Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2001, 12:00 AM
Michael & Missy

Default Just returned (last night) from the Radiance!! An

We just returned (early early this morning) and had a wonderful time. We began in Oahu, cruised the islands and then ended our trip in Ensenada. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!! We'll do our best to answer them!!!
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Just returned (last night) from the Radiance!!

How was the water between Hawaii and Ensenada? We leave the 5th on the new NCL Star.

Thanks,

Laurie
Old November 7th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Michael & Missy

The water between Hawaii and Ensenada was not very rough at all, in fact, one day it was smooth as glass. The wind, however, was pretty strong throughout the cruise. One day it was so bad (50 mph) that we were not able to have one of our two days in Maui (we got to come back the first evening around 6pm), because the tender boats were not able to come along side the ship without really bad waves. We would say that the seas were rougher within the islands, yet not too bad. Everyone just looked like they had had a little too much to drink ;0)

If you have any more questions, just let us know!!!
Old November 8th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Did you guys have to have passports on this cruise? We were told that it would help us if we had them, but now we are less then 28 days to the cruise and getting the passports would be costly.

Let me know,

Also, anything special that you would recommend seeing on any of the islands?

Thanks,

Laurie
Old November 11th, 2001, 01:21 AM
Michael & Missy

Hey there!

We did use our passports for our cruise, but they were not mandatory. My brother was able to use his birth certificate just as easy. The most important thing is to have a picture id or 2. The ship will check your picture id everytime you return to the ship. We seem to remember that at embarkation in Honolulu they asked for 2 forms of a picture id, but like I said, my brother did NOT have a passport and had no problems.

OOOH, the islands!! ;0) There are so many wonderful things to do on each island. My husband is a research hound when it comes to vacation. He gathered tons of useful information. We went a day early to Honolulu and spent some time snorkeling there. In Kauai we saw some wonderful waterfalls, a lighthouse, and hiked the Napali coast. In Maui, (we were there a little over a year ago) snorkeling, beach bumming, shopping, etc. In Kona, we did a raft snorkel adventure - this was definitely the highlight of our trip. We got to see and our boat was pretty much in the middle of a pod of 100 or so Spinner dolphins. WOW!!! In Hilo, we went on our own and got to see some (little known) great lava flows (1990) and were able to travel down a road that took us about a 1/4 mile from the active flowing lava. We did so many things, yet there were so many more we would have loved to do. Depending on your likes, these things may be great for you. If you have any more specific questions about each port, we would love to help you out!

Happy cruising!
Missy
Old July 30th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Just returned (last night) from the Radiance!! An

Hi Michael and Missy,

My wife and I are booked on the Radiance (our first cruise) to do the Hawaii to Vancouver sailing on May 13, 2003. I do have a few questions and since you just came back I can't pass this up.

One thing that I hear and read about only in passing is the room service aboard the Radiance. Room Service is apparently no big deal otherwise other folks would dwell on it more. I would love to hear your comments about room service, the menu, the service, etc.

Another question is one so typical of first time cruisers and it is about formal night. I would like to hear your comments about formal night. What did people wear. I know that the conventional wisdom indicates a tux or a dark suit. Neither of which I own. Do men try to get by with a sport coat and tie and if so does the cruise line allow it? I'm building a consensus on this and would appreciate your input.

Another is about the beverage cards available onboard. Could you advise what you might have learned about them and what they covered, how much, etc.?

How did you find the Chop's Steakhouse and Portofino's?

Nuff for now!

Thanks a lot,

Dave