Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Passenger

Default Singles cruise December need advice

8)
Hi, new to the board and wanted to say hello. I just signed up for the VTG December 6th over 40 cruise. I was looking for advice, tips, and anything else anyone can offer me so I have a great cruise. I have never taken a singles crusie or used vtg so I am hoping I made the right choice. I am in my 40s and badly need a vaction; just to bad I have to wait til December.

Danny
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to detroitcruiser01
Default Expect an "older" crowd

Hi Danny,
First, let my qualify my opinions by saying... I have been on 11 singles cruises, with both VTG and CSC. I am in my mid 40's. Personally, I prefer a younger crowd, where the median age is about 38-41... I have quite a few friends under 40 and quite a few over 40... I recommended my boss, who just turned 50 this year, to go on last years 40+ VTG cruise. It was her first cruise, ever, and I thought it would be a good place for her to start.... she is attractive, petite, smart and fun.... she was a bit disappointed that the group was older than she expected... not many men under 50, and the median age was closer to 55....
I would recommend a different cruise for your first time. I totally am a fan of VTG, and I would look at their offerings first, however, the SCS nov 30 cruise is one that I would HIGHLY recommend to any first time singles cruiser. I know quite a few peeps on that trip and they are all very nice.

I am sure this is NOT what you had in mind... but that is my advise.
Paradise '02
Destiny '03
Triumph '04
Conquest'05
Miracle '05
Liberty '06
Pride '06
Conquest '07
Fascination '07
Radiance /Sea '07

RC Voyager '08

Free Cruise Clocks

Carnival Legend Oct 08
[
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Passenger

Default thanks for your advice

I appreciate your advice and I am sure you know what you are talking about however the timing for me had Dec 6th as the perfect time to getaway and I prefer a more sophisticated crowd than a younger crowd. I am passed the days of beer guzzling and hot bod contests. I am just looking to meet interesting people, get some sun, and drink some good wines as I heard Princess Cruise Lines has a very nice wine selection on board. I do appreciate you taking time to reply though as it is nice to hear from others with more cruise experience.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:54 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to detroitcruiser01
Default not sure where you get that idea...

well, best of luck to you.. however, not sure where you got your impressions... I can't remember the last beer guzzling contest I saw.. and as for 'hot bod' contests... nope... not with this group either. AND I have never equated sophisticated with OLD... but we all have our comfort zones.... you will have a very nice time with VTG
Paradise '02
Destiny '03
Triumph '04
Conquest'05
Miracle '05
Liberty '06
Pride '06
Conquest '07
Fascination '07
Radiance /Sea '07

RC Voyager '08

Free Cruise Clocks

Carnival Legend Oct 08
[
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Passenger

I used to run some of the VTG cruises, and if you are looking for an older seasoned crew then the over 40's crew cruise is great. Personally a singles cruise that is over 40's compared to the regular ones are like NIGHT AND DAY.... It may be just want you are looking for relax, some sun, conversation and the chance to share an excellent bordeaux, but the average on the over 40's is usually around 55....

Best of Luck, sounds like you need a vacation!
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Passenger

Default Thnaks DCDarling

I heard the same from some other friends so I defintely feel like I chose the right cruise/ trip. I appreciate your positive feedback. Friends said they had been on another singles cruise company trip (Under 40 crowd) and they felt like it was a college spring break party for 7 days in a row. I am not downing people who like to party hard I just prefer a more relaxing vacation. Thank you again as I am looking forward to it even though December is a long way off.
PS- I think since I am in my early 40s I can help bring the average down from 55.
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:32 AM
First Mate

i am thinking of going on the oct. 26 cruise on royal carrib. freedom of the seas with vtg. any idea of the average age on this halloween cruise would be.? also would this be a bigger crowd than a regular singles cruise. thanks. i am male in my lower 50's but likes a younger crowd.
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Singles cruise December need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastywaves
8)
Hi, new to the board and wanted to say hello. I just signed up for the VTG December 6th over 40 cruise. I was looking for advice, tips, and anything else anyone can offer me so I have a great cruise. I have never taken a singles crusie or used vtg so I am hoping I made the right choice. I am in my 40s and badly need a vaction; just to bad I have to wait til December.

Danny
I took an over 40's cruise this January with the other company (SC) and I enjoyed it much more than the regular mixed singles cruises. I am in my early 40's and was one of the younger ones in the group, but there was lots of energy and activities, without the young group "testosterone battles". The best advice I can give is to use the chat site before the cruise begins and take part in as many of the VTG shipboard activites as you can. After doing two mixed group, and now one 40's+, I much prefer the older crowd.

