Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Beginner

Default HAL Ms Amsterdam 1/5/05 Yellow Fever ???

My wife and I our booked on the HAL Ms Amsterdam cruise leaving Valaraiso, Chile on 1-05-05. Would like to hear from anyone who has taken the cruise in the past regarding Yellow Fever vaccination requirements for Brazil. We have been told by HAL that they are required, but have also been told by the Brazilian Consulate that they are not. Any clarification would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:07 PM
gann

Default Re: HAL Ms Amsterdam 1/5/05 Yellow Fever ???

You will not need a yellow fever shot or a visa for your cruise. Have a good cruise.
Don
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: HAL Ms Amsterdam 1/5/05 Yellow Fever ???

Don, thanks for the reply. Do you know why everyone tells us we need the
vaccination and the visa when we do not???? If you know that is great if
not, its not a problem. Thanks for the information. Norval
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:22 PM
gann

We had to get the shot when we went to Manaus, Brazil on the Amazon River and also the visa. Unless you go into the interior parts of Brazil, Peru and maybe other countries, you will not need the shot. They are very expensive and where we live you can only get them in 2 of our Hospitals. They are given only twice a month. If you are just taking the cruise you will not need the shot. I looked at your cruise and couln't see why anyone would say that a shot would be needed. We are booked out of Buenos Aires in Feb. and will end up in Chile and again no shot is needed. Hope that this helps.
Don
Old October 24th, 2004, 01:46 PM
KBohan

Hi... I will be on the HAL cruise in January. I am going to get my shots next week. I will let you know what the doctor advises me. I am going to a travel clinic at UCONN medical center in Farington, CT. I do believe that the advise given you by gann is correct. I read a letter recently to a travel columist complaining that the travelers had gotten a yellow fever shot to see the falls on the Brazil side and then found out that it was not necessary, See you in January... Kathleen.
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:00 PM
TMT

My husband travels to Brazil and did not need any vaccines for entry into Brazil. However, he went to his primary care physician who sent him to the hospital's " travel clinic "which vaccinated him against a number of diseases, including, if I remember correctly, Hep A & B. These were all paid for by his insurance company.
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:41 AM
lopac

I was told that Ecuador requires a yellow fever shot if you arrive there from Peru. Anyone know about that if it is correct?
Old October 31st, 2004, 12:44 AM
First Mate

If you are an American, you do need a visa to enter Brazil. Whoever told you do not is in error. The visa is good for 90 days after you get it, so don't apply too soon. Your travel agent may be able to help you with this.

If you are traveling to Brazil from or through any place where yellow fever is endemic, you must have a yellow fever immunization as well. This would include Peru and Bolivia.

Yellow fever does exits in Brazil, primarily in the Amazon area, although it is also found around Iguassu Falls (as well as dengue fever). Although when I went there it was not required, I decided to get it anyway as a protection for myself. I also have had both hepatitis A and B immunizations (also suggested for all foreign travel). Better to be safe than sorry. There is no immunization for dengue fever. Be sure to wear long sleeves shirts, slacks and use a good quality mosquito repellant in any tropical areas.