruisers. Then go on my merry way on the ship.

Have you cruised with a Cruise Critic group?

Another time I cruised to Alaska with a Latino group out of Los Angeles. It was okay. We would only meet at dinner time. I made some friends with some of the single gals. One married gal's husband was ill on the ship so her and I went out together to see a port. It was nice.
One windy night when the winds were blowing really strong in the Alaskan inside passage I was dancing while the ship was rocking and rolling. A real handsome man asked me to dance and we danced the whole night together. Memorable experience.
On formal night I met a Canadian gentleman who loved to dance and we danced the whole night together. Another memorable experience. Humm.

IBCRUZIN' August 29th, 2007 03:34 PM

No, I have never done a cruise critic. From what I read re: their own reviews, it sounded like the entire groups buddied up all cruise long. Oh well, go figure.

I have seen many cruises being organized by one organization or the other and just for information purposes, I wondered what trying to enjoy the activities as a single/solo is like when the activities are not particularly catered to single/solos.

There are so many choices out there it is good to get as many views and takes as possible because going solo (all alone) is just not for everyone.

Angelgal August 30th, 2007 04:55 AM

I think it is really strange that many organized cruise groups from Cruise Critic have group leaders on the message board and they talk a lot about cruising but when we get on the ship it is only one party and then the togetherness is over. I guess it is okay if you have a cruise mate with you but if you don't..... you end up hanging out on your own.

I have tried to make friends with cruisers who are also cruising on the same cruise as I am cruising on in advance of the cruise. We meet up for just one time for lunch and then I never see them again. The reason being is that they have their own plans on the cruise and they are really very nice people but why would I want to hang out with cruisers who have made their own plans when I also want to make my own plans?

My advise to everybody is to not get sucked into joining an organized cruise group from a message board and think you will be spending the whole week of togetherness. The only way I can have fun is if a group leader who plans a cruise also plans some together activities for during the cruise days. I just thought of something else..... if the cruise organizers would also plan to dine together at dinner time at least they could spend some more time together.

I have organized a group of friends to go on week-end land trips to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, and that was a lot of fun because we would hang out together every day and night. We would have a great time and lots of fond memories after the trips.

Planning a group cruise is super hard with my friends because most of them have never cruised before and just don't want to spend all that money for a one week cruise. They would rather use that money to buy something for their home like a new t.v.

This is why I am super glad that many travel agencies see the need to plan single group "hosted" activites. I can just cruise with a ready-made group of singles. I truly enjoy that because I like cruising with groups.

I am also presently learning how to cruise SOLO which I will be doing soon on the NCL Star ship cruising from Vancouver to Los Angeles. There are times when a hosted group is not available on a ship that I want to cruise on. I hope I learn to truly like cruising solo so I can cruise some more on ships that I truly want to cruise on. Angelgal

BornToCruise August 30th, 2007 04:58 PM

I cruised with a non-singles group and it was great. One couple was on their honeymoon, so we saw very little of them. One couple was celebrating their anniversary. And, of course, there were several solo women and a few solo men (not sure if every solo traveler was "single", though). It was a wonderful group of people and I plan to cruise with them again. IBC, I'm not sure of this board's rules on posting websites, so PM me if you'd like the site -- it's an ethnic group. And no, it's not FV or FAS, although they're on my radar to cruise with in the future.

BornToCruise August 30th, 2007 05:26 PM

I forgot to mention that the activities were "group" activities geared toward the entire group, and not "single" activites.

gx94111 September 24th, 2007 03:39 PM

I'm a solo cruiser and am participating in my second Cruise Critic Roll Call. My first experience as part of a CC Roll Call was good. We all got together (we arranged it ourselves) the first day on the ship for drinks. Some people dined together in smaller groups and we regularly sat together on deck during the day or in a lounge in the evening. It was the best of both worlds, time to myself and time with people when I wanted company.

The second CC Roll Call is much more lively and are planning activities together off and on the ship. A group that is dining together has asked me to join them and I've accepted. There are 80 people registered for the Meet & Mingle. Will we all hang out all the time? No. But then I don't expect that.

As a solo cruiser I meet people all the time on the ship and off but it is nice to have a base of folks to start the cruise off with.

Bobby J. September 26th, 2007 10:51 PM

I will be going on my first cruise in February, it's with a group of people on a local rock radio station promotion. I think I will be the only solo going. I am hoping that if I choose not to hang out with them that I will still be able to entertain myself on my own. I will not know any of these folks anyway.
I might meet some of them on the flight as I suspect they will have most of us going out at the same time.

gx94111 September 27th, 2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby J.
I will be going on my first cruise in February, it's with a group of people on a local rock radio station promotion. I think I will be the only solo going. I am hoping that if I choose not to hang out with them that I will still be able to entertain myself on my own. I will not know any of these folks anyway.
I might meet some of them on the flight as I suspect they will have most of us going out at the same time.

Wow, did you win the cruise? That would be very cool. The best thing about solo cruising, IMHO, is the freedom to be part of a group when you want company (it is incredibly easy meeting people on a cruise) or to be on your own when you want. There is plenty to do on the ship on sea days and exploring ports or excursions on port days. You can be as active or not active as you want.

Have a great cruise!