Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Beginner

Default Norwegian Dawn

Hi!

I am seriously thinking of taking my first solo cruise next year on the Norwegian Dawn to Canada/New England.

Any thoughts on this ship, I have never cruised Norwegian before.

Thanks

Annmarie
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM
Familiar Face

1/1/10
I have cruised with NCL 5 times and have booked a cruise on the Dawn for a Southern Caribbean on Oct. 22nd, 2010. I have enjoyed all my cruises with them. have read many reviews on NCL ships, with remarks from not to good to great. Cruises don't provide a lot of personal service or gourment meals except for the pay specialty restaurants. The ships are clean and the reception desk people are very helpful from my experience. Don't make your expectations too high, just enjoy yourself. I like to book shore tours with local tour companies when possible as ship tours are very expensive. Get to know your room steward as he can be helpful.

I have been on 12 cruises and have been successful in putting together a group to share shore tours, really lowers the cost.

I live in Vero Beach, FL but grew up in Reading, PA. I'm a retired senior citizen.
Crusinbill
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:31 AM
Familiar Face

Smile

[QUOTE=cruisinbill;1265459]1/1/10
I have cruised with NCL 5 times and have booked a cruise on the Dawn for a Southern Caribbean on Oct. 22nd, 2010. I have enjoyed all my cruises with them. have read many reviews on NCL ships, with remarks from not to good to great. Cruises don't provide a lot of personal service or gourment meals except for the pay specialty restaurants. The ships are clean and the reception desk people are very helpful from my experience. Don't make your expectations too high, just enjoy yourself. I like to book shore tours with local tour companies when possible as ship tours are very expensive. Get to know your room steward as he can be helpful.

I have been on 12 cruises and have been successful in putting together a group to share shore tours, really lowers the cost.

I live in Vero Beach, FL but grew up in Reading, PA. I'm a retired senior citizen and seeking someone to share the cruise and the cost. have done this four times before.
Crusinbill
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The Norwegian Dawn is a great ship and is specifically built for Freestyle cruising. Outside, balcony and min-suite cabins are nice sized. I would call the inside cabins on the small size but I think all inside cabins are small.

There are over 10 restaurants onboard with a variety of offerings from: French, Italian, Chinese, Tepanyaki(sp), French, Steakhouse, comfort and the traditional main dining room.

Many of the alternative restaurants do have a surcharge of $15-$25. If you know this going in and budget $100 you will be able to have some of the best dining at sea. Even without the alternative restaurants the main dining rooms, Blue Lagoon, Pool Grill and the buffet offer great dining.

Freestyle is open seating so you will not have an assigned dinner time. You choose when to dine and where. If you dine in the main dining rooms you can elect to sit with others, as in traditional dining or you can sit with yourself or with someone you have met on the cruise.

The activities on NCL are similar to Royal Caribbean with good shows, pool games, BBQ's, trivia, lounges, discos and parties. The White Hot Party is a lot of fun.

One other thing I love about NCL is on the last day. You can stay in your cabin, get a nice breakfast in the buffet or dining room and leave any time after your color is called. No rush or having to wait in a lounge.

NCL is one of my favorite lines and at the top of my list when choosing a cruise. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me