Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Beginner

Default First solo

I am thinking of taking a solo cruise in January or February
I have previously sailed with HAL and enjoyed their line.
Would I be better with an VTG group on a different cruise line or with HAL solo. I am not looking for love just friends and people to hang with. If it make a difference I am a 40+ female.
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM
First Mate

i would go solo on either royal or carnival over hal. i've done both and have had a great time. i can't answer for vtg yet as i am trying them for the first time soon. go and enjoy, happy cruiseing.
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Passenger

Hello There,
I did my first cruise this year and went solo on the carnival line. I had the time of my life! I met some great folks and was never bored. I was a little concerned before I went having never done a cruise before but it was almost natural.
I have already booked another carnival cruise this feb 15 out of port Canaveral to the Bahamas. I got a great single rate for only $503 + taxes. I would recommend carnival.
I too am 40+ male.
Good Luck to you.
Bobby
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Admiral

I agree, Carnival is the best line for single cruisers. Never had a bad time as a solo sailor. Bob
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to pennyhunt

How do you find good rates for singles? Whenever I check, they bump you up about 200%. Would love to know the secret.

Carnival Triumph - Eastern Caribbean October 2006
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Default Solo Cruising

Hi Taylor:
I am leaving on my 3rd solo cruise in about 5 days. I can't wait! I'm not "looking for love" either. I just find it so relaxing. I get a cabin with a balcony. It costs alot more but it's totally worth it. This is my 3rd solo cruise in 13 months. Just go with an open mind and be willing to put yourself out there.
I found that most people are really friendly and they seemed a little surprised when I tell them I'm alone. I think they either think I'm nuts or very brave. I'm neither...well, maybe a little nuts. LOL.
This will be my second time on RCCL. The one I did in March was on Princess. I'm a huge Princess fan. I'm on RCCL because it was shorter and that is all the time I had.
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Taylor, I have cruised many times as a solo so I know how you feel! I usually splurge for the balcony cabin also. What the heck, you only live once. Bob
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Familiar Face

I've gone solo on NCL and Azamara , and with a friend on NCL and Princess. Look for a cruise with open dining - and ask for a "sharing table" The headwaiter will usually put you with a group of chatty interesting people. Do some of the activities - trivial pursuit, etc. Azamara was superb! Smile a lot, and be open to talking to strangers... most cruisers are well travelled, interested in all sorts of things, and open to sharing their tips and favorite places to see.
Good luck, have fun, don't expect a miraculous magic love affair, but enjoy the cruise as a chance to be pampered, well fed, and entertained.
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Passenger

I have cruised twice with VTG and had a great time.

I am glad to see other "solo" cruisers and reading your comments. I have always been nervous and unsure of cruising by myself, literally.

I am looking for some type of short trip next April/May. Do any of the lines have cruises shorter than 1 week.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it is very encouraging to me.

Annmarie
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM
First Mate

hi annmarie, cruiseing solo is the best vacation. you have done the group thing, now it's time to go solo. you'll have a great time