I was, and still am, seriously looking at your cruise. I have just been waiting to see what singles cruises are going to be offered in January or Febuary, which is my prefered cruising period.

You will have a blast.....
Feb 07 Carnival Squalor
Jan 08 Freedom of the Seas
Jan 09 Celebrity Solstice
Jan 10 Crown Princess
May 10 Navigator of the Seas-Med
Jan 11 Oasis of the Seas
May 11 Independence of the Seas-Canary Is.
May 11 Vision of the Seas-Baltic
Jan 12 Island Princess-Panama Canal
Oct 12 Oasis of the Seas-Halloween
Dec 12 Mariner of the Seas-New Years Eve

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks Cruising Chaos

I appreciate yours and everyone else who has replied as you all are very nice taking time to give me advice. Sounds like you and I both prefer a more sedate relaxing vacation to the frat party style. Good luck on your next cruise and thanks again.

Danny
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Passenger

Default one additional question

Can I smuggle say a bottle of vodka or rum on in my luggage or is that not possible. Sorry if this is a stupid question but just wondering.

Dan 8)
Old May 3rd, 2008, 05:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: one additional question

Quote:
Can I smuggle say a bottle of vodka or rum on in my luggage or is that not possible. Sorry if this is a stupid question but just wondering.

Dan 8)
You can try. But if they find it, they'll confiscate it and return it to you at the end of the cruise (maybe). Most cruise lines prohibit hard liquor to be brought onboard, but that's not saying that people don't successfully do.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Singles cruise December need advice

Quote:
8)

Danny
Tastywaves,

I checked out that VTG cruise and not only is it expense but it's almost SOLD OUT.

Have fun.

Old July 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM
First Mate

Default Re: one additional question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:

Dan 8)
You can try. But if they find it, they'll confiscate it and return it to you at the end of the cruise (maybe). Most cruise lines prohibit hard liquor to be brought onboard, but that's not saying that people don't successfully do.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Just need creative mind -- try using empty shampoo/water bottles.
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Beginner

Danny,

I am taking the same cruise and was wondering the same things. I've taken 3 cruises before, but they were back when I was married. I won't know a single person so I'm already a little nervous.

Gail
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Beginner

What does SC mean? I have been looking at some of the VTG singles cruises and may go on the Alaska one next summer. Does anyone know the avergae age of the regular (not 40+) singles cruise? I am a 32 y/o female and don't know if I would fit in with an older (55+) crowd? Thanks!
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:17 AM
Passenger

Default RE: SC

Howdy:

SC =Singles Cruise.com
VTG=Vacations to Go
CFL=Crusing for Love

These are the 3 biggest agencies that offer cruises but there are others.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...08calendar.cfm

I'd say that you would fit in the median if you are planning to go to Alaska.

IMO Alaska attracts a slightly older crowd, even with a singles cruise but it's the best way to see Alaska if you don't know anybody.

Vell, almost the best way. <G>

Rogue
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Default pre-cruise

For those of you experienced with VTG Singles cruises have you attend the pre-cruise night?
Also from your experience when it comes to shore excursions did you book through VTG in advance or did you book your shore excursions once you got onboard and made some friends?
All my previous cruises were with the wife so solo/singles cruises are new to me.

Have a great day!
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM
First Mate

I have only experienced Cruising for Love pre-cruise night when I did a New Years Cruise and I enjoyed it greatly.

We started out with drinks and conversation and moved the party to Friday's. There each of us introduce ourselves and had a great dinner. As with most CFL events the group was small but we each gotten to know each other during the 3 night cruise.

I personally would not put too much importance on the pre-cruise party but concentrate on the first night meeting while on the ship that is where you will get to know your single cruise mates.

As for shore excursions I would pick one I really want to do activities on go to Carnival online and book and stick with it. Another is when you talk with fellow cruisers at the pre-cruise party let them know which excursions you are doing so they can book them as soon as they arrive on the ship.

Have a great time!!!

Old July 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Default good advice

Beetlegator,

Thanks for the pointers. I plan on booking a horseback riding excursion and a swim with the rays or dolphins trip so I will do as you suggested and if any one cares to join me they can sign up onboard. If you have any other advice on cruising solo/ singles cruises let me know either on the board or PM. Thanks again!
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:00 PM
First Mate

Another suggestion is to contact the VTG hosts which are Roseanne Hahn, Casey Weeks and Shannon Richards talk with Roseanne as she will be the host on the October Halloween cruise.

Looking at this Dec cruise they seem to have freed up some rooms or a few people may have backed out.